Using Fitness Pal without Triggering Eating Disorder

Options
I have been in recovery for about three months for an eating disorder, for me compulsive overeating. I am just beginning again to feel strong enough to start tracking my foods. the challenge for me is that all of these websites focus on tracking lbs lost or getting on the scale, or tracking calories, all of which can trigger my disordered thinking about foods. BUT I love being able to simply track my foods and have the computer handle the computations :) That which motivates people who are not suffering from an eating disroder, can trigger mine! I wondered for years why whenever I started a diet, or Weight Watchers, I gained weight. The only time in my life that I lost weight, it happened naturally, without much trying.

I am interested in creating a thread for folks who are coming from the Intuitive Eating world and who have to be very careful with so many of these "weight loss tools" as they trigger destrcutive behaviors. I do not get on the scale (I know I need to lose around 70 lbs) and I am working to change my thoughts about myself, food, movement, etc.

My nutritionist is having me focus on not going longer than three hours without eating, meals are 2 carb units and 2 protein units, snacks can be 2 carbs and 1 protein unit. She does not want me to focus too much on fat units and gives me latitude of 2 - 8 units.

Would just love to know if there is a core group in this community who are recovering by going against the grain and figuring out how to use tools like Fitness Pal without doing harm to themselves.

Thanks!
Jen

Replies

• ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just accepted your friend request. I read Intuitive Eating 4 years ago and it changed my life! I'm now in a place where I can track calories and pounds without it messing with my mind. And if it ever does I just take a step back. It takes time. I'm here :):)