only 1200 cal

Options
Hi I just joined MFP and I have a real hard time with eating just 1200 cal a day. I wonder why I am only allowed 1200 cal. I am not really overweight and I want to keep it that way, but the few cal- are kicking my butt. Can some one explain please?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    How much per week did you say you wanted to lose?

MFP will calculate however much it takes to maintain your current weight (without exercise at all).
    For each half-pound per week you want to lose, they will subtract 250 calories from that maintenance (except it won't go under 1200).
    If you're trying to lose ten kilos, you should probably set it to 1 lb or .5lb per week.

Since MFP doesn't include exercise in the calorie calculations, if you exercise you can also enter your exercise and then eat the extra calories, to maintain the same deficit.
  • hails62
    hails62 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How much are you aiming to lose per week? Because MFP give you 1200 cals to lose approx 1-1.5lbs a week. if you want to loose less then this then change up your details on your account. I did struggle with the 1200 cals to begin with, but you learn on this that you can actually eat a lot using 1200 if you make good choices. Also make sure you eat your exercise calories back if your hungry so you end up eating bit more that day so it doesnt always feel like a diet :) hope this helps
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    If I were you, I would set your loss to a .5 or 1 lb a week. Also, what did you set your activity level at? Sendentary, active ect? I found that when I first started, I didn't have a clue what to start my settings at, and the wonderful people here helped me to get the accurate settings.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    try the calculators on this page, it really helped me!
  • spielundsport
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I guess, I still eat the wrong stuff.