healthy food on a budget

Options
okay, i know i cant be the only person living on a budget, how do i go to the grocery store and buy what i need without having to sell a kidney? lol. i just dropped 70 dollars at the store, and i'll be suprised if what i buy will last me a week. it really is the hardest part of the change for me. i love eating healthy but it is so dang expensive. advice?????? here is a quote i heard the other day, "it's obvious why americans are overweight, when a burger costs 1 dollar and a salad costs 5"

Replies

• shorty44266
    Options
    I am with you on this one......Any advice out there?
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Turkry lunchmeat and whole grain bread. It will last you all week. High fiber cereal and low fat milk. Get whatever greens are on sale that week.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    you may try for bread, going to actual bakeries, they sometimes have a "store" that you can buy their bread. Like here in KC the Roma bakery i was able to get their bread (55 cals a slice) for only 75 cents while at the store it costs 2.19. Also, I look for salad bars where you can load up and then break into smaller ones later.

EDIT: I also use e-meals.com. If you pay for the year, its 5 bucks a month for them to plan dinner for you. They have a ton of meal plans, and I love it. I get the ALDI plan, and just buy the healthier version of some of the ingredients they use.
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Winco....they are awesome!
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. To eat healthy costs so much more than eating bad I really don't have any advice for it but one thing I do is plan my menus for the whole week write a grocery list and that is all I buy. Plus it really helps take the guess work out of "whats for supper?' every night. I try to buy whats on sale and plan my meals around that. Hope any of this helps.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Is there a Trader Joe's near you? They have good prices. Check Target too. Another good place for fresh produce are independent, small mom-and-pop type produce markets.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way too....then when I was conscious about serving sizes I realized that if we ate what we truly were suppose to eat I could stretch things out nicely. Buy steam fresh veggies from birds eye...1.25 each. Put them on your potato or pasta (whole wheat of course:) They are just as nutritious as fresh but you don't have to worry about them going bad quick.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My stores always have buy one get two free on chicken breasts and tenderloins ..so watch the sales i cook all my own sandwich meat but i agree i bet i spend 100 bucks a week for myself and my daughter !
  • Chunky_As_Charged
    Options
    Make use of your freezer!

Only buy meat when it's on sale and in bulk. Then separate it into individual portions. If you buy four pounds of ground beef and know you'll only use 1 lbs and a time... four separate freezer bags.

Same thing for bread... I buy high fiber bread when it's on sale and then freeze the extra loaves until I need them. Or if I have a loaf that's partially used and I know it's not going to be finished before the expiration date... I'll freeze part of it.

Freeze left overs into individual servings.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You sure are not alone here. It is really hard to do. I have been buying alot of lettuce and lo cal salad dressing and so happy fresh fruit season is here. I just get a back of chicken tenders, whatever fruit is on sale and a small veggie tray, a bag of talapia and find recipes that use these items. I also admit to buying alot of Michaelina's light gourmet entrees which i know are loaded with sodium etc... but they cost a buck and its better then starving or going to mcdonalds which isn't cheap either on any level. I live alone so its harder to get items for just one sometimes. We can do it though, We will do it!!!
  • missdabby
    missdabby Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Whole grain cereal, milk and bananas are fairly cheap....but I agree with you, it can get expensive

1610854.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I search for sales usually Walmart is good and I always search for coupons. It's tough but keep doing what you can.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Coupons help :) (not just the ones you get in the mail, there are plenty of coupon websites)
  • mslindsay
    mslindsay Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Get the Sunday Ads, or look them up for the stores that are near you. Buy the Fruits and Vegetables that are on sale and in season. Look for meats on sale and buy in bulk, and freeze what you are not using right away.
  • peachy_keen
    peachy_keen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It can get a little boring (but that made food prep easier for me), however:

-frozen veggies
    -family-size chicken packs (bone and skin them yourself)
    -large bag of brown rice
    -beef / pork (you can trim visible fat) on sale
    -canned tuna
    -plenty of salt-free seasonings just to change things up

I freeze whatever meats I don't/can't use in a week. I always look for sales and clip coupons too. Takes a little time but savings can add up. I do fresh veggies when I can, but frozen is the next best thing. I'm careful about lunch meat for me just because of sodium and other additives.
  • aibell
    aibell Posts: 25
    Options
    I struggle with this, too... Especially when my boyfriend isn't really eating healthy, and I am. He'll eat it if I fix it, but he likes junk food, too, so it throws off my budget when I know some of the healthy items I buy will go bad. I just stocked up on fruit produce with a promise he'll help eat it. I hate seeing fruit go bad!

Seconding the buy frozen Bird's Eye veggies. I LOVE those.

Meal planning for leftovers is hit or miss for me. I try to do it, but something always "comes up" during the week, and I end up not making dinner for a night. When I can stick with it, it's awesome to have healthy leftovers to take to work with you the next day!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Where do you normally shop at? Is there an Aldi near you? If so...GO THERE. Broke college kid here & Aldi is a life saver. What type of groceries do you normally get? What type of meals do you normally have? See which items you're eating that are costing the most & try to replace them or just eliminate them.

I have a smoothie most mornings & the ingredients for it normally cost me less than $8 for the entire week. Frozen peaches [$3], banana [normally barely over $1 for a bunch], spinach [$1.50], & half a cup of milk [could do it without milk so that saves some money...$2.50ish for a half gallon].

You could also do a peanut butter & banana smoothie for even cheaper...& you don't necessarily have to have them just for breakfast, can have one for lunch if you're on the go or something.

So yeaaa, there's one idea. Lol. :)
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Farmers markets can be a good place to find cheap fruits and veggies. You'll find the freshest stuff earlier in the day.
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...

I tend to stick with some of the same foods that are more filling and decently priced. Some examples:

1) salads with shredded lettuce, 1 roma tomato, 1/3 of a cucumber, sprinkled cheese, & cut up sliced turkey

2) I look for the deals on frozen food meals for lunches so whatever is under 400 calories & are on sale for the week (Tops seem to be the best for weekly sales)

3) sandwiches with thin rolls, turkey, cheese slice, lettuce

4) If you have an Aldis, they have decent prices for fruits/ veggies but I can't always find American grown produce here

Don't be afraid to look for coupons or go with store brand products! They save me wonders.
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    We spend WAAAAAYYY too much on groceries and I hate it, so I understand what you mean. One thing that's helped me is having a couple of staple foods that I always have that aren't so expensive to kind of use as fillers. I keep tons of dry beans in the house...you can get those for something like 89 cents for a bag...and I cook a lot to throw in salads, soups, wraps, etc. So...that's cheap. Also, I found I was throwing out produce because I was buying a whole bushel of broccoli or whatever, using part of it, and then forgetting about the rest. So, when I can, I make use of the grocery store salad bar for pre-cut, smaller amounts of vegetables. For about $5, I can get some cut broccoli and onions for soup, peppers and mushrooms to put in my eggs, and snow peas, peppers, and whatever else for a stir fry. Sometimes I'll even throw in some banana peppers, olives, and whatever else to put on mini-pizzas. That's saved a fair amount of money, and lets me get a variety of vegetables in amounts that I can actually use before they go bad. Always we keep a huge tub of spinach in the house...those are relatively inexpensive and can be used for anything. And definitely load up your freezer and look for things on sale. I am becoming a pro at looking for that orange "manager's special" sticker on meat at Kroger. Eating healthy on a budget CAN be done...you just have to be a little creative about mixing and matching a few inexpensive items to make different dishes. Good luck!