Just found out I can use my dads p90x

hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
My dad just told me he has p90x and I can use it. (yay!) However, I don't have the pull up bar and I don't have heavy enough weights. I am a total beginner when it comes to strength training.. so my question is, how heavy of dumbbells should I get? And how many? The heaviest ones I have now are 8lb lol.

Thanks

Replies

• sportsciencegirl
    sportsciencegirl Posts: 36 Member
    I'm wondering the same sort of thing - like I have weights - up to 25kg (I can buy more but I don't want to yet) ... I'm wondering more about pull up bars - this is the only thing I don't have! Any other recommendations?

Oh also on the supplement side of things - did those people who done it use the supplements they recommend...or is there alternatives...
  • ChristinePechulis
    ChristinePechulis Posts: 52 Member
    You can probably start out with the 5 and 8 lb. weights. You may need to buy 10s and 12s as you progress through the program. You can purchase a pull-up bar that is removable (you put it up and take it down each time) at any Target or Wal-Mart for around $20. You can also use resistance bands for the pull-up bar exercises -- they show you how in the DVDs.

I definitely recommend Shakeology while doing these programs, but a clean, unprocessed diet will do wonders as well.

Hope that helps!
    Christine
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Not sure what your current fitness level is now, but there's no reason you cannot start P90X with 8 lb weights, particularly if you do the "Lean" routine. "Lean" is a bit heavier on cardio and for strength you increase your reps with lighter weights. It will be tough if you don't have a chin-up bar, though. Is it cost prohibitive for you to get one? I think you pick up something at Walmart, even. Also, try eBay and Amazon. Good deals there! I'm fortunate enough to have a weight/exercise room, so I have a lat bar that I use in place of a chin-up bar. I'd like to have a chin-up bar, but my door isn't really placed for it to be convenient at all.

As you progress… which you will quickly if you put yourself into it… then buy 10, 15, and 20 lb dumbbells. Another thought would be to invest in an "adjustable" dumbbell set. I've never used them, so I don't have an opinion. But, they will take up less room that several sets would.

Another light option are the resistance bands. I got a very nice set on eBay for less than$20 for the "buy now" price. However, I really don't like using the bands. I much prefer the dumbbells, which give you consistent resistance throughout the entire move. But, still, the bands would be great to travel with!

Best of luck in your P90X adventures! This is day 31 for me in another round of the "Lean" and this time I'm putting my all into it!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    You can probably start out with the 5 and 8 lb. weights. You may need to buy 10s and 12s as you progress through the program. You can purchase a pull-up bar that is removable (you put it up and take it down each time) at any Target or Wal-Mart for around $20. You can also use resistance bands for the pull-up bar exercises -- they show you how in the DVDs.

I definitely recommend Shakeology while doing these programs, but a clean, unprocessed diet will do wonders as well.

Hope that helps!
    Christine

The Shakeology is incredibly expensive… at least that's my opinion. But, there are other good "workout" supplement drinks. Just be careful and read the labels. You can probably print off the shakeology nutrient label and compare. But, yes, you need to feed your body good stuff. I'm still working on that one, myself. :) I like the good stuff… but also the not-so-good stuff. LOL
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    You won't know how which weights you want until you start the program and decide what your goals are, building or toning. I have several dumbbells setup with various weights so that I don’t have to change them out during the workout. Before you go out and spend a bunch of money on weights, do some of the programs and sort of figure out what you think you are going to want for each move that requires weights. There is also the option of bands, not a fan of bands myself, but to each his/her own. As for pull-up bars, my wife and I use the kind that you put in the doorway. These are available at most stores such as Target, Meijer, Walmart, etc. They have worked fine for us.
    Supplement-wise, we have been using the Beachbody stuff, Recovery Drink, Shakeology, EandE, etc. We like it, and it has worked for us, but you will find as many opinions about this topic as there are members on MFP.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Have done P90X many time, on my 8th round now, after just finishing 90 days of P90X2. Have also done doubles rounds a few times.

Incredible results every single time. Lost 60 pounds total, from size 18 down to 7, age 47

You can certainly do the program and have great results WITHOUT the P90x supplements, many people do so. I have done so with no supplementation at all except a multivitamin. Though I now do use supplements, vitamins, fish oil and MSM. But thats for my personal overall health and body function, and to meet my personal fitness goals based on whats needed for my individual situation..

There are also great supplement alternatives that are cost effective, and IMO produce "similar" or in some cases better benefits. But they are NOT necessary - and will not replace a good workout plan, and good diet. They only can help tweak things some. Never feel sport enhancement supplements are "the fix" or a "must have", they are only one small part of a good workout and diet and lifestyle plan.

Some people prefer the BB supplements, and if that fits your budget, and goals, and you like them. Thats a fine choice also. But you are not stuck as that for the only beneficial choice. Depends on what you want personally.

A good protein powder is handy. My favorites for both flavor, and protein levels. BSN Synthia 6, BSN Dessert Lean, Optimal Nutrition 100% Whey Gold. I use protein, because it is hard to meet all my protein needs on food only, with the calorie range I stay at. But you can do this with diet only, depending on your diet and calorie levels. There are also a number of other protein powders or bars you may prefer for your personal diet goals and taste. I usually have one to two a day, depending on where my macros and calories are that day.

For Creatin (if you want it, optional) - go with Optional Nutrition Creatan (Vitacost, or Amazon have good prices) Tasteless, and can be added to anything, even taken straight. Great help for muscle building and recovery repair and soreness issues. A teaspoon goes in my AM protein shake daily.

If you want a pre workout energy drink, I like Jack 3D. A stimulant, and nitrous dioxide drink, helps me get in a few extra reps with a bit heavier weight. I find it helps me improve my overall strength and muscle gains in a "cycle" when I use it.
    Optional, and usually only used when you are at a more advanced range. When you already have good form mastered, and understand the limits and ranges your body can comfortably work out without injury. I work out early AM, fasted, so helps with energy in the morning to get me started.

If you want a "recovery" drink during workout, and after, Scivation Extend. Contains BCAAs to help in soreness, repair, and preserving lean muscle form cannibalization if you workout fasted (which I do). If you eat before working out with protein and carbs, this is not really needed usually. Water during your workout, and Some chocolate milk post workout will be as beneficial in that case. (lowfat chco milk is less protein then a protein shake, just FYI, so for me, it will never replace my protein shakes)

A good multivitamin with an effective antioxidant blend and a good vitamin range is recommended, and can provide many beneficial herbal extracts at more effective ranges then Shakeology. Just my opinion. Vitacost has some great blends, in their NSI line. I personally take one of the GNC multis, though there are certainly better products out there. But this works well for me, and I feel gives me what I am looking for.

Personally I do not eat 100% clean, all unprocessed foods, nor do I feel it is necessary. I do try to make good food choices, generally, and aim for nutrient rich foods, so I get more bang for my calorie buck. But I also have a free day once a week. And I eat cookies, chocolate, pizza, a soda now and then, junk food now and then, sugar, white flour, white and or brown rice, pasta, carbs etc. Normal foods, that me and my family like. I do not feel there are any bad or evil foods.

I just manage my food choices based on my calorie and macro goals for that day. Or if I need a big splurge - save it from my free day.

Pullup bar - get the in door model from Walmart. Pullups really are a great full body workout, they do alot for arms, back, chest abs and core. Even using a chair, or pullup assist band. ( i personally really like the BB pullup assist band), helped my, more then the chair to actually be able to do actual unassisted pullups)

I personally feel the Classic program is much more effective overall then the Lean. The Lean is higher cardio, thats true - but building lean muscle mass will create better overall fitness improvements, and body composition changes, including fat loss. You will really get better results lifting higher weights lower reps, rather then light weights (which are more an endurance exercise, then helping create lean muscle).

Starting with lean is great, if the classic intimidates one, but everyone should really try the classic at some point for 90 days, I think your will be surprised at the body changes. The program was originally created with the classic only, for most dramatic results. Lean was only added later, for those who did not feel comfortable, starting with classic.

I personally feel the free weights give a better overall workout then the bands. But if bands are all you have- start there and give it your best. It will still benefit you.

Start at bands or weights that work for you - and increase weight or resistance based on YOUR needs. Aim for 8-12 reps, wher you feel you cannot do one more rep at all - when the last three reps are easy, consistently - increase resistance or weight loads.

I started with 5, 8, 10 and 12 pounds dumbbells. And slowly added ether one new dumbbell pair at a time, or a small set of weight plates with two dumbbell bars (to build your own) about $40 at walmart. I am now up to using 50 lb dumbbells. But It has taken me a few years to get there. :)

I personally find I get best results with P90x doing the following.

A slight calorie deficit, but not "too" low. To low you will lack energy, and also find your recovery slows, and limit muscle improvement.

Higher protein level, .50 to1 gram per pound of lean body mass. When protein levels are to low, fat loss stalls, muscle repair stalls, muscle improvement and strength stalls, and in my case I plateau. I aim for 90-100 grams of protein every day, even on non weight days. The body builds muscle every day, especially when resting. So it never made sense to me, to only eat protein on strength training days. :)

Eat enough carbs for your needs. To low, you have no energy when lifting or doing plyo.

Low reps higher weights (or if using bands, increasing band resistance or size) gives more bang per your buck.

You will improve muscle faster, increase lean muscle, burn fat better, tighten up all over. There is no such thing as "toning" - that's very old school thought process. And I know Tony says use many reps light weights so you don't get bulk - but remember the DVD series is about 10 years old now. That information has since been proven to be inaccurate, in a number of studies

A women is not going to "bulk" with low reps high weights, when you are also in a calorie deficit, or even at maintenance range, with your standard diet, and without "drug" help. (not talking over the counter supplements here or protein, but inject-able drug products to alter your hormonal state). Also keep in mind female body builders and fitness models are all at very low body fat levels for competitions events - to allow you to "see" their muscle tone. Off season they all look much softer and feminine, as they allow their body fat levels to raise a bit more.

P90X will not make you look like a female body builder - even lifting heavy weights. I don't, I just look athletic, with lots of softness when I am unflexed, but some definition. But little jiggle, and good tone all over. If I flex though you see muscles on my arms and legs. So to get "toned" - low reps, heavier weights will get you there faster and more effectively.

It will enable you to build muscle which will lean you out and tighten you all over - BUT you must lose the FAT ontop of and around the muscle as well. If you see bulk - you are seeing the fat still left on your body, that the muscle is pushing around and out. As you lower body fat, you will get smaller tighter and less bulky. :)

Many women on these boards are proof, including myself.

measure inches every 30 days from a multiple of sites on body. Not all areas loss at same rate. If you use scale numbers only, you can get frustrated. Its not unusual to appear to again a few pounds, or "seem not to loss" when starting, or changing resistance ranges in a strength training program. This is normal, and not indicative of failure. Rather indicates you are holding water for muscle repair, which is actually a good thing, and not indicative of fat loss.

Push your self hard, every time. Do your best, modify when needed - and keep going. Do it everyday - even when you donot want to - make a commitment to do the 90 days no matter what - many of the changes show in the last 30 days.

Do everything, even if you can barely do it, or need a chair or are on your knees - do the best you can. Pullups, push ups they are very important. Even modified.

Yes it really IS important to write doe the reps, and weight used every single time or you find you are not going to be able to judge improvement or posh yourself as you should.

When a routine gets easy, start doing advanced options. Keep moving in rest periods (add in burpees, jogging in place, pike situps with a weighted ball), add weights onto cardio, hand, wrist, ankle or weighted vest. On kempx hit a body bag. Do arms up moves, or add in hand weights on Jacks, Mary Katherine's etc.
  • bono
    bono Posts: 179 Member
    A few of us did a p90x challenge at the end of dec and are starting another challenge beginning tomorrow. If your committed and want to join send me a message and I will add you in
  • SkinnyGal08
    SkinnyGal08 Posts: 56 Member
    I would like to join I'm starting tomorrow!!!!!
  • from personal experience.. I'd tell you to lift heavy, go to the store and get some weights they arent that expensive... a pull up bar is $19 at walmart if not get some bands... I promise you, you wont bulk up you'll only tone.. we dont have enough testosterone to bulk up... either way good luck and add me if you'd like im almost done with my first round of p90x.. also do the classic routine and not the lean... the lean version was created for women who are afraid of weight or simply dont want to lift.. why is beyond me.. but since you wont bulk up why not do it the classic way? the best way :D
  • lovesauburn
    lovesauburn Posts: 23 Member
    I would like to join too. My 22 yo son was visiting and has been doing P90X for ~ 6 months and looks and feels amazing. He is taking better care of his body which is great considering he is in Santa Barbara attending college...much less fast food and less alcohol. He's sending me his P90X so I will be starting ....probably a few days late though.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 992 Member
    I would love to join a group that's starting p90x tomorrow! That was my plan but I could use some support!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    If you live in the states you can buy dumbells and pullup bars very cheap on craiglist or at walmart. Also if you have trouble doing pullups, use a chair and push of it with one foot just enough to help you get enough reps in. Good Luck!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Thanks guys! I'm not worried about bulking up; I've seen all those "women who lift" posts on here lol! I was planning on doing the classic version because I am also doing C25K so I don't need or want any more cardio. And I guess I'll just do it with the 8lb weights and see how that goes. I want to use as heavy of weights as I can though so I'll probably go buy more from walmart or somewhere.

I might still not start it for a while because I don't know if I have enough time to devote to it yet. Maybe after school gets out in May. (graduating May 4!)

Or maybe I could just do p90x 3 days a week?? Although I'm not sure how I would do that since the schedule for p90x is very specific... what to do, what to do...