Bathing for Weight Loss

Options
I came across an interesting article today that, with some scientific merit, explains how through regular bathing you can lose weight, even eating at maintenance levels and doing no exercise;

'In a study conducted on 48 individuals, split into two groups; 12 men and women in each, we had one group bathe twice daily for three weeks and the other not bathe or wash at all. The intention was to study the effects regular bathing has on oil excretion and cell hydration.

Greasy hair and skin is basically caused by large amounts of oil that accumulate. What you eat can definitely affect your oiliness as well. Foods that are high in fat, sugar, preservatives and addictives can be a major cause of greasy hair as they can increase the oil levels in your body. If your diet regularly consists of red meat and lack of vegetables, it may cause a deficiency that leads to more oil production. The theory was those that washed away the oils would expend more stored fat replacing the oils they had stripped away.

Every individual was weighed and had their bodyfat tested before the trial began. Results were taken every week on Friday at 10am. The results were as follows;

Control Group
Average Starting Weight of men: 141lbs
Average Starting Bodyfat of men: 20%

Average Starting Weight of women: 126lbs
Average Starting Bodyfat of women: 29%

Men Week 1: 141lbs / 20%
Women Week 1: 125lbs(*) / 29%
Men Week 2: 141lbs / 20%
Women Week 2: 126lbs / 29%
Men Week 3: 141.2lbs / 20%
Women Week 3: 126.1lbs / 29%

Test Group
Average Starting Weight of men: 144lbs
Average Starting Bodyfat of men: 21%

Average Starting Weight of women: 120lbs
Average Starting Bodyfat of women: 24%

Men Week 1: 143.8lbs / 21%
Women Week 1: 120lbs / 24%
Men Week 2: 143.6lbs / 21%
Women Week 2: 119.9lbs / 23.5%
Men Week 3: 143.1lbs / 20%
Women Week 3: 119.8lbs / 23.4%

(* Suspected erroneous result)

The conclusions we drew from this were as follows;
- Although oil production uses fat stores in the human body, the effect of oil replacement on weight is minimal.
- Men tended towards losing weight more easily.
- Men's weightloss seemed to accelerate the more often they washed, where women's weightloss was fairly linear and may have been affected by outside factors such as Menstruation.
- Not washing for 3 weeks caused men to gain 0.2lbs in grime and filth. Women are cleaner, so were less affected.'

The full article can be read at www.mdreports.com/weightloss/oilbathing.htm

Happy April Fools :)

Replies

• ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Funny, funny!!!!:laugh:
  • tracferg
    tracferg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    LOL okay I was sitting here thinking OMG someone spent money on this study? And then I thought "wouldn't want to be around the control group" and then I read the last line:laugh:
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Weight loss from bathing can be seen in the third group where the men bathed the females and vice versa. However, it has yet to be studied whether the weight loss was from the bathing or the strenuous activities that followed that co-ed bathing!
  • ogypsy0soulo
    ogypsy0soulo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was like, you're kidding right now, right? How bonkers.... OOOOOOoooooh.... I get it.... LOL ;)
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, if I weigh myself immediately before and immediately after a shower I consistently lose about point 4 pounds between the two weighings.

To head off the "you shouldn't weigh yourself too often" crowd...I don't put any stock into those numbers and only pay attention to my "official" once a week weigh-ins.

It might have something to do with the moisture on my feet...our scale is electronic and there are metal pads you stand on to weigh.

Simply an anecdote I found amusing in conjunction with the obvious 04/01 story above.
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Halfway through this I thought... oh wait.. its April 1st today!!! lol. Got me!!
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Oh, you...
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    ha, I believed it, me=easily amused
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    :laugh: That was good, happy April fools day
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, if I weigh myself immediately before and immediately after a shower I consistently lose about point 4 pounds between the two weighings.

That is some serious exfoliation, dude!

:happy:
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    ha, I believed it, me=easily amused

Same here! Pretty funny!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :grumble:

I was reading.............................

Drawing a bath................

:tongue: :laugh: Good one!
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that your post may be intended for an April Fool's joke....
    There can be other benefits from bathing as well. Dr. Mark Hyman published a book called the UltraSimple Diet in which he is a proponent of daily bathing for detoxification...His daily "UltraBath" of very hot water with a mixture of Epsom salts, baking soda, and lavender oil is a key component of his program. Dr. Hyman says this bath relaxes the nervous system; lowers cortisol and inflammation, promotes weight loss, detoxification, and healing; enhances sleep; increases circulation and heart rate; and lowers blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that your post may be intended for an April Fool's joke....
    There can be other benefits from bathing as well. Dr. Mark Hyman published a book called the UltraSimple Diet in which he is a proponent of daily bathing for detoxification...His daily "UltraBath" of very hot water with a mixture of Epsom salts, baking soda, and lavender oil is a key component of his program. Dr. Hyman says this bath relaxes the nervous system; lowers cortisol and inflammation, promotes weight loss, detoxification, and healing; enhances sleep; increases circulation and heart rate; and lowers blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
    All very true, but I doubt you need all that extra stuff :) A hot shower relaxes me completely.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

That is some serious exfoliation, dude!

:happy:

Maybe substituting the sanding block for the loofa wasn't a great idea.
  • alexislkent
    alexislkent Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Totally got me! I even went to the link before I figured it out! I had already decided to add in an extra shower each day LOL!

Great one!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    lol, - too bad you couldn't see my face while reading that.:huh:
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hmm... if i bathed twice a day and had to see myself in the mirror naked im pretty sure the lbs would be dropping off like crazy! LOL!!
  • duetwithjosh
    Options

I pee in the shower, too =p
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Great one!