Healthy Protein Snacks

Options
I'm at a loss for how to incorporate healthy protein-type snacks to my current diet. As I'm a nurse on a VERY busy broken bones floor, the requirements are:
1. The snack must be portable. As in, it's can't be too messy or crumbly
2. I already have a protein bar incorporated into my meals, so that's out
3. It can't take toolong to eat, so shelled nuts and such are out.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm worried about this because I'm attempting a strength-training compatible diet, but the protein seems to be coming up short for me.

Thanks y'all!

Senie

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    What about nuts not in a shell? Those are easy to nibble away at when you have a chance for a few. Measured out you can control the calories you eat.

Celery sticks and peanut butter? You can make those before work and eat one when you have a chance to.

Apple slices with peanut butter as well.
  • Mojofiendish
    Options
    Soya nuts (beans). REadily available in most supermarkets and health food shops, look in the nuts/wholefoods counter. Soya nuts are just soya beans roasted and are really tasty. No fiddly shells either just munch away! High in protein.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    You could make protein balls, there are a ton of recipes out there

They basically consist of;

Protein powder
    Peanut butter
    Chopped nuts/fruit
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Cheese squares, peanut butter on fruit, nuts and just taking along some protein powder in a bag are my go-to portable protein snacks.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky & nuts
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi,

How many grams of protein do you need to eat with snacks?
    Once you provide us with a number of grams, I am sure we will be better able to suggest? (and which protein bar do you use BTW?)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...Would love to hear some ideas for protein...
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Little tuna packages. Should be sold in most convenience stores, even come in different flavors. Delicious!
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    string cheese
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Trail mix, tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad (all can be made ahead of time and put into tupperware and eaten with a spoon) Special K Protein shakes are good and easy if your on the go. Turkey and cheese roll-ups. Beef Jerky, cottage cheese mixed with fruit like apples or pears or peaches, Lentils, Peanut butter on rice cakes (super good on the caramel ones and their only 50cal's).

and I make my own protein shakes but am trying to up my b/f's protein too cause he requires much more then me so we have resorted to adding a scoop of Vanilla protein to almost anything that we can, I make homemade oatmeal raisin cookies and add a scoop to that, cottage cheese you could add it too, homemade pudding, or jello. Anything lo-cal (normally sweets) because of the flavors of the protein shake mixs. Good luck!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I second power/protein balls!
    I also think there's nothing wrong with carrying around a shaker bottle of powder to get a nice tasty semi-meal in.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Jerky is what I eat. MMmm So good
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like the Proxmax Cookies and Cream bars. I eat half with a bottle of water, and I'm satisfied for quite a while. I save the other half for later in the day.

I also take Isopure vanilla shakes to work and keep a shaker bottle in my office. I can't believe how full I am after having one, and they're quick.
  • vlaura
    vlaura Posts: 93
    Options
    protein shakes!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    muscle milk, i like the chocolate, but you have to have it cold otherwise it's gross
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs (already peeled), skim Mozzarella Cheese sticks, raw almonds or walnuts, nut butters on celery. Do you have access to a frig? If so, plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Jerky and cottage cheese.
  • minihousemouse
    minihousemouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Takes about 10 to 15 mins of prep and cooking time but well worth the little effort: oatmeal pancake = 332 kcals. 30 gr of plain oatmeal, 3 egg whites (the dog gets the yolks in our house :o) ), 1 scoop of protein powder (I've used Chocolate Cookies flavour from PHD Pharma) and 40 gr of dried fruit (have used raisins with cinnamon and dried blueberries). Alternatively, use vanilla flavour and 1 chopped apple and a tsp cinnamon. Or experiment and add your own fruity flavour. Mix all together until you get a batter-like consistency and then pan-fry at medium heat (I use setting 6 out of 9). I use a non-stick pan and don't use any form of oil or grease. Since time is of the essence in our place, I put the pan on the hob to heat up whilst I mix the batter. By the time I've done that, the pan is ready to go. Once done, wrap up in foil and enjoy when you get time. It keeps all day (without fridge). I also find that it's so rich and filling, I can only eat half of a pancake and save the other half for later. And it barely crumbles. :o) Good luck!!

For those struggling with protein at breakfast - I use 30 gr oatmeal and microwave it for 2 and a half mins with water. Then add 1 scoop of PHD Pharma protein powder (chocolate cookies and strawberry flavour go well, as does vanilla with added cinnamon) and stir well. If too solid, add a little milk or some more water. The protein powder gives an otherwise bland porridge a nice flavour. A filling and low cal breakfast which contains enough carbs and protein to keep you going until mid-morning snack time.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I second string cheese- it's the perfect portable protein snack.
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump