Running

NCHICK80
NCHICK80 Posts: 35
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone not run alot in their life and now want to me a runner. I was thinking of starting to run but its been A LONG time since I have.. any suggestion on how to get started and over that fear your gonig to call. Its like riding a bike again after not having a bike for like 10 yrs... :happy:

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    I was the kid who got kicked off the track and field team because I flipped off the running coach when he told me to run faster. True story. I mean, I was a thrower, why did I need to worry about distance! :laugh:

All you can do is get started. I recommend C25k, there's always a group going on here. Its worth it. I was always a terrible runner, and now I can run for a half hour straight... working towards more.
  • NCHICK80
    :happy: okay :) wow 90 pds lost you go:) .. cant wait till im there as well:bigsmile:
  • I never thought I could be a runner but always wanted to...well finally 5 years ago I decided to try..and it changed my life! I LOVE it and it changed my perspective on health...I've now run quite a few half marathons! I also now train and coach others-it's been a great journey..and all because I laced up my running shoes one day and had faith that I could do it!
    I used www.halhigdon.com-great FREE training programs that guide you based on YOUR level-and he gives info to modify it for you too.
    Good luck!
    Casey:bigsmile:
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    I was the kid who got kicked off the track and field team because I flipped off the running coach when he told me to run faster. True story. I mean, I was a thrower, why did I need to worry about distance! :laugh:

All you can do is get started. I recommend C25k, there's always a group going on here. Its worth it. I was always a terrible runner, and now I can run for a half hour straight... working towards more.

So, is there ever a point that you feel like your lungs are NOT going to cave in??:laugh: I swear, I have been trying to run for prolonged periods of time FOREVER and I just can't do it!! I am a pro at intervals, but when it comes to lengthening my times, I am stuck. Any hints to overcome this? I tried to do the C25K, but I didn't make it past the week that has you run more than 3 mins at a time.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I just recently got into running. My daughter got me started on the C25K program. Before that, I couldn't run at all. Granted I'm still doing week 1, but it's pretty exciting knowing I can actually run even that much. The other day my son told me he can't believe I'm running because in the past when he tried to get me to run I always told him I can't run. I think he's pretty proud of his old mom. :laugh: It's a slow start for me but I'm pretty proud of me too. One of these days I'm gonna run a 5K. :happy:
  • Just give it a shot! There are tons of beginning running programs online that incorporate walking. Just don't get discouraged!! It is NOT going to be fun for the first little while until your body becomes more used to the movements. But it is excellent cardio and I promise it does get easier.
  • NCHICK80
    :wink: thanks everyone for your input :) ..
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    I stared running about a month or so ago. I was walking 3 miles a day prior to that and stared to feel that that wasn't challenging enough.

I started by running a block, walking 4, running another, walking 4, etc.

Then the next time out, i'd run 2 blocks on the first leg, walk 3, then continue as above. Next, run 3, continue as above.

After a few weeks, I no blocks left to walk and was running the whole 3 miles.
  • i could never run, i was sooo scared of running for my entire life (granted im only 21 but still :))
    when i started this i was at 237 lbs and first tried to start running. so i ran for about three minutes (im totally exaggerating btw) and i thought my lungs were going to collapse. since i was scared to start running again i tried other forms of exercise. i improved my cardio abilities with the 30 day shred and then when i finished that i gave running a try again and i was able to run (really really slowly, but still a run, not a walk) for about 15 minutes
    since then i havent stopped working at it (this was about 2 months ago) and now i am running at 9.5 kph for 45 min non stop.

trust me, if i can get there, anyone can.
    tons of luck!
This discussion has been closed.