does not eating after 7:00 pm makes that much of a differenc

Options
i heard from alot of people it could make you lose 1 extra kilogram with your weight loss in a month , does it really ?
what is your own perspective

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    The timing of when you eat has nothing to do with weight loss. There is no scientific proof that eating after 7pm (or any other time) will affect how much weight you lose.

There are a lot of people who eat large amounts of calories right before bed and still lose! As long as you are consuming less calories than your body burns in a day you will lose weight regardless of what time of day you eat those calories.

The only reasons for setting a time to cut off eating is if you either suffer from heartburn or can't sleep properly eating close to bedtime. Or if you have a habit of snacking a lot... people who do this tend to sometimes put in a time when they can't eat after to help with the mindless munching.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster, and also think that 7pm makes no sense since people go to sleep at different times. I do know people who have said trying to eat their carbs in they day time and less carbs for dinner has helped. I haven't tried it though.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The only difference it made for me was that I was miserable. I would wake up at about 4am very, very hungry, with stomach pain.

I know many people swear by this, but because I work all three shifts, I need to be really flexible about when I eat.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This has been clinically proven, time of consumption does not matter. How often does not matter or how large a meal. These are all fallacies often pushed on us by the government (paid off by certain food producers/supp makers). You daily(or even weekly) food intake is what matters the most. Again this is not opinion it's fact, there's a difference. The research is easily found if one wishes to look.
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree it doesn't matter...I always have an evening snack sometimes as late as 10pm and I'm bed by 11pm Ive still had success!
  • kikilareggae
    kikilareggae Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I read in an article that Dr. Oz said not stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed- whatever time that may be. Try to be somewhat active and not totally sedentary before you go to bed- a walk, some light cleaning, etc. I've noticed a difference recently now that I've tried to implement that into my lifestyle!
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I read in an article that Dr. Oz said not stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed- whatever time that may be. Try to be somewhat active and not totally sedentary before you go to bed- a walk, some light cleaning, etc. I've noticed a difference recently now that I've tried to implement that into my lifestyle!

Did you mean he said stop eating 3 hours before bed? If so yes if you have stomach or digestion issues if you eat late. Hell if I eat taco bell late or before bed I'll be up and on the toilet guaranteed lol. So yes if that's the case don't do it. But there are tons of people that fast all day and eat all their calories at nite. Works fine for them. So it just depends on each person's body how they handle food late before bed etc.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I will never know. I eat supper at 7 every night.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have had success eating my carbs EARLY. My trainer told me that if I want to have something unhealthy to try to do it in the morning so that I have all day to burn it off. Makes sense to me.

I also subscribe to the notion of eat like a king for breakfast, prince for lunch, and pauper for dinner. I eat my heaviest meals as early as possible. For dinner I very rarely have carbs. About 50% of the work week I eat my dinner at work so that I have time to digest it a bit before going to the gym at night. I work out super late- sometimes at 10 PM so I never eat after I work out.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It makes a big difference if you're in the habit of vegging out in front of the tv with a fair quantity of snacks that you don't track accurately :P
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This can be useful for people who tend to snack all evening. A hard-and-fast rule like "no food after 7" keeps that from happening, but only because it makes them consume fewer total calories. As long as you're staying within your calorie goal, you can eat whenever you like.
  • TeamXForce
    Options
    Not really but, if you do eat at night you should wait at least 2 hrs. before you go to sleep so that your body has time to digest and not store anything as fat.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that if I want to have something unhealthy to try to do it in the morning so that I have all day to burn it off. Makes sense to me.
    It would also make sense that you could burn that off during the night or the next day.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I believe it makes a difference with your cut off time depending on you full day and when you are going to sleep....get up at 6am and go to bed at 1030-11pm....I work a 11-8 shift...at a sit down job so I think it is important to get my meals in therefore I am already full and the food has digest!!! I am sure it Will help you lose weight...most speople snack more at night! Cut off time holds you accountable!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Time doesn't matter but when I am ready to quit eating for the night (and my kids, lol) I make a big deal about "closing" the kitchen. I get my last glass of water put stuff away etc. and then I declare "THE KITCHEN IS NOW CLOSED FOR THE NIGHT" and that's it. It helps me not to just keeping grabbing 1 more snack, and then 1 more snack, and then 1 more snack.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options

Dr Oz is a quack........
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. I think not eating after x time tend to put a curb on mindless, late night snacking, but if you're eating balanced and staying within your caloric range, it won't matter.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Scientific proof or not, it makes SOME people FEEL better and my wife swears by this.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I'm not a natural snacker throughout the day, I usually feel too busy, but occasionally I'll have a piece of fruit (this is today, eating better and in the past, eating not so well.)

But one habit I did pick up was my excessive night-time eating of the wrong types of food.

Before MFP, during my lifestyle change, I adopted a policy of brushing my teeth straight after dinner, or dessert if I was having a treat.

Now that I'm doing MFP, I have all these snacks to eat by the end of the day. These are not excessive, but I feel I should start spreading them out during the day because there is a certain element of guilt with eating all this wonderfully yummy food. Or perhaps I should just enjoy it. Usually it's a piece of low fat cheese, a piece of fruit, almonds, maybe even some Kavli crispbread with avocado, vegemite, peanut buttter, ricotta etc (but not all at once lol), chocolate is on the menu as well sometimes (lately I've been polishing off 2 mini eggs).
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a mental thing than a physical thing. Some people may be more likely to eat unhealthy foods after dinner and or not pay attention to how much they are eating.

As far was what Dr.Oz said, it does apply to people who have stomach issues. Saying he is a quack doesn't really add anything to the conversation.