Good starting out Exercises ? ?

Options
I'm just starting out . And I literally mean JUST STARTING OUT . I have almost 200lbs to lose ( and that's for MY goal - not the "average" goal for my age and height) , but my starting goal is 90lbs . .
My question is , what are good exercises for someone severly obese to start out with ?
I'm paranoid that i'll start losing weight and have like this flabby skin and I don't want that . . I just literally have no idea where to start . Everything I seem to come across online says to just start with walking , but I've been doing that . So I guess I need to know what's next . Any advice is extremely appreciated ! Thank you !

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    start walking.

a lot of people have lost weight with walking.

If you find that hard on your joints, then swimming.

Once you get fitter, and you will get fitter you will be able to do more.

also consider strength training. As Muscles does burn more fat. the more muscle you have the more fat you burn.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I agree with the strength training suggestion - start small and build up. Stand facing a wall and do press-ups against the wall - it's a really good way to start. Also I get a fair bit of exercise by accident - if I'm walking home from the supermarket with a bag of groceries in each hand, I'll do arm curls while I walk. I might look like a bit of a ****, but actually I'm fine with that!

Also if you want to get a bit of a workout in the comfort (and privacy!) of your own home, try something like air punches. You can stand (squat slightly if you like - gets the thighs burning!) and punch the air in front of you for a couple of minutes at a time. If you keep a decent speed and control the punches rather than just flail around it gets the old heart-rate up nicely.

I also see exercisey TV shows where people lie on the ground and then get up - over and over again.

I've only been following my own advice for three months though, so I'm a total newbie at this! Good luck!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    good on you :)

I agree with walking, wearing comfortable pants. Also one of my 'pals' does 'water callisthenics' and burns amazing amounts.

This might sound silly, but I had 3 operations in my groin in the space of 2 years, and I actually started out with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. The reason I tentatively suggest this is that the exercises in this dvd are beginner level strength training. However, I would very strongly stress using your own sense while doing this as a complete beginner. For example, there were many exercises that I could not do completely after an operation, but a very slight squat, or a very slight lunge, or a couple of very careful jumping jacks really helped to increase my strength. i stopped when i was puffed and did not 'push it out' like she says because that would not have been suitable or appropriate. The amount of jumping, for example, will probably not be appropriate as it can injure your knees.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on if you want to get a gym membership, exercise equipment, a Wii, or nothing and use whatever is at hand. Make it diverse, so that you don't get bored soon. And (as people keep reminding me) rest days are a must, dont over do it ;)

The lists are in order of easiest to more difficult ;)

Basics:
    Walking
    Swimming
    Weight lifting

Programs you might want to check out:
    c25k - 9 weeks to get you from being able to do short jogs to a full 30 minute jog/run.
    Stronglift 5x5 - Weight lifting program that focuses on basic movements
    Jillian Michael's 30 day shred - but as Lolli says, listen to your body with how much you can do

Wii "games" I've liked:
    Wii sports - if you are just starting out then even the tennis, basketball and such can be challenging
    Wii fit - the step exercise is good to start out, as well as yoga and strength moves.
    Wii EA sports active - a bit more challenging that wii fit, and has difficulty levels and programs you can customise.

People have also mentioned Wii Zumba and other dance games as a great way to work out.

edit: btw the c25k you can alter to be a slow walk / sharp walk, or walk / jog, or which ever interval you want to have depending on your fitness. So dont be scared off by the running part ;)
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/10-ways-to-exercise-while-watching-tv-579.html

little exercises to start you on your, way but also walking is great, i started out with it walking a little faster each time or for a longer distance, i have just started couch to 5k, which something you can do when you feel comfortable !

good luck:happy:
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    If you want to add a little bit more to the walking, I like the weight watchers "Get In Shape" video. It has 3 levels: low intensity/moderate/ high intensity. The first time I did it, I did break a sweat and some moves were a little awkward for me but the more you do it the better you get. Its aerobic movement with some weight resistence training. Basically on low intensity you are just stepping side to side, maybe a slight kick here and there, waving your arms..but it gets your heart rate up and keeps it where it needs to be. I enjoy it because at this point of beginning all over again, I don't feel strong enough to move onto something harder. I'll do the low intensity and slowly move up to high. Also, I like turning my stereo up and dancing while I'm doing things around the house. Whatever you find to do.....just do it and slowly increase the amount of times you do it!! Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend! P.S. There are alot of good videos on walking that you do in your home. Its movements like mentioned above but they have it paced to equal 1 mile, 3 mile, 5 mile etc...
  • rufus1973
    rufus1973 Posts: 13
    Options
    am in same situation
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you on wanting to be a healthier person!

Walking is an easy one to start out with. Swimming is also good as well as weight training. Of the 3, if money is tight, walking would be the easiest one to start with.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam!

Or if that is even too much Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds. It's more than just walking, trust me!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Well, MORE walking is always a good one... unless you live way out in the country, consider walking to the grocery store, library etc. don't use elevators/escalators. park further away from the store. use a basket instead of a shopping cart... all ways to increase activity without actually setting out to exercise...
  • leah1024zej
    Options
    Thank you everyone (: I'll def. try some new things out and continue with the walking. For the people concerned with joint strain and what not... I'm obese but it doesn't affect my joints and things, surprisingly.. I have no health issues related to my weight either. My doctor says she's surprised.. I want to get my weight handled before it DOES create issues(: Thanks again everyone!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/744-200-to-lose
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1140-300

I agree with those that recommend Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVDs, recumbent/stationary bike, mini stationary bike (search for this on Amazon.com), swimming, and general walking.

You can do this!
  • leah1024zej
    Options
    Thank you !
  • TrainersRoom
    Options
    Exercise is important in all stages of life, especially in the elderly because it can prevent chronic disease, improve insulin sensitivity, help strengthen muscles, reduce the risk of falls and fractures, and improve bone density bone, among others.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When I started I did a lot of walking at the weekends when I had time, but I also bought a cheap exercise bike, and used that most days, gradually increasing the resistance and the time I spent on it. After a year I had practically killed the poor bike (I really was too heavy for it) but it got me to the point where I now go to a spin class, swim once a week, and have started C25K.

Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Back when I first lost weight, I didn't start exercising until I had lost a decent amount (I think about 50 pounds). That's actually my biggest regret. I wish I had started earlier. I also started with walking. But along with walking, you can do many things with your own body weight:

- Some step-ups onto stairs or an aerobic step
    - Bodyweight Squats (go as deep as you can if you can't hit full depth)
    - Calf-raises on small ledge like a curb or a stair
    - Wall Push-Ups
    - Crunches (on the floor or an exercise ball)

I may be forgetting a few, but these are definitely a good place to start. As you lose the weight and get stronger, you can move onto more difficult forms of these exercises, and add resistance in the form of weights.
  • gosquid
    gosquid Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is lots of advice about this and i don't think anyone is wrong. I'll just say what i did.

First off though, cardio is great for burning calories, but if you want to burn fat, lifting weights is the most important thing to do. Once you build some lean muscle, it speeds up your metabolism and you keep burning fat for hours after you finish your workout. With cardio, you burn the calories during your exercise, but as soon as you stop and your heart slows back down, you stop getting anything out of it.

After i got out of the military i put on lots of weight and didn't do any exercise. After about 3 years, i noticed i was having to stop and catch my breath after climbing the stairs at work. So i got motivated and changed a few things. Diet of course is a huge thing but as far as exercise, i did quite a bit of research.

So i started off with the Body For Life program. pretty much you are doing weights 3 times a week and cardio the 3 days in between with a break day at the end of the week. The trick is starting out slowly and gradually working up. I ended up losing 15lbs the first 2 weeks and kept going until i lost 40. Then i hit a plateu and added extra cardio to the week.

Each time i reached my goal, i would make a new one and keep going. After 2 years, i was happy with where i was. Now, that i feel i have slacked off for the past year, i am trying P90X and i am really enjoying it. Of course, i think i would probably be dying if i was trying to do it without having at least a moderate amount of fitness.
  • leah1024zej
    Options
    Thank you everyone (: !
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Barbell-Stiff-Leg-Deadlifts-1.gif

squats.jpg
    squats.jpg

chest-exercises-barbell-bench-press.gif

shoulder-exercises-push-presses.gif

push-up.gif