Dealing with leg soreness

Options
Just recently did my first "real" leg workout involving squats and deadlifts, and I am SORE! Like, "can hardly walk and if I do I look like a drunk person" sore. It's now three days later and it only feels like it's getting worse! Does it ever get better? How do you other guys who work legs every week handle it?

Replies

• b_h_bloomer
    b_h_bloomer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes, it gets better. Legs tend to be more sore the 2nd day after a workout sometimes.

Try an ice bath after the next leg workout/really long run to help reduce inflammation. As your legs get used to the workouts, there will be less and less soreness afterwards.

After my first half marathon, I was weaving around like a drunken sailor too. By the 8th one, I was hardly even sore at all in the days following the race, even though my finishing time was about 40 minutes faster.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It will lessen over time
    but if you aren't sore you aren't working hard enough, so its good to be sore
  • manasunshine
    Options
    a long soak in a hot bath =)
    works for me!
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    great question! i'm interested to hear what people say because i am experiencing the same type of thing :p
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ice baths are great for repairing muscle damage ideally staying in for at least 10 mins and drinking lots of water during and after the work out to keep your muscles hydrated :smile:
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Like, "can hardly walk and if I do I look like a drunk person" sore.

This made me laugh.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This happened to me two weeks ago when I started doing Stronglifts 5x5. It was the squats on the first day that did me in. It was pretty intense the first week, but this past week I did squats on both Tuesday and Friday and the soreness was manageable. You'll eventually get by with less soreness and it won't last as long!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Work your way towards the goal. Make sure you get rest days! I like hot tubs. If you haven' ever done this, go easy!
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    a long soak in a hot bath =)
    works for me!

That makes the inflammation worse. Ice packs/baths and compression/rest to help heal. Make sure you're stretching adequately as well. Over time the soreness will decrease.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    haaa! This just happened to me! I was MISERABLE for 3 days! Soo much better today, though! It'll get better. :)
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    yeah my legs are sore today too make sure to get a recovery drink post work out with BCAA's they will help with the soreness
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    As unappealing as it sounds, light exercise helps me move past the soreness.
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was quite sore after my first couple of work outs. I was a cross between a cowboy and zombie. Not pretty. Now I'm slightly sore but it's not painful like it was. So it does get better!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    LOL, this was me last Monday, back to work after my first circuit training...I walked like something was stuck up my butt, and with a very slight limp, and I thought climbing stairs was a challenge, until I tried going down them, OMFG, I basically had to hold the rails and gracefully fall/slip down..but that was 2 days after the first work out I'd ever really had, on the 3rd day I was a little stiff, by the 4th I was fine, and have been fine since. Will have to see how my upper body feels tomorrow, was strength training that "new area today!

oh and a hot bath a few of those nights did help me a lot
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    In addition to the ice bath, try out a foam roller. I've recently started using one, and it has made a huge difference in my recovery times.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    As unappealing as it sounds, light exercise helps me move past the soreness.

^^ this. I actually better if I do cardio the day after lower body strength training.
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For sore muscles, I take a magnesium supplement (ask doctor before), but works for me...
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am hurting just from doing the couch to Dk and my legs are in agony and have a constant acje- saying that I am new to exercise.

Needless to say my work colleagues have started calling me 'John Wayne'

Ah well its not forever!!
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    It's the lactic acid build up. I can't stand it! It happens to me all the time. Making sure that I drink lots of water helps me the best. It flushes out the toxins. Also, try stretching or a little bit of light exercise to break up the build up. :)