What do you do......

Options
When you know you are starting to feel sick? Any specific home remedies you use? I feel a sore throat and a fuzzy head. Suggestions welcome

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My grandmother's cure was a shot of whiskey and a wedge of lemon every half hour until you fell asleep ... Wake up the next day with a hangover, but not sick ... LOL
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    chicken soup, warm socks, (hot bath), and all the vitamin c you can get your hands on.
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    Start taking Zinc right away. YOu can get a bottle of tablets cheaply at the drug store. Whenever my kids get sick I start taking it. It boosts your immune system.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    My grandmother's cure was a shot of whiskey and a wedge of lemon every half hour until you fell asleep ... Wake up the next day with a hangover, but not sick ... LOL

lol, I dunno if I wanna trade it for a hangover but I have heard of the whiskey for sleeping
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sleep. It is not terribly exciting or innovative, but getting extra sleep will help your body to fight off the sickness before it gets settled in.
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    Start taking Zinc right away. YOu can get a bottle of tablets cheaply at the drug store. Whenever my kids get sick I start taking it. It boosts your immune system.

i 2nd this. i swear by zinc!
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    When you know you are starting to feel sick? Any specific home remedies you use? I feel a sore throat and a fuzzy head. Suggestions welcome

I always take echinacea when I'm starting to get sick. I found it only works if you take it RIGHT AWAY when you're starting to feel sick (scratchy throat, head pressure etc). I think the directions on my bottle say something like once or twice a day but I normally take it at least 3 times a day when I'm starting to get sick. If I can start it soon enough, I have good results.

And zinc too, like the previous posters said.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    Sleep. It is not terribly exciting or innovative, but getting extra sleep will help your body to fight off the sickness before it gets settled in.

This. saltines, soup. I don't drink pop, but I only will drink sprite, or preferably ginger ale when i'm sick. I think the bubbles help loosen up the mucous and eases my throat a little.
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Green tea with ginseng and honey. AriZona makes one. Good hot or cold. They make a diet version too.