Weighing In: When and how often?

Options
coachblt
coachblt Posts: 1,090
I see all these trackers and people posting how much they lost each day. Is it a good idea to weigh yourself every day? Seems to me by doing that, it might be discouraging during a plateau.

Replies

• nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You should pretty much do it maybe once a week, otherwise you'll just absolutely drive yourself crazy!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Do it as often as works for you. I weigh in every day. Have done for coming up to 500 days now. Helps me stay on track and keep aware of where I am.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I think it's a personal preference. It also depends on where you're weighing in if it's not a home scale. Some people can handle the day to day weighing or do it to see how their weight fluctuates from day to day (which is normal) and some do it but get a little hysterical with minor differences not in their favor. Me personally because I don't weigh at home I find it easier to weigh once a week, same day, same general time frame because it gives me something to work toward and afterward if I did well, something to motivate me until the next "deadline."
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday, so I can keep myself on track and fix it right away if there's any absurd gain.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Some do and others don't...Not a big fan of getting on it daily....It is a emotional device that gives you a high or low...and it normally it sets the pace for your day....I would suggest either weekly/biweekly/ or monthly....I love to run challenges to encourage my pals to focus on healthier and doing the right things it takes to lose weight and the results will follow....
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Some people weigh in daily, some weekly, some once a month and others rarely if ever! It all depends on the person.

For me, weighing in daily works. I record the losses, I look for reasons for the gains. It doesn't drive me nuts to do it. It helps me understand my body better. I've found out about a food allergy that has been hindering me for years. I always know with TOM is about to strike. I always weigh in wearing my pj's, and always first thing in the morning after peeing. Almost always at the same time too. I'm learning the trends so that I can stay on top of my health better!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I do it every day. Sometimes twice a day! LOL Mostly because weighing myself in the mornings keeps me in check for the day. I've tried the once a week approach and have gotten discouraged that way. If I notice I weigh less 1 day out of that week, it convinces me that it's probably water weight. I fully believe that you can be falsely higher in weight (because of water, bloat, etc) but there's no way you can be falsely lower. If I see a lower number than expected at any point during the week, it makes me work harder to see that number again and again!
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Well, it's been 10 days and I still haven't weighed myself. I don't think that's a good plan either. Oh, someday I'll get around to it. I sure do need to know if this tracking food thing is working, right?
  • EndofEternity
    Options
    Once a week or every couple of days for me.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a month. If I do it more often, I get discouraged and angry.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I do it almost daily, but only record it weekly. I like just to see how things are working. But, I don't freak out if there is a gain during the week. I also even weekly record only if I lose weight which happened two weeks in a row. But, a few days after the second Saturday, I recorded my weight loss.
  • scottbad
    scottbad Posts: 33
    Options
    Daily. It's fun - I think I've correlated that a day of lots of salt takes me 3 days to get back to normal.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I do what I did with Weight Watcher's, they will only take your weight once a week so that is what I do. Now with that said I have a ritual. I weigh on the same day wearing the same pj's (although if I would have thought about it sooner I would have done it in the buff) and right when I wake up each week so it is as accurate as possible.

I do weigh on a daily basis the same way but only put in on MFP as described above just once a week. I
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I hop on the scale each morning and then log it only on Sundays (I've been sporadic so far, but that's the plan I've come up with). The reason is, I don't trust the number otherwise. And if there's some weird fluctuation where I suddenly lose 5 lbs from one day to the next, I'll know something's wrong with the scale. LOL
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Saturday is weigh in day...that's the number for the week! Up or down, that is my weight till the next Saturday.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    Maybe once a week or every 2 weeks. Everyday would drive me nuts, especially since I am a woman and us woman tend to retain water alot. Plus during your working out time, your body is constantly out of wack.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Thursdays i weigh in.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once every two to three weeks at the DRs office...always have, even when I was not watching what I ate, just as a baseline, so I knew where I was....