Question about the calorie counter...

Options
I am paying attention to the amount of calories I take in. However, I am 41 grams of sugar above what my daily intake should have been. I snack mostly on fruits and granola bars throughout the day. How many people follow the carbs, sugars, and fat grams as strictly as they follow the amount of calories?

Should I be worried? My weight loss has been slow. Only 13 pounds lost since January 10, 2012.
My goal was to have lose at least 27 pounds by June 1st and I don't know why I just can't lose them.

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am paying attention to the amount of calories I take in. However, I am 41 grams of sugar above what my daily intake should have been. I snack mostly on fruits and granola bars throughout the day. How many people follow the carbs, sugars, and fat grams as strictly as they follow the amount of calories?

Should I be worried? My weight loss has been slow. Only 13 pounds lost since January 10, 2012.
    My goal was to have lose at least 27 pounds by June 1st and I don't know why I just can't lose them.

I usually eat lots of oranges, they would push me way over my daily sugar, but I don't worry about fruit sugar. Actually I don't log sugar at all lol.

Protein tends to be on the low side on MFP, I go over that, but it doesn't worry me as I do running and need that protein. I do watch the carbs and fat though, I stay under those.
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    My sugar is always over. I only worry about calories. It is hard enough to keep track of that let alone all the other things. If I had medical issues I would of course watch other things more closely. I don't though and all my sugars (aside from movie night desert once a week) are naturally occuring.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much if it's natural sugar, just don't go fruit crazy, throw some veggies in there too!

As far as staying within macros, I try to stay under in calories, fat and carbs. I would rather go over on protein and fiber. I do find myself being mindful of my daily requirements and adjust my eating habits throughout the day to hit as close as I can.

They say you should strive for 40% carbs 30% fat and 30% protein.. I find it very difficult to get enough protein but am easing my way into that ratio. Right now I'm working on 45% carbs 30% fat and 25% protein.
  • LennieSmall
    Options
    Some people focus heavily on the macros, but I don't think that it's that important. As long as you eat a generally healthy mix of foods, you can lose weight just fine. I've never been too worried about them, and I've lost about150 pounds in the last year or so.
  • aaronburgess
    aaronburgess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you can, make sure you watch your intake of sugar. It can spike your insulin and slow down fat loss which is the type of loss you want. Your goal ought to be to not only lose pounds but to lose fat. To do this eat foods high in protein and low in fat and take in "slow" carbs (e.g. brown rice, yams, oatmeal) rather than fast carbs (e.g. sugar, fruits). In addition, add strength training 3-4 days a week and some cardio.

My trainer has this rule for women about eating:

5 meals a day. Each meal should have 300 calories, 30g of protein and 30g of carbs.

This will get you on the fast track to being lean.
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help, everyone!
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I find that I go over (usually have 40g a day, give or take) and that's just from fruit, vegetables, and dairy.

I think you should be sugar conscious to an extent, but don't worry too much if your sugar is from natural sources. If you're that worried, maybe ease down on the granola bars if you want.