Where to measure waist?

Options
I really hope somebody can clear this up for me :smile:

The widest part of my mid-section is the love handle area (sides of belly button) which measures in the morning at 32 inches.

The smallest part of my middle is around 28 inches.

The measurement at my hipbones is 34 inches.

WHERE is my waist?! Haha. The bit I want to get smaller is the 32 inches around my navel...is that my waist?

THANKS guys!

x

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I always thought the waist was measured right at the navel...mine is 32 inches too....sigh.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I measure directly around the belly button - blech, wish it were higher
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I always measure it above my belly button and don't suck in. My waist measurement is horrifying.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Women- narrowest part of your tummy
    Men- at the belly button
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Men- at the belly button

Exactly right. No one else needs to respond now, but they will.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Men- at the belly button

yea, i measure at the narrowest part, but i don't think it really matters. just make sure you are measuring the same spot every time!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yes... women are supposed to measure their natural waist which the the smallest point of your midsection. So, original poster... it sounds like 28" is your actual measurement. :-)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Narrowest part of your waist which is usually just a bit above your naval
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes... women are supposed to measure their natural waist which the the smallest point of your midsection. So, original poster... it sounds like 28" is your actual measurement. :-)

I like that answer :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Ladies, it is ABOVE the belly bottom and BELOW your ribs, not on your tummy or hips.

The new pants are all wrong, they have huge waists, but they don't sit at the waist, they sit on the upper region of the hips. In my opinion, they are an insult to the female anatomy. GRRRR!!

http://www.indicustom.com/blog/base/wiki/How_To_Measure_Your_Natural_Waist

1. To measure your natural waist you will need a cloth measuring tape and a mirror. In order to find your natural waist bend forward. The crease that forms (above your belly button but below your ribcage) is your natural waist. Do not measure over clothing, this will give you an inaccurate number

2. Relax your stomach muscles and, with the tape measure at 0, start measuring directly above your belly button and around your waist. Make sure the tape is neither too loose or too tight, you want to get the actual size of your waist.

3. When the tape measure wraps back around write down the number that overlaps 0 - that is your natural waist measurement.
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    Yes, it's the narrowest part of your waist for women.

Another Q: Are you supposed to suck in your breath when you measure? Because I do that, lol! Otherwise, my waist is way bigger.
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    I measure my waist where everyone else is saying to, smallest point. However, I added a measurement to my log titled "Belly Button" so that I can keep track of that pooch, too.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I really hope somebody can clear this up for me :smile:

The widest part of my mid-section is the love handle area (sides of belly button) which measures in the morning at 32 inches.

The smallest part of my middle is around 28 inches.

The measurement at my hipbones is 34 inches.

WHERE is my waist?! Haha. The bit I want to get smaller is the 32 inches around my navel...is that my waist?

THANKS guys!

x

Stand up straight, lean sideways. Where the crease is, that is where your waist is.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist where everyone else is saying to, smallest point. However, I added a measurement to my log titled "Belly Button" so that I can keep track of that pooch, too.

I do that too, I call that bit "belly" hehe
  • msmileyface
    msmileyface Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow. I was always thinking it was around the navel. Oops.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Find your natural waist. An easy way to do this is to stand in front of the mirror and bend at your side. The crease that forms indicates your natural waistline, directly above the belly button and below the ribcage.

:bigsmile:
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys!

At least I know where my waist is now :tongue:

Will measure around navel too, to keep track, as that is the only place I really care about at this stage! :laugh:
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    An inch above your belly button. This is your waist. I also measure around the widest part because this is what I see first (and the more upsetting since I want it to be gone)