calorie intake

Options
I know, I know there are a ton of other posts about this but I'm still a bit confused. Can anyone help me on the amount of calories I should be consuming. I'm 26, 5'6", CW 160, GW 140. Moderate activity level.

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What has MFP set you at? You should be looking to lose 0.5-1lb per week.
  • kwilso34
    kwilso34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1200. I have read that is too low.
  • kwilso34
    Options
    Bump
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    There are many people here who have 1200 set for them. Have you tried 1200 for a few weeks to see what happens?
  • ilvmykidz
    ilvmykidz Posts: 66
    Options
    From what I understand your BMR (I went to a site and used the calculator) is 1539. That is the MINIMUM you should eat each day.

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Those calculations are to MAINTAIN the weight. If you want to loose then subtract about 500 from that result.

Hope this helps!
  • ilvmykidz
    ilvmykidz Posts: 66
    Options
    Well subtract 500-100 calories but NO MORE then 1000. Sorry I forgot to add that : )
  • kwilso34
    Options
    Someone PLEASE help! My BMR is 1509 & moderately active is 2285 calories. Do I need to consume 2285 calories in order to lose weight?
  • kistylou
    kistylou Posts: 5
    Options
    this is also confusing me, i currently have mfp set at 1200 as this is what it recommended when i started, but after reading one of the other posts on this forum i am wondering if i should adjust this?!
    im 26, 5 foot 2.5 i wight 162lbs at last weigh in.
    using te fat2fit site my BMR was calculated at 1534, my sedentry cals 1777 and my TDEE 2132 (if ive calculated it correctly)
    so do i adjust my cals to my BMR or change it to my sedentry calculation and not eat back any excersize calories??

everyone seems to have so many different ways of doing it that it gets so confusing
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Someone PLEASE help! My BMR is 1509 & moderately active is 2285 calories. Do I need to consume 2285 calories in order to lose weight?

Provided the calculations are correct you would consume 2,285 calories a day to MAINTAIN your weight. You are not far from your goal weight so it's best to have a little deficit.

From what I've read you should remove about 20% off of your TDEE which would give you 1.828 calories a day to consume. That is provided you included your daily exercise into the calculation you did. If you did eat the 1,828 per day... if you didn't add in the exercise calories.

To make it more simple you can eat at your BMR and than add in your exercise calories. That is what I have done and I lose ever week but I am quite a bit heavier than you.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If you set MFP to lose 0.5lbs per week what do you get for a calorie intake goal? You are only 20lbs from your goal weight so trying to lose more is far too restrictive.
  • stephie4111
    stephie4111 Posts: 118
    Options
    ok i did my bmr it says 1245 so do i multiply by 1.725 cause Im active 6 days it came up with a number is that the number of calories i need. Im looking to maybe only lose 5-10 pounds if that. Im doing the brazil butt lift program right now. can someone figure this out for me Im 5 foot 3 and 135.8 right now
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options

Do not eat below your BMR.

With the small amount of weight you are needing to lose, set your goals here to "Lose 1/2 pound per week" and "Active". You should be given a goal of around 1800-1900. Eat your calories given to you by exercise, too. You cannot afford a large deficit at your weight.

Do that for a month.

• stephie4111
    Options
    if that was a response to me i changed to 1/2 pound now it says 1560 cal a day and its set at active 6 days a week.
  • stephie4111
    Options
    ok it does say over 1800 with the exercise i will be doing tomorrow. thanks
  • MAMarkulik
    Options
    HI ...
    I have been using "My Fitness Pal" since for a little bit over a month and I am still confused.
    First let me state that I have lost weight using this tool (8 lbs so far).

Here is my question... I am allowed 1,200 calories per day according to My Fitness Pal. What should my calorie intake be if I do high intensity aerobic exercise for an hour and burn approximately 550-625 calories?

Should I stay at 1200 calories consumption and have a net of 600 per calories per day?

Thanks
    Margie
  • naomisimpson247
    Options
    You should Net 1,200.

Some people eat all of their calories back after exercise, but many only eat back half the calories burned, but try to never net less that 1000.
  • MAMarkulik
    Options
    Thank you for your help!

Margie