Evening eating - any advice?

Options
So, I do great during the day and first part of the evening. I leave room for an evening snack, and even take a short walk after dinner, but as soon as I sit down in front of the tv, I start the evening eating, it feels habitual, like a routine and I'm having a hard time breaking it. I'm not hungry...it's either boredom, decompressing from the day or my way of dealing with crap. I'm just getting started, but feel like every evening I blow the whole day and have to start over every day.

Has anyone found any good ways/tricks/tips to not indulge/over eat in the evening?

Thanks

Replies

• ragingtomato
    Options
    I find that brushing my teeth helps, because it makes me feel like I'm done eating for the day and I wouldn't want to eat anything when I've got that minty taste in my mouth. I also get away from the kitchen and go upstairs to my room. Its really hard for me to realize that I don't really even want to eat and/or don't need to when I'm in the kitchen, but as soon as I get upstairs I think, wow I'm glad I didn't eat that because I really don't need or want it. Also just remember that if you eat it, you're going to have to enter it in your MFP food log. That's enough to deter me a lot of the time!
  • jewely82
    jewely82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Since the hand to mouth thing while you are watching tv has become a habit you could start by changing what you are mindlessly putting into your mouth. For example, if you usually eat chips or candy try switching to munching on carrot sticks or grapes. After you have switched what you are eating you could then find something to keep your hands busy while you are watching tv. I used to cross-stitch all the time and would do it while I watched tv. You could find something that you don't have to think about much that occupies your hands.
  • isabelcordeiro
    Options
    Hi,

The way it works for me is to have homemade ready prepared food which basically concentrates of my favorite vegetables which you can eat a lot of. I limit the dressing to my favorite olive oil and vinegar. But I load on my favorite veggies, broiled peppers, brocolli, mushrooms, steamed spinach, salad, I love the stuff. Then I have about 1 oz of meat, and that seems to help me for now. I also exercise two hours before dinner, and that helps me keep focus. Ofcourse, I like Myfitnesspay.com and I don't want to record any additional items which will impact going over my calorie count for the day. Treat yourself with good low calorie veggies, or even high calorie veggies that you like, and enjoy it. It seems you can eat alot of veggies for a long time and still maintain the calories. Good luck, you can do it.
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    try chewing your fignernails........just kidding. find some loc cal snacks and start with those then gradully eat less
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Really, in the beginning, it's all about willpower. You have to learn to deal with the stress of not eating every time you want to. It's an uncomfortable feeling, but it can be overcome. Tell yourself at the beginning of the day that you'll have 1 snack in the evening. Maybe plan out ahead of time what that will be, then when it's gone, you know that's it for the day.

It's empowering to be in control of your calories. You know you have x amount of calories for the day, and if you want more, you have to earn them with exercise.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • iKarma
    iKarma Posts: 6
    Options
    You could probably try what I have been doing as an on and off habit. I chew on crush ice. I don't know why, but I like it. I fill up a cup till it's almost filled up then I just munch on 'em from time to time. It helps me feel full because of the fact that I'm chewing.

It might help. Another thing you could try is maybe replace the food that you are eating with something else. Such as something that isn't going to make you regret eating. Maybe a little cup of chocolate milk, or some tea. Another thing that I have been thinking of doing is buying some celery and just dip it in some ranch dressing and munch on that. I had some at a Denny's restaurant with my boyfriend and loved them ever since. You might like it. :smile:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Engage your brain into something that takes your undivided attention. Read a really good book that you can't pull yourself away from and I bet you won't think about eating :smile:
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Have you tried knitting in front of the T.V.? I'm so bad at it, that I have a hard time putting down the needles because I know I'm going to lose my place. At least it will keep you engaged and your hands otherwise occupied.
  • ann27
    ann27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great suggestions. I'm going to try a few different approaches in the evening - knitting, veggies, a book and brushing my teeth :smile:

Thanks again