Hungry for Change and chia seeds

Options
Watched Hungry For Change last night with the man, highly recommend it for all of you. Really addresses how we as a society eat and what we're doing to our bodies. Have any of you seen it already? If so, what did you think of it? I thought it was really eye opening, especially when it compared some of the foods we eat to cocaine!

That said, it recommended adding chia seeds (among other things) to our diets. Do any of you use them? If so, how?

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I put chia seeds into smoothies mostly. Watching HFC reminded me to get back to it.
  • sister83
    sister83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i add it to my oatmeal + milk, oatmeal pancakes or protein shakes, or smoothies. pretty much anything.
    and yes hungryforchange was good. makes me more aware of what i put into my mouth now.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting with chia seed salad dressings. Using the seeds as the thickener instead of...well..anything else. So far so good. Chia seeds don't seem to have their own flavor so they definitely need help.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    ...chia seeds...yeah I put that *kitten* on everything !!! LOL
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    the whole jelly looking thing freakd me out a bit haha
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Haha, me too to be honest, but I figure I'll try almost anything once? Going to pick some up today!
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    They don't get like jelly until they've soaked so eat them quickly and you won't get that nasty texture!
  • The gel thing is pretty creepy. I hope to grab some on Monday anyway lol.

I've heard great things about those seeds.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I did, they are so yummy, but I think they upset an intestinal issue I have, so I had to stop :(
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    i love chia seeds in my oatmeal!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I really liked the movie, except for the emphasis on Juicing as I think smoothies are the better way to go. Flax seeds also will do the gel thing as well, and can be used as an egg substitute (binder) for vegan cooking.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds every single day! I don't care for them all gelled up, though. I put them in my yogurt or a smoothie or just top my cereal or oatmeal with them. I also have a protein pancake that I make for breakfast and I stir some in the batter before I cook it. I love chia, it helps keep me regular. :)
  • VeronicaanddMatt0605
    VeronicaanddMatt0605 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the documentary but I like chia seeds. I use equal parts ground flax seeds and chia some coconut oil tahini and a little bit of raw honey. It's delicious and filling a good snack or treat.
  • icandothis318
    icandothis318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I put one tablespoon in my smoothies, every day, twice a day. You can't taste them at all. I even put them in my daughters smoothie and she doesn't taste them at all.
  • runninggirl54
    Options
    i buy the ground chia seeds. i put them on salads, oatmeal, in sauces, in tuna or chicken salad. they really don't have much taste but the health benefits are awesome.
  • CeciliaLoma
    Options
    I loved "Hungry for Change" so much I bought the dvd so that I can share it around to everyone who will listen to me. I also have "Food Matters" which is currently out on loan. I haven't tried chia yet - I do use organic psyllium husks (Organic India's Fiber Harmony) which has been an absolute miracle for my digestive system. Will definitely try the chia now, though.
  • JasonsWeightliftingWife
    Options
    I am a BiG Fan of this movie. I want everyone of my family, friends and everyone I meet to watch that movie. I LOVE the information. It is a Fantastic movie. I love how they compared sugar to drugs, because IT IS!

I am big fan of Mike Adams, David Wolfe and Daniel Vitalis. Of course the other people were great too.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I would love to see the movie. Any thoughts on how to view it?

thanks!
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I managed to catch the free viewing online, so I'm not sure how to see it, but I assume it'll eventually be on Netflix like its counterpart FoodMatters! Hope you can find it!

I can't wait to get some seeds and try some of these tips! I looked for them at Kroger yesterday to no avail, so off to whole foods tonight!