Low-Cal Snack Ideas

Options
juliee274
juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
I am just starting on MFP and I need help with some ideas for low-calorie, NUTRITIOUS snacks that I can easily transport/keep at work. Like many people, I often have the late afternoon (4-6 pm) hunger pains. I know there are all kinds of 100 calorie "snack packs" but those foods seem so processed and I would like to have some nutritional benefit, even help curb my dinner time eating.

I am not a picky eater and have no known food allergies. We also do have access to a fridge at work. I know fruits (apples, bananas) are good choices as well as some granola/snack bars and small yogurts. Any other ideas would be greatly welcome.

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Veggies, string cheese, unsalted nuts, greek yogurt, protein shakes.

Processed foods are not good for you period. If you do not make it yourself you cannot control the ingredients including sodium and preservatives that you do not need.
  • juliee274
    Options
    I have always read you should eat protein to sustain....what about hummus with the veggies?
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Is this something you would be eating at work, on the drive home or at home? If you need protein, whole wheat bread with peanut butter is good, cheese, yogurt. I love berries, other things are of course fruits, apples, grapes, oranges, watermelon. Raw vegies with dip (watch your dip for fat and sugar), cheese and crackers, oatmeal is very filling with a few berries or cinamon on top, along with a glass of water. Hard boiled eggs are also good choices. I would go for variety, switch around what you are eating and keep it to 100-200 calories unless you exercise a lot or have a higher calorie range.
  • juliee274
    Options
    Could be at work or as soon as I arrive home...I only live 15 minutes from my work. I would just like for the snack options to be quick and easy with little prep or fuss. And, yes, I would like to keep in the 100-150 calorie range. Boiled eggs are a great idea! Thanks!
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Costco Edamame, microwave for 3 minutes, add a little salt....
    12g protein, 4 g fibre, and 158 calories
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese! (low sodium)
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    protein shake
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, Animal Crackers, and Almonds are some that come to mind.
  • annetttefoster66
    Options
    chicken,celery sticks,raw sweet peas,cherry tomatoes,almonds are good energy snacks for those afternoon cravings
  • Bmckae
    Bmckae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mini bell peppers are tasty and pretty low. I also like those mini low calorie jello cups.
  • marachappel
    marachappel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit like grapes, strawberries, or a small banana and string cheese. Almonds and walnuts are another good option but they are about 200 cal for 1/4 of a cup. That doesn't sound like much but with the good fat and protien even that small of a serving I find it is very satisfying. Low fat cottage cheese and fruit another healthy and easy snack.
  • jetairliner
    Options
    I've really become a fan of OS Trim products. They are low in calories/carbs/fat, but high in protein ... and very tasty.
    http://protos-inc.com/
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I really like peanut butter with half a banana :) it's super tasty, and if you cut the banana in half lengthwise, then in half again through the center top, you can spread the peanut butter in it and make it a sandwich! I also love oranges (peel them and put the separated segments in a baggie) as well as boiled eggs, small bits of rich cheeses (little bits...only up to half a serving) and I especially love green beans with lime juice :D those make for a tasty breakfast too.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Im a salt aholic so I tend to go for lightly salted nuts with a stick of weight watchers string cheese, soooo good and filling!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love red peppers and carrots with hummus. I use plain fat free greek yogurt & hidden valley dip mix for veggies too.

Sometimes I take deli meat slices and wrap them around either a spear of cucumber or a slice of pepper. Add a little laughing cow cheese spread or 1/3 of a slice of low fat cheese. Hubby loves Kraft pepper jack cheese slices. These can be rolled up and put into a small storage container. We use these on long road trips too.
  • Gagirl79
    Gagirl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the ranch rice cakes from Aldi you can have 10 for only 70 calories, I also like grapes with cottage cheese:happy:
  • tubbs_nomore
    Options
    Hello...Just found these myself...at any healthfood store and at Bulk Barn you can pick up a product called Suzie's Kamut puffed cakes. I bought the Agave sweetened ones. They are like rice cakes, but made with Kamut grain. They are delicious, require no refrigeration and the whole package will fit in your desk drawer, so they'll last all week. They were $3.49 Dietary info is as follows:
    Per cake: 31 calories
    0 fat
    0 cholesterol
    0 sodium !!!
    6gr carbs
    1 gr protein Fabulous!
  • juliee274
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions! I really appreciate it!
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Edamame; yogurt with granola; make your own trail mix with your favorite nuts, craisins/raisins, even cereal (I like to put Oh's cereal in mine).

Blessings.
  • rukshanthi
    Options
    From a recent post I wrote:

Snacks Tried and Yummy:

8 whole wheat 'light' crackers with 2 Kraft fat-free singles

1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt (Greek is yummy), strawberries (yes, this is fruit), and 2 tbsp granola

1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt sweetened with 1/2 tbsp Billy Bee's honey

1/2 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt (yes, I love yogurt)

3 cups air-popped plain popcorn (so cool to make under a clear lid!)

1/4 - 1/3 cup trail mix - cashews, almonds, pistachios, sunflower/pumpkin seeds, and peanuts, unsalted

2 tsp nestle chocolate syrup in 1 cup 2% milk

Snacks I am going to try:

cashew butter

homemade frozen yogurt

*I measure everything I eat as a reminder of proper portions =P