Pilates? To do or not to do?

Options
Right now I'm working on the 30 DS, and I was thinking about doing a pilates dvd for the following month. I was hoping that it would help even and lengthen me out after all this toning I'm getting with the 30 DS. Any suggestions? Just trying to get a beach body!

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would do pilates alone for a whole month, but a mixture of pilates with a cardio/strength training program like a Jillian Michaels DVD seems like a great idea (maybe an "every-other-day" pattern).
  • senprob1424
    senprob1424 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would do pilates alone for a whole month, but a mixture of pilates with a cardio/strength training program like a Jillian Michaels DVD seems like a great idea (maybe an "every-other-day" pattern).

hmmm thanks. sounds like it could work really well!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do pilates alone, especially if it is the same routine, for a month. Alternate with other stuff.
  • bjsquires
    bjsquires Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up the 30day shred in about a week and have recently purchased her Banish Fat-Boost Metabolism DVD. I plan on doing this DVD and a Pilates DVD on alternate days. I've never done Pilates so I am looking forward to trying and seeing how I like it.
  • tjones0927
    tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do pilates just because it feels good. If I am feeling stiff or sore it always makes me feel better, but no I would still add a cardio regimen for sure.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I would add pilates to your routine, but do some other stuff too. I swap pilates in for weight training sometimes when I'm getting bored with my routine. I recommend POP Pilates on youtube. I hate workout videos, but her's are great.
  • senprob1424
    Options
    thanks everyone! I think I'm going to add cardio...just a few miles on the treadmill or elliptical and then pilates. I just want to maintain some muscle tone...just don't wanna look super built, ya know?
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I do Lara Hudson's 10 minute solution for pilates. It is broken into 5-10 minute segments. I do the abs segment and the buns and thighs segment on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays I go to a track to walk and run. I have been doing this for about 6 weeks, and my stomach and my butt look so much better! This is after two kids too! I highly recommend pilates. I also notice I have better posture and better coordination.
  • senprob1424
    Options
    I do Lara Hudson's 10 minute solution for pilates. It is broken into 5-10 minute segments. I do the abs segment and the buns and thighs segment on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays I go to a track to walk and run. I have been doing this for about 6 weeks, and my stomach and my butt look so much better! This is after two kids too! I highly recommend pilates. I also notice I have better posture and better coordination.

yesss!! this gives me hope! haha
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Pilates is great. I saw results in my abs and thighs within the first two weeks, no joke. I have been hooked for 15 months, and do it every single morning. It's a great way to start my day. I have about ten dvds that I alternate so I don't get bored. Look for Ana Caban and Mari Winsor.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing pilates/ pilates fusion 2-3 days per week, intervals 2 days a week and circuit 1 day per week. I love my workouts. I've been consistent for with a rotation for the past month and I feel worked out and amazing without the injuries that I used to get all the time. Focusing on smaller muscles, balance and core really seems to make more traditional workouts safer and more profitable for me. I also like the results in my abs/legs which are my big problem areas.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    pilates was AMAZING for my abs, and I need to start doing it again. but I definitely agree with others that you shoudl do other stuff with it.