Filling dairy free smoothie?

Options
I'm trying to figure out the right combination for a morning smoothie..... juice, frozen fruit, some protein powder.....?

I'm curious if 1) that's way too much sugar to be starting the day with, and 2) does anyone have recommendations for how much of each ingredient to use?

Trying to avoid dairy right now, so thinking a banana may help beef up the consistency....

Thoughts?

Replies

• CristinaMunoz
    Options
    Try to use a vanilla soy milk for consistency, it has a ton of protein and no dairy. Then berries, banana and ice....... delicious!!! you can always add more protein powder too if you like.
  • tiarodwell
    tiarodwell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk and a banana. The banana really does the trick.
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I make mine with juice, a banana, frozen strawberries and either a scoop of yogurt or protein powder. I also crush ice in it as it helps to keep it thick and makes it nice and cold :happy:

I was just wondering the same thing about the sugar. It put me just over my sugar for the day (not that I will have very much more during the day) but I am wondering if it will cause me to gain weight in the end. It is so frusterating, because I know that everything in it is so good for me... just maybe not all at once? :ohwell:
  • AlyssaLoflin
    AlyssaLoflin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you want less sugar use green tea instead of juice, I do that some frozen fruit, and maybe a banana, its good and seriously cuts the extra calories :)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Here is my smoothie recipe (vegan friendly) -

1 cup ice
    1 cup almond milk
    1 serving protein powder
    1 banana
    3 black mission figs (better than any sugar or substitute, so sweet)

I'm not a vegan, but thats what I used to use. If you use dairy, just swap out the almond milk with some skim+ or 2% milk, and use whey protein since its a bit more readily absorbed by the body than soy based protein.

You can add berries if you want, or some peanut butter.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Here's mine: silken tofu, frozen fruit, a little juice, wheatgerm, soy protein powder and a banana. It's very jummy. You don't taste the tofu, but it's very good for you, and gives the right kind of smooth consistancy to the shake.
  • lrogers4
    Options
    Try making green smoothies... they are so healthy and don't include anything processed! There are a ton of different combinations you can use, but a basic one would be to blend 1 banana (or 2, depending on your calorie needs), an apple (or pear, etc), a big handful (or 2) of romaine, spinach, kale (any leafy greens), and blend with a little water and ice until it's the consistency you like. Adding the greens might sound weird, but the sweetness of the fruit overpowers the bitter taste in lettuce and it tastes really good. You can even add in fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley if you like the tastes. It's a really good way to get some greens in your diet without eating so much salad.

Another thing... when you drink a smoothie, try to almost "chew it", and take your time on it. The chewing will release more enzymes in your saliva and really aids in digestion!

If you google green smoothies a bunch of recipes will come up... try them... seriously.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Try making green smoothies... they are so healthy and don't include anything processed! There are a ton of different combinations you can use, but a basic one would be to blend 1 banana (or 2, depending on your calorie needs), an apple (or pear, etc), a big handful (or 2) of romaine, spinach, kale (any leafy greens), and blend with a little water and ice until it's the consistency you like. Adding the greens might sound weird, but the sweetness of the fruit overpowers the bitter taste in lettuce and it tastes really good. You can even add in fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley if you like the tastes. It's a really good way to get some greens in your diet without eating so much salad.

Another thing... when you drink a smoothie, try to almost "chew it", and take your time on it. The chewing will release more enzymes in your saliva and really aids in digestion!

If you google green smoothies a bunch of recipes will come up... try them... seriously.

Now that's something I never thought of...... If I get brave enough, I'll give it a try...... You've almost convinced me by explaining the sweetness of the fruit overpowers the bitterness of the lettuce. But, sounds a little more like lunch. :) Thanks for the suggestion! I'll let you know if I get the cahones to try it.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options

Now that's something I never thought of...... If I get brave enough, I'll give it a try...... You've almost convinced me by explaining the sweetness of the fruit overpowers the bitterness of the lettuce. But, sounds a little more like lunch. :) Thanks for the suggestion! I'll let you know if I get the cahones to try it.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    If you want less sugar use green tea instead of juice, I do that some frozen fruit, and maybe a banana, its good and seriously cuts the extra calories :)

Thanks for the suggestion - again, I would have NEVER thought of that. Hmmmm. I'll have to give it a try.