indian food

Options
ok so i have never tried indian food. i have very specific food allergies so if i am going to try it i need to find something with no wheat or rice. so anything thats like meat and vegetable based. and i cant have soy sauce either (because most contain wheat) any suggestions??

Replies

• gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Do n't do it.....its only one more food group that you will need to not eat LOL!!!!!!:laugh:
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I love indian food and had it last night.
    Simply skip the basmati rice and the Naan.
    Butter chicken, tandori chicken all awesome. Load up on the coconut milk and heavy cream dishes.
    Typically the meat is so tender you don't need teeth.
    Most dishes should qualify as primal.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I love Chicken Tikka, boneless chicken cooked in the tandoor oven. Rice is a staple in India obviously, but you don't have to eat it. I don't think that vegetable curries have flour in them. Pick some curry with vegetables you like and ask, ask, ask.

Chatpata-Chicken-Tikka-Recipe-Picture-300x225.jpg
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love indian food and had it last night.
    Simply skip the basmati rice and the Naan.
    Butter chicken, tandori chicken all awesome. Load up on the coconut milk and heavy cream dishes.
    Typically the meat is so tender you don't need teeth.
    Most dishes should qualify as primal.

Yup. Chicken Tikka Masala, pretty much any kind of tandoori or curry dish and maybe papadum rather than naan or rice, depending on what they make their papadum from.

From Wikipedia
    As papadums are an important part of South Asian cuisine, recipes vary from region to region and family to family. They are typically made from flour or paste derived from either lentil, chickpea, black gram (urid flour), rice, or potato.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Speak to the restaurant staff and see what caters to your diet

Many of the dishes are spicy and use heavy cream and stuff

Just a tip...Saag (spinach curry) does have wheat in it...so ask the waiter or waitress to be sure
  • lucyliar
    lucyliar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    indian food is yum yum
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Speak to the restaurant staff and see what caters to your diet

Many of the dishes are spicy and use heavy cream and stuff

Just a tip...Saag (spinach curry) does have wheat in it...so ask the waiter or waitress to be sure

Wheat in Saag?

Spinach, yeah. Paneer, yeah. Yogurt, yeah. Spices, yeah.

But wheat?
  • jayaas
    jayaas Posts: 4
    Options
    Indian cooking has some options for you. we make flat breads with gram flour(it is kind of black chickpea). It is high protein and high fiber.
    Or, You can make pancakes with this flour or with lentil flour. You can get the flour from indian stores.
    MAke a batter with the lentil flour/gram flour, add spring onion, cilantro, salt, pepper to taste and make pancakes. I add plain yogurt,cauliflower, tomato, cucumber to the mix and give it a go in my food processor. Leave the batter gritty. USe a non stick pan.

Great healthy snack!
  • jayaas
    jayaas Posts: 4
    Options
    Wheat flour is added to make the saag smoother & thicker in consistency.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I crave Butter chicken!!! and Naan
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Wheat flour is added to make the saag smoother & thicker in consistency.

Exactly
  • CMXL
    CMXL Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Usually it is cornstarch for smoothness/thickness/consistency and I have never heard of wheat flour being used in curries.
  • yarn_nerd
    yarn_nerd Posts: 26
    Options
    palak paneer, chana masala (minus the rice), almost any curry dish especially that involves chickpeas.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I adore pav bhaji (chopped veggies in curry paste). Potatoes are used to thicken the sauce. I'm lucky to be down the road from a tiny Indian restaurant. It's owned by a couple and the wife makes everything from scratch. I come in every week so she's happy to tell me if one of the dishes has a certain ingredient. If I'm not eating rice that day she's happy to make a substitution for me. She also occasionally gives me little bits of things to try.
    The same thing goes at the Vietnamese place. I said I couldn't eat the noodles and they made me a bowl of pho tai with a whole bunch of vegetables and tofu instead of noodles. If you go somewhere regularly, they're generally pretty happy to work with you. It's best when you find a family-owned place. They know what goes into the food more than some place that's just reheating little packages from the corporate office.
  • vbhoj74
    vbhoj74 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Some good food are already mentioned here. Saag not always spinach, it can be anything cooked with vegetables that we call saag. Try fish patuli, its marinated fish wrapped in banana leafy and steamed.