What are the best shoes...in your own opinion

Options
I am crazy about shoes. I feel that finding the perfect shoe is like finding the perfect woman. The right shoe has the right feel, fit, and look. I am trying to get into running and so far haven't been able to find that perfect shoe. So far in my closet I have Puma Pumagility (they are light and fit OK but make my feet hurt after about 15 min.), Nike Air Max (same as Puma), & UA Micro G Stealth (great fit, great comfort, & can run an hour in them without pain). Out of those, as you can see, the Micro G's are my fav for runningbut I am trying to get another pair that I can run in without pain so I don't wear the one pair out. I just ordered Mizuno Wave Creation 12 and hoping they will be the one. What is your favorite shoes & what shoes would you recommend?

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am a neutral runner, with a mid foot strike. I LOVE my Saucony Progrid Triumph 7's. I hear the 8's are just as good. I swear, it's like a love affair with my running shoes.
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    I had the hardest time finding shoes that fit me, I have wide feet, good for swimming, not so much for running. So I went up and down the city looking for shoes and got exasperated at not finding the right fit. The last shoe that fit me left me with red blisters all over my right toe. One of my colleagues recommended I go to Fleet Feet, I was in and out in under 15 mins with the right shoe fit. Turns out I just needed a men's shoes in a small size to fit my feet perfectly. They measured me carefully and gave me some recommendations and choices and I chose the first pair they chose actually because they read me like a book. I like their staff, they know what they're doing. Maybe your problem isn't the right shoe but finding the right store to provide it for you?
  • MorganStar123
    Options
    I have a neutral foot, quite narrow. By far my favourite shoes are Asics Gel Nimbus, amazing! They are so comfortable.
  • midnightryder
    Options
    Ok, so how do I find out about this neutral foot mid foot strike thing? How do I know what foot & foot strike I have?
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have semi flat feet. I love Brooks Trance. I went through like 6 pair until I got fitted at a running shoe... Save money, go get fitted :)
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    your best bet is to go to a running store and have them fit you (wear clothes you can run in, they will put you on a treadmill usually). It is really important when running to have the right shoe. Everyone rolls their feet differently. Its called pronation. Some under pronate , over pronate, etc. Shoes are made specifically for different types. Dont worry, going to a running store doesnt mean expensive, they will show you a selection to match and you can choose style/color etc.

fg07645509690503.jpg
  • midnightryder
    Options
    Ok, now does anyone know any good running shoe stores in Georgia or national chain that can do this?
  • kyt1206
    Options
    I'm near Atlanta metro, there's 2 Fleet Feet stores within city's reach... not sure about other cities
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Asic Gel Nimbus are my favourite.
  • cruisinquietly
    Options
    I over pronate and i just bought my second pair of Asics. The GT 2170, changes my workout completely!
  • midnightryder
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips. I never knew about running shoe stores or about fit testing but have found several stores here in the Middle Georgia area I plan to check out tomorrow. One other question though... if I go to one of these stores how much should I expect to pay for a shoe that they have determined will fit my style of running?
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    you will have choices between $70 and $130ish. I use new balance and they are generally around $79
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the Adidas Adizero line and Newton running shoes...they are awesome! Although they do take an adjustment period.
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Up here in Minnesota, a good pair of running shoes as a running store will set you back $100 - $130.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Sketchers. They always fit right. The shoe that I am in love with that I got a couple of weeks ago is called "Stride" in black and pink. My feet have a high arch and it can sometimes be wide but with Sketchers I never need a wide fit. I also often have problems with getting blisters on my pinky toes but these feel awesome during my workouts doing c25k, cycling, walking, etc.

http://www.skechers.com/style/11635/stride/bkhp
  • kyt1206
    Options
    My pair .. I actually didn't ask what the price as for my pair, I just went ahead and said I'll buy it (after the gas money I spent looking for shoes all over creation, it was going to be a deal if I can just stop searching). I also bought a pair of their specialty socks, the entire total came to be about $100, the shoes were $90, socks were $10. The socks were worth it, for me. They're not looking to get your money, they want to fit you and make you happy so you keep going back, and I plan to go back for my next pair too.
  • dwtimeoutt
    dwtimeoutt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My husband is a marathoner and runs in Aasics only. I don't know which ones they are, but they seem to work best for him. He also has a history of knee problems and since switching to Aasics hasn't had a problem. Good luck
  • dwtimeoutt
    dwtimeoutt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You don't pay sales tax in MN either. I just bought myself some avia running shoes today even though I can't do impact exercise. I bought them for walking.
  • midnightryder
    Options
    Ok, I just went to runnersworld.com and tried a few fit tests it says you can do at home and find that I have a low arch, am probably an underpronator with a forefoot to midfoot strike. They recommended the shoes I just ordered (the Mizuno Wave Creation's) so hopefully these will work. They should be at my door by Wednesday so I will wait til next week to goto the running shoe store. However, as I have a serious addiction to shoes I probably will just go check them out tomorrow still. Thanks for everyone's input.