Cycling any tips??

Options
I have been running 4 times a week for 5 weeks, which is working and help shift pounds but I have started to get shin splints which I have tried resting but it keeps coming back:grumble:
I drive 6 miles to work each day but am considering cycling. about a quarter of the route I would take is up hill. My main issues are living in the UK with the amount of rain we have:angry::grumble: and cold in winter. I will have to organise some sort of shower system to freshen up when I get there, which I think shouldnt be a problem.
My other problem is my job involves wearing a suit so I will have to change at wirk and find some way of transporting things like shirts so they dont get creased.
Does any one else have solutions they use to overcome issues such as these?
I assume I will be able to buy some type of light weight water proof suit to help with the weather.
Any tips from seasoned cyclists would be gratefully received:bigsmile:

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    The clothes issues, I'm wondering if you drive your suits to work at the beginning of the week and then pick them up at the end? For the least amount of wrinkle on packing shirts, ROLL them up tightly. Biking can be so much fun. Not sure about the rainy season though. Hope it goes well for you.
  • LydiaJay
    LydiaJay Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I live in Holland which has no hills (so I am jealous!) but probably has the same amount / or even more rain! :grumble:

I suggest wet weather gear to be worn over the lycra / preferred cycling clothing, and keep your suit at work to change into after a shower. My husband cycles to work, and usually I iron a few shirts and trousers for him on Sunday night, and then he leaves them in his locker at work on the Monday so he can cycle for the rest of the week.

I hope that small amount of tips helps!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Here is an article meant for new mom's that don't have time for workout and shower. However, it is good at explaining how to get around not having a shower available after cycling or other workouts at work.

http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=683&page=1
  • Nubiaska
    Options
    Cycling is a great solution to your problem. I have a 10 mi (one way) commute and cycle most days. There's lots of resources out there for cycling rain and cold weather gear. Since I'm in the states I'm not as familiar with options in the UK. My favorite online resources for quality reasonably priced cycling and ourdoor gear are SierraTradingPost.com and PricePoint.com. Check them out.
    Also, the suggestion of taking clothes to work (I prefer Sunday) ahead of time works for me. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    In the UK you could try http://www.wiggle.co.uk or http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ for any gear you might need.

Erika
  • ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone lots of good ideas and websites to check out:drinker:
    Although I have a real big hill to tackle on the way to work, when I'm tired at the end of the day I can cruise downhill on the way back:happy: :bigsmile:
    For the wet weather I did think about a poncho/cape type outfit that I have seen advertised in a catologue especially for cyclists. I was thinking it would allow a good flow of air to help reduce sweating:glasses: