Runners who hate running?

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
Alright, I'm almost one year into my career as a runner. I have lost about 125 pounds and gone from being unable to run half a mile to running 6 miles. I have used a treadmill most of the time, watching a TV. But I've also sprinkled in outdoor runs, and even a competitive run (Warrior Dash). I have done intervals, slow running, fast running. No matter what I do, I always HATE running.

Anyone else just never get over hating it?

I also ride my bike pretty regularly, and that I enjoy. But when the weather is bad, or it's too late to ride, I need to do something inside. I have a stationary bike, and i hate that too.

Basically I hate exercise. I find that watching riveting TV or movies helps me stop noticing for a while. I have continued to persevere through hating it, and becoming a decent runner, but I am hopeful that one of these days I'll start to "love it" like so many other folks do.

Thoughts?

Replies

• curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion: If you've gotten over the initial stages of running where your body is getting conditioned to the movement, and you still hate it, then you should find something else to do! There are so many kinds of exercise out there, there isn't any reason to continue with something that you really hate.

I hate any type of jogging or slow running. I only like to sprint. For me, jogging makes me feel heavy and plodding. So if I'm on a treadmill, I like to alternate between walking and sprinting. I'll make a playlist for my ipod alternating slow and super fast songs and go with that. But I'm not a big solo exerciser, the ticket for me is group fitness. If I'm working out in a group it makes it way more fun and helps to push me to keep going.

Keep looking until you find an exercise that you love!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    it took me three years to finally 'think' i might like it. lol. i have never once gotten a 'runner's high' from running, but i felt very, very proud of myself after i completed a half marathon. i still can't say that i love it, but i am starting to look forward to the time alone in my head (i don't listen to songs or watch tv, it's just me and my thoughts).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    That'd be me. I do it since I know that if I run away from my home, I have to get back. If I had to do it on a treadmill, I may not do it at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing more competitive running. Whenever I get in a rut and running becomes a "chore," I register for a 5 or 10K. My competitive nature to better my PRs makes me want to hit the pavement every day!

It's the best of both worlds....most 5 and 10Ks are for charitable causes, and it also gives you a goal to shoot for in your exercise routine!
  • HorrorGeek
    HorrorGeek Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I actually love running, but I am a firm believer that if you hate it, ditch it. Life is far too short to constantly do something you hate that much, especially when there are so many alternatives.

If you need something indoors for at home purposes, have you looked into maybe a Wii or Kinect? DVD's? There are lots of Fitness DVD"s that can be streamed using Netflix, or other On Demand options through your cable where you can even try a bunch to see if you like them, or just keep doing new ones if you're the type to get bored doing the same DVD over and over. And the dancing and fitness games for the gaming consoles are great, if you like that type of thing.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first met you on MFP, you hated running then, too! Sorry it hasn't started to be more enjoyable. Have you ever had the opportunity to run with a social group? Not in competition, but just for fun/practice? That is one thing that I started doing a year ago that has really helped me...