3,500 calorie deficit = 1lb lost? Not for me

Options
Hello all,

I wanted to lose 4kg/9lb. On the assumption that to lose 1lb a 3,500 calorie deficit is required, I calculated that I needed a 31,500 calorie deficit (3,500 x 9) to achieve my weight loss goal.

I have now lost 4kg/9lb (hooray!), but I achieved that with only a 15,800 deficit. That is only 50% of what I thought was needed.

What is going on? Have I misunderstood the 3,500 calories = 1lb rule? Does this mean I have lost lots of muscle and water as well as fat?

Has anyone else found the same thing happened to them?

Thanks.

Replies

• douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Water weight most probably, some of it could be down to underestimating calories burnt and overestimating calories eaten.

Most people lose very quickly to start with, I lost 13lb in the first week and 11lb in the second, but now it has settled down.

Well done on your weight loss.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hope1971
    Hope1971 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Water weight most probably, some of it could be down to underestimating calories burnt and overestimating calories eaten.

Most people lose very quickly to start with, I lost 13lb in the first week and 11lb in the second, but now it has settled down.

Well done on your weight loss.

I agree with this...It was likely water weight that you lost! That is usually the first thing to go:) Congrats on your loss! :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The most likely explanation is you also lost water weight (sorry!). The 3500 = 1lb of fat and not all the weight people lose is fat.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well, you can always recalculate your body fat % to check what you really lost. There is probably water weight loss somewhere in there, but losing 100% fat is near impossible too.

Keep checking your other metrics, not only the scale and you'll see if you are on track more easily :)
  • anorrybot
    anorrybot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you may be more active than you think. Plus you may be overestimating your calories eaten. Either way, good job and I wouldn't focus too much on it.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Try this straight after you have been to the toilet for the first time for the day: weigh yourself. immediately drink 2 cups of water. weigh again. There is one pound gained. You did not consume any calories.

Alternate plan: weigh before and after the toilet.

Point is, yeah - it is not all fat. Your body is a machine. Many parts of it process food and waste. Fat and muscle, skin, etc., can be gained and lost. Teens and younger invariably gain weight as they grow up.

Metabolism is variable from person to person also.

Congrats on shedding 4kg.
  • thoreau22
    Options
    Thanks for your answers and your encouragement.

So is that water gone for good? If I went onto calorie maintenance, would I put at least some of that water weight back on?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I wanted to lose 4kg/9lb. On the assumption that to lose 1lb a 3,500 calorie deficit is required, I calculated that I needed a 31,500 calorie deficit (3,500 x 9) to achieve my weight loss goal.

I have now lost 4kg/9lb (hooray!), but I achieved that with only a 15,800 deficit. That is only 50% of what I thought was needed.

What is going on? Have I misunderstood the 3,500 calories = 1lb rule? Does this mean I have lost lots of muscle and water as well as fat?

Has anyone else found the same thing happened to them?

Thanks.

Were you using mfp to calculate your deficit? I did too, to begin with, and lost at twice the speed predicted. Via mfp's calculations, my calories to maintain should be around 1700 (I'm a teacher, so put moderately active), but from maintaining I know they are really around 2400!

I lost muscle, no question. My arms looked dreadfully skinny and my underarms were so concave I could hardly shave! Not logging for a bit and doing 30DS sorted that out.

Expect now that mfp's maintenance calories won't be enough for you. Start with them, by all means, but if you have to increase, don't think, as I did, that there's something wrong with you, instead, remember that mfp's equations don't fit everyone.

Friend me if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers and your encouragement.

So is that water gone for good? If I went onto calorie maintenance, would I put at least some of that water weight back on?

You can't really think of. water weight that way. It comes and goes, especially for women. You can keep it as stable as possible by drinking lots of fluids and keeping your sodium in check however.
  • bsenka
    bsenka Posts: 33
    Options
    Have I misunderstood the 3,500 calories = 1lb rule?

Only if you understood it to be a hard and fast rule. It's an average guideline.

Everyone's metabolism is different. For some even a minor calorie deficit will trigger dramatic weight loss, yet an extreme increase in calories will not cause them to gain. For others, it's the opposite. Also, for many people, the macro-nutrient breakdown is much bigger factor than the total calories.