Can't do push ups...alternative anyone?

Options
So I knew this many months ago, but have been doing strengthing exercises, and thought I could try it again, however I was wrong. About 6 months ago, I went to the doctor reference some sharp pains I was having in my left shoulder and wrist. I knew about the wrist, but it hadn't flared up in while so I wasn't too concerned. They took an xray of the shoulder and apparently some time ago I separated my shoulder from my collar bone. Nothing to major...However I was told the pain that just flared up out of the blue was arthritis, and due to my exercise workout (JIllian Michaels ab workout) and the numerous push ups I was doing irritated the shoulder..Some anti-imflammatories and PT. I fell out of the working out until 3 weeks ago, and started back slowly, and have now added in more, until today...I was reminded ever so subtly...(not, I can hardly move my shoulder without it popping or being in pain, wrist too) that even with the PT I don't know that I will be able to do push ups again :( So knowing these are great strengthing activiites, and I can't support myself on my shoulders and wrists, at least on the left side, any suggestions to help my abs and arms?

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If your shoulder and wrist are messed up I would just stick with PT for now and go with what they tell you to do. Working upper body with a bum wrist would be the hardest part.
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the PT in a while, it really didn't seem to be helping them either way, and I guess in my mind it wasn't going to fix it, it'll still be separated
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You could do them off the wall - less pressure on the wrists & shoulder

Hands on the wall, feel about 2-3 feet back and try to put your forearm onto the wall keeping your elbows next to your body.

It works your arms rather than shoulder / chest
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i also have a shoulder issue that slowly getting better.
    you're going to need to work up to being able to support yourself. some of the exercises that have really helped my shoulder get better are YTWL, isometric movements and exaggerating my scapular movement when i do things like rowing.

you can also try things like overhead press, side lateral raise and front arm raise. bit of course get the OK from your PT first.

eventually you'll be able to do push ups, just give it time
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I will look at doing some of those, of course after I can move my shoulder again, thank you so much. I have stopped with the PT, haven't done it since I moved out here...I didn't feel that it was doing anything for me, granted I stopped with my workouts at this time...I generally can do most moves with it, just not any weight bearing activities. I was told there is nothing they can do to fix it, there was no way to reattach the two pieces, eventually I will have to have surgery to scrape the calcification off, although hopefully that is in the far off future....