Gluten free questions!!!!!

Options
Hello!!! I have a couple of questions...

I live in an area where it seems like SO many people are going gluten free or raw or both. They all talk about how much better they feel, and how they can totally do this for life. I am intrigued. Not so much by raw - although I do own a great raw cookbook, and enjoy a lot of the recipes. I am intrigued by the gluten free trend (I COMPLETELY understand that it is not just a "trend" and that many people are severely allergic to gluten).

I read on a gluten free website that you only have to go 7 days without consuming gluten to feel a difference. Also, it said that you can find out if you are gluten intolerant by giving it up for 7 days and then consuming it again to see if you have a reaction. IS THAT RIGHT??? I thought it would have to be a month!!!

I've been gluten, sugar (I am a HUGE sugar lover, so I am breaking myself of this), and dairy free (except for some cheese) for 2 weeks now, and I don't feel a difference!! Everyone has said that you will have more energy (I actually have less) and generally feel so much better (I feel about the same).

I will say (and I don't know if this is because of giving up gluten or just because I have decided to be FULLY committed to getting healthy) that I am not very hungry. It's becoming challenging to find new foods to eat enough (I stopped eating ALL beef, pork, and fish when I was 10, so bread/grains have been a huge part of my diet for years -which is part of the reason I am so big!!!!!!) - BUT I am!!!

Does anyone have any insight into this?? Should I feel a difference after 2 weeks??? Should I try to eat wheat this week to see if I have a reaction, or should I wait??

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I have recently had a positive coeliac test, waiting further tests before having to go gluten free for life which I am NOT looking forward to doing. My sister is coeliac and has been gluten free for the last few years.

By all means eat healthy, cut down on bread etc if it makes you feel better, but going gluten free when you don't have to is ridiculous, it's not easy and severely restricts what you can eat and where!
    the reason you dont feel any better is because there is nothing medically wrong with you that will benefit from eating gluten free so I'd reintroduce wheat now, and just aim for a healthy, balanced diet. If you are intolerant to gluten generally you would know it already and be ill after eating it. There is also 'silent coeliac disease' which doesnt cause a reaction to eating gluten, but the damage in your intestines still occurs. In this case cutting out and reintroducing gluten would have no effects that you can feel, only an endoscopy can show any reaction.

People wanting to go gluten free 'just for fun' does actually affect confirmed who HAVE to be gluten free, as restaurants think they are just being picky and gives the impression that a little bit of gluten doesn't hurt, when in fact it can make a coeliac seriously ill!!!
    These people don't seen to understand that they will have to inpsect every food package forever to check if it contains even a trace of gluten, pay way more for uncontaminated 'normal' foods such as oats, can never eat at their favourite restaurant again because the chef may have handled other food containing gluten before making their meal, or prepare all food at home in a total separate area to their family's meals, even a crumb left in the butter can make my sister ill!
    It makes me so mad people who say 'look at me, I'm gluten free' but only do it when it suits them grrrrr!

Rant over :/
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi OpenHeaven,

Here's a little bit about me:
    I have been lactose free for four years and gluten free for almost three years. I put myself on this diet after feeling ill and 'off' for many years. I initially suspected dairy because my mom is dairy intolerant and it can be hereditary. After quitting dairy I felt great at first, I had been sick for so long I forgot what it felt like to be normal! After a few months though I started feeling sick again. I cut gluten out of my diet after a few close friends were diagnosed with celiacs just to see what would happen. I felt so much better! I am currently still dealing with some stomach issues and I am *finally* going to see a doctor about them as opposed to dealing with them on my own. I don't know if I am being 'glutenated' on accident or if I have some other underlying issues or what. I'm hoping to figure that out but its going to be a long process.

A gluten free/ dairy free diet can be very challenging. It's been a couple of years and I am still learning how do this. I basically had to reinvent how I cook and eat. Since starting this diet I have accidentally ingested gluten on several occasions-almost always at a restaurant- and this has proven to me that I am at least gluten intolerant (I get soo sick after eating gluten).

*Here's where I actually attempt to answer your question ;p* --> That being said, I have no idea if being gluten free is right for you. Every body is so different. I only have my own experiences to go off of but initially I would say that if you don't feel any different or in fact have LESS energy from this diet that it might not be the right choice for you. Based off of my own experience and what I have read it should only take a week to two weeks for the unwanted food to leave your system. I noticed changes within two or three days! Also, if you really want to find out if gluten may be making you sick I would recommend eliminating only one thing from your diet at a time. Its possible that your lack of energy could be coming from cutting sugar or dairy out of your diet, not from cutting out the gluten. There is lots of information online about doing Elimination Diets to test for food allergies, if you're interested in finding out if you have food allergies/issues I would follow one of those.

As far as reintroducing gluten to your diet, that's up to you. Sorry I can't offer you very much help there.

Our bodies are such finicky things aren't they? Finding a food intolerance/ allergy/issues diet that works for you is liking going on any weight-loss diet- there is no One Size Fits All, you just have to find what works for you.

Good luck on your journey and I hope you're able to figure it out in the end :)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    In September it will be 2 years since I have eaten gluten. I never got diagnosed officially but gluten makes me feel extremely tired. I am also extremely addicted to it. Whenever I heard about people giving up gluten i got really defensive about it because deep down i knew that I had a problem with it and I wasn't ready to make that change yet. I feel better now that i took it out of my life and I don't even do any gluten free products either because I also don't like the way it makes me feel. What this has caused me to do is find my inner healthnut. I now eat raw veggies above everything else. I no longer eat anything processed for fear that it has gluten in it and I rarely go out to dinner because it is a pain in the *kitten* explaining my needs to the waiter, especially in another language. I no longer eat regular soy sauce, or any sauces, any soups that I haven't made myself, any boxed meals of any kind, any bread cakes or cookies, any oats etc etc etc. I have been slowly losing weight over the last year and a half, My body is thanking me for this change and this time I can say with complete certainty that I will never gain my weight back again once I get to where I want to be because giving up gluten is a life committment for me. I do not miss it at all either. I have been a pescetarian since I was 10 years old so I do eat fish and eggs as well as beans for my protein. I can only speak for myself. You will have to play around with food to see what feels best for you. Listen to what your body is trying to tell you. Good luck. Bread was my biggest downfall too before I gave it up. I am really happy that I did.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bump for morning.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i agree with em9371's rant. i just recently got fooled into thinking something at a restaurant was gluten free (i was told it was) but turns out it wasnt. i actually have allergies and eating too much gluten not only gives me headaches and bloating, but i also develop hives and it can be so bad that my throat constricts because my face and neck get so swollen.

when i called the restaurant on it because their pizza was the only thing that could have possibly contained gluten i was told "oh we just say that when people ask because it's usually someone following a fad diet" :explode: luckily i'm not full blown celiac, and i only got minor reaction, but i did let them know that there are people out there with legitimate issues with gluten who could have serious reaction to their lie.

in any case, back on topic, if you dont have issues with gluten then i dont see the point in giving it up. it's seriously a pain in the behind since gluten is in so many things that you might not even think about.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I try to eat wheat free because I've seen videos about the book wheat belly and it's not a grain I want to digest. Brown rice and millet bread and english muffins are really good too.

If you really want more energy I'd recommend Dr Junger's clean diet.
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options

People wanting to go gluten free 'just for fun' does actually affect confirmed who HAVE to be gluten free, as restaurants think they are just being picky and gives the impression that a little bit of gluten doesn't hurt, when in fact it can make a coeliac seriously ill!!!
    These people don't seen to understand that they will have to inpsect every food package forever to check if it contains even a trace of gluten, pay way more for uncontaminated 'normal' foods such as oats, can never eat at their favourite restaurant again because the chef may have handled other food containing gluten before making their meal, or prepare all food at home in a total separate area to their family's meals, even a crumb left in the butter can make my sister ill!
    It makes me so mad people who say 'look at me, I'm gluten free' but only do it when it suits them grrrrr!

I couldn't agree with you more, I am sick and tired of people "giving it a go" like it is some new fangled weight loss miracle pill :explode: IT IS NOT!!
    If you have no real need to be GF then don't!!! It is expensive, it can be soul crushing when you can't find a restaurant to go to with your girl friends to have a night out. My gluten intolerance doesn't just effect my tummy, I had to change my shampoo/conditioner all of my makeup and even my hand cream, I get welts on my skin that itch like mad and burn like crazy. This is not some fad for those of us who have this, it is a way of life and people who "give it a go" do not help one iota! My recent blood tests came back nice and healthy except for the fact that I am anemic. Apparently it is partly (a big part) due to the fact that I can no longer eat bread as most are fortified with iron of some sort. I'm sorry for the rant as well but please think this through.

Yes when I first went GF I dropped heap of weight, yes I have more energy sleep better and no longer suffer painful tummy bloats and yes after my daughter went GF in order to offer me support, no longer has the problems she has had for years BUT one slip up or a restaurant faking being GF and I suffer for days with pain.

If you want to do anything in regards to gluten free, then try supporting the locals around you who suffer from it, by encouraging better labeling or telling restaurants this is real and not a fad :flowerforyou:
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I thought you where going to ask "why does gluten free lower the good bacteria in the intestinal tract?"

What? Aren't you mostly gluten free?
  • em9371
    Options
    meshashesha20 / aegira,
    thanks for your replies, good to see its not only me that sees the problem with this. I'm not yet GF, am back at hospital for further tests next month, but from my sister I know how hard it is and i am totally NOT looking forward to it :-(

OpenHeaven, cutting out wheat / grain is TOTALLY different to going gluten free, gluten is used as a binder / thickener in things you would never even think of checking that obviously dont contain wheat such as burgers, icecream, chocolate, even cream cheese!!
    If you choose to stick with this, make sure you point out to restaurants that you just choose not to eat wheat rather than you are gluten free, as meshashesha20 said they have enough issues with gluten free as it is, and need to understand how serious it can be!

A lot of restaurants for example will let you bring your own gf pizza bases, but unless they are cooked in a totally clean, seperate kitchen, there is a good chance of cross contamination from the ovens / utensils, even flour in the air from other dishes so very often your gluten free meal may not be gluten free after all.
    If you are just 'playing' at being gluten free then this will not be an issue, but for coeliacs it is and restaurants need to understand that this is a medical condition and them advertising things as gluten free when they are not can seriously affect peoples health!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I know there is a real disease but I go wheat free because its clean. I personally like to avoid foods that cause others problems like wheat, peanuts, dairy and soy although I have no known problems digesting them. It also is not really that expensive unless you buy a lot of prepared foods. I use organic brown rice flour for everything which is a little more expensive than organic whole wheat but only a dollar or two more for 5 lbs.

I personally think everyone would be better off being wheat free and low to no gluten.

speaking of pizza, this is a good recipe although I changed brown sugar to stevia and a few other alterations.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/02/gluten-free-pizza-crust-my-new-recipe.html
  • em9371
    Options
    I know there is a real disease but I go wheat free because its clean. I personally like to avoid foods that cause others problems like wheat, peanuts, dairy and soy although I have no known problems digesting them. It also is not really that expensive unless you buy a lot of prepared foods. I use organic brown rice flour for everything which is a little more expensive than organic whole wheat but only a dollar or two more for 5 lbs.

I personally think everyone would be better off being wheat free and low to no gluten.

speaking of pizza, this is a good recipe although I changed brown sugar to stevia and a few other alterations.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/02/gluten-free-pizza-crust-my-new-recipe.html

thank you sooo much for that link :-)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you have an actual intolerance to those foods, there is absolutely no health or fitness benefit to giving them up.

It is absolutely a trend. It's a very small percentage of the population that is celiac or gluten intolerant. Everyone else just thinks it's the cool thing to do.

I feel perfectly fine eating gluten and am extremely healthy (at least according to my last two physicals). I have plenty of energy as long as I eat healthy, exercise and get enough sleep.

I do have a slight dairy intolerance that's developed over the last five years, but I know this based on the fact that when I eat certain dairy foods, I feel sick after. So I don't eat them.

Do you feel unwell after eating gluten?

EDITED TO ADD: Psychosomatic reactions feel very real to people. If you really, truly believe that gluten free will make you feel better, you will probably feel better even if there's no actual physical change.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you find out if there is any health reason for you to go gluten-free. Have bloodwork and biopsies done to see if you're gluten intolerant or have celiac disease. If you don't have either of these conditions, there is really no benefit to going gluten free.

My father is a celiac, so I'm quite familiar with gliuten-free eating. It's a lot of work!
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The other thing that can cause a lot of intestinal issuses is eating hi GI foods. I have cut out all hi Gi foods from my diet for the last week. I felt so much better! I knew that every time I ate bread,pasta etc. I would get a very upset stomach and feel miserable. I knew it could just be gluten because it would happen when I ate rice or potatoes( side note, the reason so many more people are at least gluten intolerant is that since they started using more genetically modified food there is twice as much gluten in wheat as there was thirty years ago.) Anyway I started cutting out hi Gi foods and that seems tohave really helped my. Yesterday to try it out I had one oatmeal cookie and a glass of milk. Within an hour I felt so sick and I still feel sick this morning! Anyway I hope you find what is wrong!
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My kid has celiacs and has been gluten free for 5 years now. It could take a year for the body to totally rid itself of the gluten we were told. She felt great right away with elimination. Blood work was the first, then an endoscopy proved the diagnosis. It is a myth to think you will lose weight we were told. She hasn't lost weight...although beforehand she did...because her body did not absorb the nutrients in food. I don't think the diet is hard...she eats all things..but I am a stay at home mom and on top of her diet. I would eat healthy if I was you....I"m not gluten free...although all of my dinners are for us...just easier than cooking various meals. Everything in moderation would and should be our motto in my opinion.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My kid has celiacs and has been gluten free for 5 years now. It could take a year for the body to totally rid itself of the gluten we were told. She felt great right away with elimination. Blood work was the first, then an endoscopy proved the diagnosis. It is a myth to think you will lose weight we were told. She hasn't lost weight...although beforehand she did...because her body did not absorb the nutrients in food. I don't think the diet is hard...she eats all things..but I am a stay at home mom and on top of her diet. I would eat healthy if I was you....I"m not gluten free...although all of my dinners are for us...just easier than cooking various meals. Everything in moderation would and should be our motto in my opinion.
    I forgot..you may be interested in recipes on Katrina's Kitchen
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input.

To clear a few things up for those of you upset with me...
    I am not interested in fad diets. I am not just "giving this a go". One of my closest friends is severely allergic to gluten. If she has the SMALLEST bit of gluten, her body starts to swell up immediately and she feels the effects for days. I understand COMPLETELY that gluten is in almost everything, and that it is not just wheat. I understand that it is not an easy lifestyle to live. I understand how difficult it can be at restaurants - I have been with her when she has asked the waiter twice, and then asked again for the waiter to go ask the cook specifically, and STILL she had a reaction. It is heartbreaking to watch.

At the same time, I am just trying to figure my body out. She has told me a lot about her symptoms, and many of them clicked with me, so I thought that I would go without ALL gluten (not just wheat) for a month at the most (she said that she went 3 months and then started adding things in to find out what she was reacting to) to see what happened. For the record, I haven't had ANY packaged foods for 2 weeks. NOTHING with gluten in it. I have had some cheese, but I checked, and it was gluten free. I happened to be doing some research on a gluten free website and it said that you only had to give it up for a week to find out if you are intolerant, which surprised me, so I thought the MFP community could offer some first-hand knowledge. I love this place!!!!

Again, thank you ALL who commented. I really appreciate ALL feedback. To the offended ones - PLEASE KNOW that was not at all my intention. I am not a fad person. I am not a person who wants to make other people's lives more difficult. It frustrates me when I hear stories like the person talking about the pizza place blatantly LYING to customers because they believe that celiacs disease is not real - I know celiacs - I have seen their pain.

Again - THANK YOU ALL!!!! HAPPY MONDAY!!!!!!!
  • em9371
    Options
    hi open heaven,
    sorry i didnt mean to come across that i was offended at you, its just people in general that think being gluten free is the cool thing to do, i saw an article a few weeks ago about some celebrity so now everyone wants to do it, they make me so mad!

if you think you do have a reaction to gluten, its important to see your Dr BEFORE you go gluten free, or they are unable to test for it correctly. My sister and me were both told we must eat a normal, gluten containing diet until all tests are back positive - 2 blood tests a few months apart to check for antibodies, then an endscopy to check on damage to the villi in the intestines. Only then should you start eating gluten free, and then you are tested regularly to keep an eye on how you are improving.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Gluten does not affect everyone the same. I often go 2 weeks or more with little to no gluten, not because I have problems digesting it, just because I don't eat much bread and have brown rice with meals more than any other grain. I don't feel any different when I eat it than when I don't though.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free is a fad to some, and serious to others but if you feel better without it, why do you need to see a doctor? I just went through an endscopy for other reasons but I have been gluten free a long time now and feel great about it. I became a pescatarian when I was 10 years old. It wasn't to lose weight per say, it was to feel better after I eat. I always feel really crappy after I eat anything with gluten in it. My doctor told me that gluten intolerance goes along with dairy intolerance. I cannot eat ice cream or yogurt but I can drink a little milk in my tea and eat cheese no problems. We are all so different. I do believe that restaurants should be aware of these problems though, but it is on them if you have a huge reaction due to their negligence. I am sure Americans will be a bit more sensitive than Europeans in this arena due to fear of law suits. Saying this, I would never go out to a pizza place because most of the stuff served there has gluten in it (pasta, bread sticks, pizza etc etc) and I hate describing my issues. Intead I make pretty much all my meals at home so I know exactly what goes into them. I am healthier and feel better than I ever have before. If people want to go gluten free let them, the ones that see it as a lifestyle choice will continue, and the ones that are doing it for fun will not. I don't let that affect me, I only worry about myself. Having a nice meal at home is much more intimate and cozy with friends anyway. That is what most people do in Europe. Restaurants are reserved only for special occasions. I find it too much of a pain to go out often so I work around it and don't let it bother me.