Clean Eating!!?

Options
Hello everyone,
I have recently become more aware of clean eating. Does anyone have any tips in regards to it? I feel like I have been eating better lately, but maybe I'm making some common mistakes that could be corrected by cleaning up my eating?

All suggestions and tips welcome. I'm very curious!

Replies

• usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    bump, I just started eating clean last Monday and have dropped just under 4lbs, so will be interested in the reply's from others x
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    If you don't know where it came from, don't eat it.
    If it comes in a package don't eat it
    If you read the ingredients and there are ingredients that you can't even pronounce, don't eat it
    If it grows in the ground, eat it
    If it comes from a tree, eat it
    If it was once an animal not too long ago, eat it =D

Haha, so basically
    - lean meat (good cut of steak, chicken breast, turkey, fish)
    - vegetables (especially greens)
    - fruits (ALL OF THEM =D)
    - WATER

stay away from
    - processed foods
    - artificial foods
    - fast food
    -soda
    - high sugar foods

But at the end of the day, the 'stay away from list' you can still indulge in them, in moderation =]
    80% clean, 20% not clean. because we are human, and it's pretty much way too difficult to have
    a 100% clean diet haha
  • Hope1971
    Hope1971 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My tips would be.....stay far away from Aspartame and High Fructose Corn Syrup , and things loaded with Chemicals. I am pretty much sticking to All Natural everything as much as possible...fresh fruit, veggies, meat, eggs, real cheese, etc...I have booted most everything processed out of my diet as much as possible anyways. It is a challenges because almost everything these days has crap in it and frustrating to read everything but once you start to get to know things by reading them it gets alot easier. :) I feel great and know I am giving my body those nutrients it has been starving for even though I was not starving calorie wise I was totally starving for the nutrients my body needs.
  • Hope1971
    Options
    If you read the ingredients and there are ingredients that you can't even pronounce, don't eat it

Haha, so basically
    - WATER

stay away from
    - processed foods
    - artificial foods
    - fast food
    -soda
    - high sugar foods

But at the end of the day, the 'stay away from list' you can still indulge in them, in moderation =]
    80% clean, 20% not clean. because we are human, and it's pretty much way too difficult to have
    a 100% clean diet haha

Perfect explanation!!! :)
  • ads7428
    ads7428 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow! Great tips so far, thank you.

I have been sitting here hunched over my tablet googling clean eating and opinions on it. Im really looking forward to giving it a try.

I have heard positive and negative opinions on fish, some say, eat it, others have said to leave it out completely. Im leaning to everything in moderation!
  • Mera_Mera
    Mera_Mera Posts: 153
    Options

Haha, so basically
    - WATER

stay away from
    - processed foods
    - artificial foods
    - fast food
    -soda
    - high sugar foods

a 100% clean diet haha

Simple and so true! Thank you!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    im not 100% clean eater but i wonder what people define as "clean eating".

what about stuff like cheese? its natural but its been processes, it comes in a package.
    yoghurt?
    all that kinda stuff. good for you, but its a package. or how about canned beans? processed, but no other ingredients.. frozen veggies (for convience really..) but its still veggies.
    stell cut oats.... been procesed and comes out of a packet, yet id consider this healthy and part of a clean eating diet.

not having a go if thats what it sounds like.. just nice to know where people stand.

ETA: ive always defined it as "its something that is an ingredient, not has ingredients"
  • ads7428
    ads7428 Posts: 10
    Options

Awesome! Thanks :-)
  • Hope1971
    Options

what about stuff like cheese? its natural but its been processes, it comes in a package.
    yoghurt?
    all that kinda stuff. good for you, but its a package. or how about canned beans? processed, but no other ingredients.. frozen veggies (for convience really..) but its still veggies.
    stell cut oats.... been procesed and comes out of a packet, yet id consider this healthy and part of a clean eating diet.

not having a go if thats what it sounds like.. just nice to know where people stand.

ETA: ive always defined it as "its something that is an ingredient, not has ingredients"

I will eat canned veggies etc....but I look at the can ..like my cans of corn in my cupboard only have corn, water, salt. ...To me the more unknown ingredients the more I stay away from it. I eat cheese packaged but more like bricks with a couple ingredients instead of a list of 10 things that I have no clue what they are. If the food is lab chemically altered I try hard to stay away as much as possible. I will eat packaged noodles etc, however again i look at that label ..tonight mine had one ingredient in it whole wheat. My spaghetti sauce was all natural ingredients also and was a jar. So I do eat things from packages ..I just watch the labels:)
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have been gradually adding cleaner foods to my diet. This past month I've been hung ho clean.... these are my guidelines.

80% of my food comes from the outer walls of the grocery store, I stay away from the boxed process foods. I googled "worst food additives " and I stay away from those items and choose foods with natural alternatives. I stay away from processed meats, they have nitrates. I only drink water in its purest form/ no fluoride. Organic foods are a must because they have clean ingredients....no pesticides etc etc I stay away from artificial anything! Dyes, flavors, sugars. I read food labels and im enjoying learning about what is what....google is great A good rule of thumb, if there are more than 6 ingredients in a food, don't eat it. I stay away from high fructose corn syrup its so...that crap is everywhere. Read labels I stay away from the " whites"...white rice, white bread, white pasta. While grains are the way to go, if you can't handle whole grain flour, buy the Unbleached flour.

That's all I can think of right now...im sure as soon as hit post I will think of more.
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I typed my reply on my phone...its a bit discombobulated. I hope you all can read through the mess.
  • Hope1971
    Options
    I typed my reply on my phone...its a bit discombobulated. I hope you all can read through the mess.

It came out fine on the thread! :)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat, corn and soy free, the only dairy I have is organic kefir, I don't eat refined sugars, or any sweeteners besides stevia. I try to buy mostly organic vegetables and fruit. I don't eat peanuts.

I try to follow Dr Junger's clean diet with some exceptions like organic eggs and kefir.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I find the more I make from scratch using raw ingredients, the less likely it's going to have preservatives or unwanted sweeteners and flavours. I make my own pizza, muffins, pies, nuggets, if I feel like it, I make it. I know exactly what goes into it and I can also tweak the recipe to make it healthier. And the more you take your time to make it, you don't end up eating it so often because it becomes less convenient.

Using raw, fresh ingredients taste great and feels great
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I really loved eating clean, I did for about a year. Now I still watch my sugar intake, keep to natural sugars whenever possible. I also make most of my condiments at home to avoid bull inside them. Unfortunately, I've since become a pescetarian and I have an unseeemly fake meat addiction. The ingredients are nothing like what's in a hot dog, so I'm not really that worried.

I think it's one of the better ways to eat. Making your own protein bars, power balls, frozen meals, whatever, it's all a lot cheaper and you're less paranoid about getting garbage. You get to eat so many flavors since you're not eating convenience food.

The only thing I dislike about it is the initial sugar headaches. :)
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Eat Clean Cookbook is really good too, for recipe ideas, especially when starting out! :)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

yoghurt?

I think when people talk abotu processed - what they are really saying is processed in an unnatural way.

So adding preservatives/sweeteners/colouring agents etc. Cheese is just a different form of a natural food.

Bear in mind that cutting meat could be called processing.

It really is that logical difference between natural and unnatural.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Haha, so basically
    - WATER

stay away from
    - processed foods
    - artificial foods
    - fast food
    -soda
    - high sugar foods

a 100% clean diet haha

Literally could not have put it better.
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Haha, so basically
    - WATER

stay away from
    - processed foods
    - artificial foods
    - fast food
    -soda
    - high sugar foods

a 100% clean diet haha

My philosophy too - especially the 80:20 rule