Running + Thunder Thighs = Bad Combination!

Options
I have been doing Insanity and P90X for over a year and decided to finally challenge myself. I (along with my wonderful husband) are doing the 5 mile Muckus Ruckus for MS in May in St. Louis, Missouri.

To train, I am starting to run! Yesterday, I ran for an entire hour! I was so proud of myself! Today I ran for 45 minutes...not too bad!

Unfortunately, my upper thighs rub together and I am experiencing a lot of pain from the rubbing. Does anyone have any advice to prevent this from happening? I am hoping the running will help by reducing the size of my thighs, but until that happens (if ever), I'd like to hear if others experience this and what they do to help. It gets hot here in St. Louis (it was 90 degrees today!) so I would rather not resort to capris or long pants to wear during running.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

Replies

• alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I run in basketball shorts. They are short/loose enough to keep me cool, but long enough to keep my thighs from getting to friendly with each other.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Spandex running shorts. They stop about mid-thigh or to the knee. My hubby found some at walmart. He wears them under his shorts.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Drop by your local running store for either some compression shorts, or a tube of bodyglide cream. The shorts keep your legs from rubbing on each other. Bodyglide makes skin slide over skin, so it doesn't get irritated.

Chafing is a common problem for runners of all shapes and sizes. Don't let it stop you. Also, some Gold Bond or other body powder on the irritated ares will help, especially right after showering
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I saw it at the store. ....Monistat makes an anti chaffing gel you rub on and it's supposed to help prevent chaffing. You can buy it at walgreen's or CVS.
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    long enough to keep my thighs from getting to friendly with each other.

:laugh: omg, thanks for that.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The chafe is uncomfortable for sure. I don't have an issue with running (probably because I don;' do it for long enough).

Funny story, when we did a large weekend hike in the Grand Canyon we crossed the water back and forth all day in shorts and many miles resulting in bad chafe. I thought I'd help it out by putting some bacitracin on. Then my body decides that is the moment to have an allergic reaction to bacitracin for the first time. Dermatitis on top of chafe. I'm sure it was hilarious to watch me walk, scratch that, waddle, around for the next week!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Deodorant works too and doesn't require an extra trip to get anything.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have found is a product called SportShield. It's a roll-on silicone liquid used by ultra runners. Body Glide is popular and easy to find, but it's expensive for what you get and tends to break off the base prematurely...and it doesn't work for high mileage efforts. A bottle of SportShield lasts me about 3x as long and is worth ordering (I believe RunningWarehouse.com and RoadrunnerSports.com both carry it. I've ordered it from ZombieRunner.com, too). They also make a sock powder, BlisterShield, that is awesome if you get blisters on your feet. I've run 3 marathons without a single blister.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Spandex running shorts. They stop about mid-thigh or to the knee. My hubby found some at walmart. He wears them under his shorts.
    This. Stops chub rub.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BodyGlide or Sports Shield are great. I also use plain old vaseline. I always look like a perv lubing up in my car before races. lol It works great for me, even up to the marathon distance.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    petroleum jelly (vaselin). Shorts like mentioned above is also good
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love my compression shorts and will not run without them. Since I have a bit of giggle with the rubbing then shorts have two purposes... prevent chafe and hold the giggle down to a minimum!
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some great stuff here! I also appreciate that I am not the only one suffering from "chub rub"...that was a great term by the way! Love it!