Exercise with kids in tow

Options
I really want to put some regular exercise into my days, when I am home with the kids and hubby is at work, instead of thinking I will workout in the evening when he's home and then sitting on the couch doing nothing even remotely energetic.

I have two kids, my son will be 5 in June and daughter 3 in July. My son is pretty good on his bike so sometimes at the weekends, he will ride and I will walk/run alongside but my daughter hasn't worked out how to ride a bike yet. I've tried getting them to kick a soccer ball around with me but they loose interest long before I do! They quite like shuttle runs if I mix it up and get them to walk backwards/roll along the ground/jump or whatever but I've injured my ankle so I can't really run with them.

There must be others who are in this situation with young children, so I would love to hear what you do.

Not only is it exercise for me, but it's encouraging them to have an active lifestyle too.

Replies

• arodarte91
    Options
    I have a five month old and strapping her in a stroller and going for a walk is hardly an option here in the rainy state of Washington. And now she is teething which means hardly napping, so I have no down time!
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My kids are 8 years old and 20 months. My daughter rides her bike while I run but I can only exercise when my son is sleeping or otherwise occupied. lol
    Could you get a kid's workout DVD and do it along with them?
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Lots of walks-let your older one bike and you can push the stroller. Find a park with a walking trail surrounding it and let the kids play while you run and they're still in your sight. Use the monkey bars at a park for pullups or arm hangs. Mow the grass while the kids play in the yard or do sidewalk chalk. Play "zookeeper"-have your kids be the zookeepers who call out different types of animals. Run across the yard like the animals-just think of the crazy planks you can do as an alligator!
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Arodarte91, have you tried baby wearing? I do that for my daily exercise AND he's a grumpy teething 7month old! I give him gripe water and put him in my wrap carrier, he falls asleep most of the time so I can go for a walk,house clean and even do baby wearing exercises. :smile:

Good Luck everyone!
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your coments.

Mstawnya, I actually did take the kids out with Mr 4 on his bike and Miss 2 in the buggy (she wasn't happy to be contained but those little legs make for slow pace!) shortly after this post. Your suggestions are great.

Arodarte, I have a storm cover for the buggy - my son has awful silent reflux and getting out for a walk was the only way to get him to sleep (and maintain my sanity) when he was a baby. I just made sure to wrap him up warmly and put the storm cover on. Some decent wet weather gear makes it more pleasant for you. I didn't go out when it was really heavy rain, though.
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    take them to the pool? even if you don't get to swim lengths, walking about in the little pool with them gives you quite a workout, especially if you take a ball or some pool toys like dive sticks etc and really get stuck in with them. I'm a member of a child-friendly gym with a kids pool which makes that an easier option. and it will be good for the kids to learn to swim and have safe fun in the water.
  • EmmaR84
    EmmaR84 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My children are a similar age to yours, my son was 5 in February and my daughter is 3 (4 in June).
    They both got "big" bikes for Christmas and are again, like yours, my son will happily ride his but my daughter struggles to go far on hers.
    Every weekend we go to a local park or a National Trust property with big grounds and spend the afternoon walking around it and we give the children a list of htings to find (flowers/sticks/feathers/insects/signs) which keeps them amused and then they have the reward of playing on the playground at the end.

I've started doing 30 day shred at home, my son hasn't taken much interest and will sit at the other end of the room with his lego but my daughter loves copying it. She enjoys doing star jumps (jumping jacks) tries to do press ups, laughs at me doing sit ups and during the strenght training she will grap toilet roll tubes (of course I don't give her weights) and copies what I am doing. It's quite cute, I'm not forcing her to do it, I didn't even encourage her to copy she just decided she wanted to do it too.

Once my daughter turns 4 she has asked to start at the ballet classes in our village (they're a bargain, only £2 for an hour!) and we''re looking for a football (soccer) club for my son to join. My neighbour owns horses so once they're a little older they will be able to start going riding too.
  • NikkiHotchkin
    Options
    I have a 5 and 3 year old as well. I love to run, but there is no way I can push a double stroller up the huge hills on my road. I recently started doing DVDs at home. P90X and Insanity.....the workouts are about an hour, so I have the boys either paint or play with playdough or something while I do my workout. Also, your local gym may have a babysitting service, our YMCA does. I have used that in the past, plus you can get some mommy time!!!
  • BendySpartan
    BendySpartan Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and we do a lot of dancing, just stick the music chanels on and bop around for half an hour or so, extra exercise by picking her up etc!!! Also lots of games of tag, soft play is an excellent workout too, especially if your LO's are as quick as mine lol
    Chasing round the park, walking, lots of kids games - musical statues, musical chairs but with cushions, hula hooping etc but mostly just general craziness!!!
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My kids are 6 and 3 and I struggle with this too. I bought an exercise bike so I can jump on that while they are busy playing. Now the nights are getting lighter I'm going to start running again after they have gone to bed and my husband is at home. I jight even be able to get in a few runs with my eldest as she did race for life with me last year (a 5k) and wants to do it again this year so we'll need to get in some practise before July. I also have a few exercise dvds that I do in an evening or through the day if the girls are entertaining themselves (there isn't room for all of us to try and do the exercises - we'd be tripping over each other!)
  • aprilgraciete
    aprilgraciete Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old loves doing DVDs with me. It's really cute to see her try to copy the moves. I've taken all three kids to a local track (3 year old, 14 month old twins) and walk/jog on the track with the twins in the stroller and have the 3 year old play in the field in the middle of the track. It kind of works......The other day as a joke I did squats, lunges, and bicep curls using a kid as a weight lol..........Might actually do that one again. She laughed the entire time haha!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    take them to the pool? even if you don't get to swim lengths, walking about in the little pool with them gives you quite a workout, especially if you take a ball or some pool toys like dive sticks etc and really get stuck in with them. I'm a member of a child-friendly gym with a kids pool which makes that an easier option. and it will be good for the kids to learn to swim and have safe fun in the water.

I did this ^^ when my daughter was a toddler - I got one of those floatie rings that she could sit in (that also had a sun shade - very important for little skin!) and then I "pool jogged" pushing her around, playing with her and making faces, noises, etc. She loved it and I got in some great exercise! (Pool jogging is MUCH harder than it looks, plus the resistance of the water helps build some muscle, believe it or not!). I also got up an hour before she did to get in some serious exercise first thing in the morning - then no matter what happened the rest of the day, I'd already worked out!
  • babigurl86
    babigurl86 Posts: 138
    Options
    my sons are 2,3,5 and 8,i usually go out for a walk with them most days.at home i do dvd workouts or xbox games and they get involved.
    sometimes i wake early so i can get in my workout b4 they wake.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Ok this is going to sound a bit insane; I've never actually calculated the calories but 'WOW that's what i call nursery rhymes' and 'The Best of Wiggles' are pretty much non-stop singing and dancing (jumping around). My younger kids (9 and 2-(nearly 3)) absolutely love it! You can really go for it, jumping up and down and twisting etc. I really do get a bit of a sweat on! haha

I think I may try it tonight and put my HRM on - just for fun! lol

Good luck. x
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've put my oldest on a bike and my youngest in a stroller and done walk/ runs with them. But otherwise I hand them off to daddy and workout alone.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My 5yr old loves dancing zumba fit wii with me and copying 30 day shred. We go for walks and race. When I take her to the park and no responsible adults are watching I climb and swing and run with her - makes me sweat everytime. She is very active. Other than that, I get home early on mondays and work out before I get her from preschool.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have a 12, 11, 8, 8 year old girls!

I go to the fitness room in my building and with them in tow their scooters and bikes, balls and jump ropes look like a Child Pride Parade. They pretty much take over the space outside of the room and I take up the space inside. The only sure thing about it is, someone will have to go to the bathroom before my time ends... No matter how many times they pee before hand!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have 7 and 5 year olds and one on the way. I cannot recommend highly enough joining your local ymca. I tried for ever to do it from home and I just never had the ability. The y keeps them busy and me motivated!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Pull both of them in a wagon for a few miles. That will get you going :)