thoughts on the new coconut water fad

Options
is it tasty?

is it good for you ?

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I like it and it's tasty. Try it and see if you do :)
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    not a fan at all.... but that's just me. Give it a try - you might like it.
  • nnw8604
    nnw8604 Posts: 15
    Options
    I like it. Just by itself though, no extra flavors. Apparently it helps to re-hydrate a lot better than water. Electrolytes.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I LOVE anything coconut, and thought I'd love the water, but I hated it!!!! I only tried the Vita Coco brand, so I can't speak for the others. Maybe the flavored ones are better, but they have too much sugar for my taste.

On another note, I LOVE Coconut MILK! :smile: The Almond milk with coconut is amazing, too!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You said it all - fad.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I like it. Just by itself though, no extra flavors. Apparently it helps to re-hydrate a lot better than water. Electrolytes.

It's got electrolytes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxq0IDqD04
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOVE coconut, BUT the water to me tastes disgusting! Bleh! :sick:
  • ewells2420
    Options

Nothing hydrates better then water. The sodium/electrolytes in the coconut milk will restore levels in the body if they are low though. Also if you get real coconut water without sugar added its pretty bad IMO.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is very healthy and far from a fad! It has indeed been turned into some major new thing but has been around for years my mother use to give this to me when I was very ill.

It is better than any man made glucose drink and is ideal to drink after exercise to replace nutrients. Be careful to buy organic or it will be no better than drinking a sugar filled energy drink
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie for breakfast every morning, and I tried making it with coconut water on a whim, and it makes the BEST smoothies!! Doesn't have the heaviness of dairy, or the extra carbs or sugar of juice, and it just intensifies the flavour. I did a 100km charity walk last summer and we used coconut water cut with gatorade for hydration and it worked better then either just water or just gatorade (blech, who can stand the stuff!). If you're using it for hydration, it does contain electrolytes, but no sodium, so if you're doing long distance stuff like running for several hours, soccer, or like we did walking straight for 2 days, you still need to get your salt replacement from all your sweat cause it won't help with that.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I mix it with frozen fruit in the blender for a frozen "ice cream" it is really good! I also use the coconut milk and almond milk :o)
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Nothing hydrates better then water. The sodium/electrolytes in the coconut milk will restore levels in the body if they are low though. Also if you get real coconut water without sugar added its pretty bad IMO.

Actually, when exercising for extended periods of time with large levels of sodium loss through sweat, water will not help hydrate you because it further dilutes the amount of sodium in your blood, which can become dangerously low, lead to heart palpitations, muscle cramps, and even mental confusion. Salt and electrolytes also pull the water into your circulation, so when they are low, more of the water just flushes right out of you. This only applies to exercise for extended periods however. If you go to the gym for an hour, water is probably best unless you are on an incredibly low salt intake. Also, it is important to look at the sodium content of what you are drinking. A lot of the different coconut water brands don't have a significant source of sodium in them unless it's added because it doesn't occur naturally. Food for thought. Or hydration for thought :)

2798359.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    For me it was NOT worth the money! :sick:
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is very healthy and far from a fad! It has indeed been turned into some major new thing but has been around for years my mother use to give this to me when I was very ill.

It is better than any man made glucose drink and is ideal to drink after exercise to replace nutrients. Be careful to buy organic or it will be no better than drinking a sugar filled energy drink

Exactly - not new and not a fad...you are probably seeing more because more companies are making it available...

it has a got of potassium and a lot of electrolytes which is beneficial if you have worked out - I drink it usually after a hard work out to replenish electrolytes and potassium - much better then things like gatorade and less carbby for me than eating a banana...

You have to read the labels because not all are the same...and they all taste different...I personally like one from Harvest Bay but it can be hard to find (I find ones in a smaller tetrapack) - it has a slightly thicker taste
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like it cause I am really bad at drinking plain water. I found flavors really differ by packaging and brand. I prefer it in cartons instead of plastic.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Fresh coconut water has always been sold on the streets here in Thailand, by the fruit men. I don't like the taste personally, but it is very healthy.

Never heard of packaged stuff (it gets poured into a bag here!) so can't comment on that.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i love coconut water (straight from the coconut).......it's so refreshing:tongue:
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Coconut water has never been a fad for me. As a Nigerian I grew up eating coconuts and drinking coconut water. I really like it, it has a lot of potassium so after a run I always drink a bottle and I have fewer cramps, I'm more hydrated and it does wonders for my skin. I think the word "fad" is a perspective. Maybe its new in the United States, but for those that grew up with coconut trees around their compounds, its a healthy part of a balanced diet..but thats just my opinion :)
  • SchollinJ
    SchollinJ Posts: 22
    Options
    I try to keep my kids eating organic, so when they're ill I generally give them coconut water to replace their electrolytes(instead of Pedialite-too much sugar- my sons 5 and his pediatrician said its probably a good thing- I've been doing it since he was about 1 ) unless they're not eating than they get pediasmart. I love it on a regular basis and my children think its juice :)
  • philco41
    philco41 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My wife is from Costa Rica. When we travel there, there are often vendors along some highways selling fresh coconut water. They put it in plastic bags and give you a straw. It is refreshing.