Injury/calorie intake/exercise

Options
HI there, just wondering if anyone out there can help?

I have trochanteric bursitis, and been advised by my doc to rest for 4weeks. What I really want to know is if there are any light exercises or stretches that I can do (either just now or to ease myself back into my exercise in 4weeks time)? Also can I still do light upper body weights, so long as Im not putting any pressure on my legs?

Also since monday, I have put a few pounds on, as i have done no exercise at all since then (i normally do some form 6days out of 7). Would I be able to lower my cals to my BMR just for the short term, then increase gradually once I return to training?

Any help much appreciated!

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Just eat your base amount of calories... change your activity level if needed until you can get back to normal.

If you can do upper body stuff try doing weights... resistance bands. Not sure what your limits are. Can you go swimming? It's a good workout with less stress on the body.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Your weight gain is probably just normal fluctuation.

I stopped logging my food completely when I couldn't exercise normally with a stress fracture in January. I preferred the thought of gaining a few pounds to feeling hungry or deprived. I was irritable enough not being able to exercise. :wink: All told, I gained one pound, which was gone within two weeks of being able to exercise again. (And I was at maintenance, not trying to lose.)
  • pars1981
    pars1981 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!!

Mallory3411 - I think that swimming may well be an option for me, and I hadnt really thought of it to be honest!! We normally go with the kids so not much actual swimming going on when Im there normally! Its still painful just doing everyday walking (ie round the house, playing with the kids) so I dont really want to do much 'on my feet' as it were. it is getting less sore each day though thankfully.

LorinaLynn- hopefully thats all I gain then! I tend to use exercise as a way to stop me eating as much (doesnt always work though!) so not exercising means Im bored, and if Im bored Im quite often found in front of a cupboard :blushing:
    Hope your fracture's healed ok.

thanks again peeps :smile: