I can't take the silence!

Options
kristen49233
kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
Turned on my computer at work this morning and Pandora radio has been blocked...I can't access it. They've blocked all music websites. Uggghhh!! The silence is killing me. Maybe if I start singing really loud they will reconsider! :wink:

Seems like the makings for a new Footloose movie!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Replies

• JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Can you bring in a little radio? There is no way I could work in silence.
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Mine too! i can't even access it from my phone at work either! waaaah
    :)
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Argh! I would die if my office blocked music sites. What about Youtube? Sometimes I'll make a playlist on there. Can you keep music on a USB drive and bring it to work each day?

I cannot live without music!!

So, yes. Start singing. Maybe others will join in?
  • mikituba
    mikituba Posts: 60
    Options
    Try Grooveshark! :) that's what I use and it's WAY better you can actually pick your songs rather than just the artists. Then pick a few songs and in the bottom right hand corner switch radio on and it will run just like pandora :)
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Why not just get a thumb drive or an MP3 or iPod & hook up to your computer speakers?
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I pipe mine in from my iPhone. I could not work without music either!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm not allowed to listen to music at work either :( Safety policy. I wish they knew that if I were allowed to have an iPod, I would work SO much more efficiently! Music makes me upbeat!
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why would listening to music not be allowed?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Oh no, every day would feel like 10 without music at work! X
  • kristen49233
    Options
    Can you bring in a little radio? There is no way I could work in silence.

I get absolutely no radio reception in our building. They must have built it out of steel or something!
    Try Grooveshark! :) that's what I use and it's WAY better you can actually pick your songs rather than just the artists. Then pick a few songs and in the bottom right hand corner switch radio on and it will run just like pandora :)

Thanks for the suggestion...just tried it and also blocked. No access to any music websites.
    Out of curiosity, why would listening to music not be allowed?

I have no idea. I am told that they banned music websites in our plant a couple of years ago because people make more mistakes when listening to music.

I'm going to have to bring in some CD's or something to take the edge off!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    We are allowed music in the control cabs only; anywhere else, it's a safety issue because you wouldn't be able to hear mobile equipment, machinery, alarms, or pages.
  • kristen49233
    Options
    We are allowed music in the control cabs only; anywhere else, it's a safety issue because you wouldn't be able to hear mobile equipment, machinery, alarms, or pages.

I can understand safety issues. I should have added that I work in an office building so no safety issues really. I always kept the music really low and I muted it when answering the phone or if someone came into my office. Maybe there were others that weren't so considerate.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stream music, just take an mp3 player or iPod or something like that. They can only block Internet access, they can't block your iPod. Personally though, music is very distracting at work for me. I can't think anything through very well. Also, it's annoying because everyone has headphones in their ears, and you feel like you are intruding when you need to talk to them. Also, I know for a fact that when some people are listening to music, they won't pick up their phone when it rings. So, i tend to not be in favor of it for where I work, but I'm not the CEO, so it's not my call.
  • kristen49233
    Options
    You don't have to stream music, just take an mp3 player or iPod or something like that. They can only block Internet access, they can't block your iPod. Personally though, music is very distracting at work for me. I can't think anything through very well. Also, it's annoying because everyone has headphones in their ears, and you feel like you are intruding when you need to talk to them. Also, I know for a fact that when some people are listening to music, they won't pick up their phone when it rings. So, i tend to not be in favor of it for where I work, but I'm not the CEO, so it's not my call.

I've been contemplating getting a new iPod for my workouts, so this is the perfect excuse to get another one--II can bring my old one to work. Does the iPod work though Windows Media or something? I know when I plug it in at home it opens up and plays through iTunes, which I'm sure I can't get here either. I don't want to listen to them on headphones...just through my speakers. I've never had anyone complain about my music because I am very considerate--keeping it very low and muting it when needed. But....I'm sure there are others who aren't so considerate.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    We are not supposed to stream music through our work computers, either. It eats up an enormous amount of bandwidth. When they put that rule in place, I purchased a desktop radio. It also plays CDs, though I can get a good signal and listen to the radio all day long instead of CDs.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I run Pandora through my Android phone. I just always make sure to bring my phone charger and earbuds.
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Not to brag, but...
    They pump white noise everywhere in our building except our little area... One day my boss (a Senior VP) comes out and says "It's too quiet in here!" She came over and showed me (as I was claiming ignorance) how to set up a pandora playlist and told me whenever she's in her office she has music streaming constantly.

woot.
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of websites blocked in my office too. I discovered SoundCloud and so far it hasn't been blocked. It's difficult at times to find what i'm looking for, but once I find it I add to my favorites and now I've got a little playlist going. :) Good luck!
  • Leahnh
    Leahnh Posts: 30
    Options
    They don't let us stream music at work either because it takes up to much bandwidth and if everyone did it would slow our systems down. Radios don't work in our buildings either. I bring my ipod and put one ear bud in and leave the other out to hear co-workers and the phone ringing or I plug my computer speakers right into my ipod and listen to it that way.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I stream Pandora at work through my phone. For some reason, when I use my phone, there's a glitch to where I get zero advertisements, as opposed to on the computer where I get ads every couple of songs. It works just as well if you're able to do that!