I'm so broke right now

Options
megmay2591
megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
Today I realized just how little money I have left in my account and it is not good. Accounting for this months rent, and next months rent I'll only have $260 left. I also have to pay $120 for taxes. So that leaves me with $140 left to try to buy groceries and necessities.

Taxes are due in two weeks and rent again in four weeks, so I have that much time to get a job. Otherwise I'll have to borrow money from someone in my family. :frown: . I'm doing a hardcore job search tomorrow, and turning in apps on Tuesday.

Replies

• Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling cash wise at the moment as well, am counting down the days until I am out of my current house, as the last payment for that is also the last payment on my laptop that I purchased.

It is so frustrating and gets you so down as you feel like you can't keep your head above water. I know I'm in a different country but if you need any help with Job Apps etc let me know, I write a damn good cover letter lol!

Good Luck x
  • megmay2591
    Options
    Thank you! I'm not totally lost because worst case I'd have to ask my parents or an aunt or uncle for money. I just feel weird doing it....
  • lulu9663
    lulu9663 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Go to the library. Seriously. Alot of libraries have free interview technique and resume classes. You can also pick up Dave Ramsey's book, Total Money Makeover. Dave Ramsey has excellent advice for saving money. I don't know if this applies to your area, but my library has a table with stacks and stacks of coupons, free for the taking. Also, our grocery store (Kroger), puts coupons up on their website and you load them right on to your customer card. Not sure if any of that helps, but hopefully it'll spark an idea or two.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    Go to the library. Seriously. Alot of libraries have free interview technique and resume classes. You can also pick up Dave Ramsey's book, Total Money Makeover. Dave Ramsey has excellent advice for saving money. I don't know if this applies to your area, but my library has a table with stacks and stacks of coupons, free for the taking. Also, our grocery store (Kroger), puts coupons up on their website and you load them right on to your customer card. Not sure if any of that helps, but hopefully it'll spark an idea or two.

I'm not sure if my library has coupons, but I could find some online and my local grocery store has weekly deals in the paper. I'm just going to have to buy whatever is cheap!
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    I live off 80 dollars a week here in australia, i'm broke as hell as well =]
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

^ :drinker: ^ Agreed! Dave is really awesome. Basic knowledge but it's knowledge that most people don't apply. He says the key to working with your money is 90% behavior & 10% financial knowledge. Check out his website for free budgeting tools.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Great book advice, much appreciated, gonna hit the library for it today!

I think we all struggle to some degree, I definitely have to watch what I spend and put aside money for my 'wants', but as everyone else it's the needs that take presence.:ohwell:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. After all my bills and such, there's a grand total of $98.00 dollars remaining per cheque (bi-weekly) so I'm on the hunt for a part time job on top of my current full time one. Good luck, stay positive and keep looking.
  • onebookwonder
    onebookwonder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's soooooooo comforting to know I'm not the only one with these issues. I'm reading the book The Secret. I'm convinced a positive disposition HAS TO change things around for me regarding health, wealth, and just having peace of mind. :)
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your "necessities" are but $140 is more than I spend for a family of 4 for the week and that includes a teenage and preteen boys. When I was a 21yo college student I could feed myself for the week on about $10. Rice, ramen, tuna, etc. I once went several weeks where I had a waffle for breakfast, homemade fried rice (rice, egg, soy sauce, frozen veggies) for lunch, and a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    $140 can definitely go a long way, but I feed my boyfriend and myself, plus I have absolutely no income right now.

But, I have a job interview tomorrow!!! Really hoping it goes well, I need a job!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought of trying one of the direct sales opportunities? It can be a very quick "side job" for some cash while you continue searching!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    None of you are gonna like this reply..but these are all things that I have done. And VERY LUCKILY I have worked myself out of the no money situation by doing some of these things :-) )if not all of them

Take a lodger.
    Advertise your self as a cleaner/gardener/home help/child minder/go to a shop/office and offer to work for a week for no money and if they keep you on say you will work for one day a week for pay if they just give you a try out and are happy with your enthusiasm

Knock on doors people are always happy if they can have a little cheap help. Don`t ask for too much money for the service you offer.
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    It can be rough out there as you well know.I've I had my share of bad times thats for sure.Thank God things with me now are very good money and health wise.Keep your head high and be positive about your decisions and always remember God will take care of you if you let him.Keep your head up because you will make it:)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I've been having a rough time lately myself. Really worried about future finances for next year as I'll be moving from an affordable place to (supposedly) the most expensive city to rent in the world (i'll be renting...)

Luckily my boyfriend has been paying for a lot of stuff for me but am also going to try and find a job ;_; maybe try cooking cheap meals. don't go out too much.

good luck to everyone!
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your "necessities" are but $140 is more than I spend for a family of 4 for the week and that includes a teenage and preteen boys. When I was a 21yo college student I could feed myself for the week on about $10. Rice, ramen, tuna, etc. I once went several weeks where I had a waffle for breakfast, homemade fried rice (rice, egg, soy sauce, frozen veggies) for lunch, and a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner.

AMEN!!!!! me too! I feed a family of 4 plus two dogs and two cats for that! When I was in college I lived on pasta, ramen noodles and grilled cheese.

It's ALL in the planning. You CAN eat healthy for cheap. Find out any farmers markets in your town for cheap produce, and STAY AWAY from pre-packaged convenience foods....
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

AMEN!!!!! me too! I feed a family of 4 plus two dogs and two cats for that! When I was in college I lived on pasta, ramen noodles and grilled cheese.

It's ALL in the planning. You CAN eat healthy for cheap. Find out any farmers markets in your town for cheap produce, and STAY AWAY from pre-packaged convenience foods....

I completely agree that it is possible to eat healthily and cheaply, but prices do vary vastly depending on location. For instance, my rent this year is 4 times cheaper than the cheapest place I could find in the city I lived in last year. Next year when I move again, it might be twice as much as my "expensive" rent before. Food prices also vary greatly. Where I am from, Farmer's Markets cost 3x as much as at the supermarket. The supermarket costs twice as much as in some other states etc.
  • wpuymac
    wpuymac Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been there and I can say that there is hope. There are a couple things that really helped me. One was that I had to realize I didn't truly need everything I thought I needed.

Another thing is that I started to track my money properly using a budget. Check out this software by clicking this link.

http://secure.youneedabudget.com/aff/E19786A6463591013590D08CD3051400/index.html

They explain how it works and why it is successful and they have helped a lot of people.

I'm sorry that right now things are difficult, but I can tell you it can get better, but maybe not (seemingly) quickly.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    We've started tracking everything we spend in a spreadsheet. It really helped us reign in spending.

JM
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I completely agree that it is possible to eat healthily and cheaply, but prices do vary vastly depending on location. For instance, my rent this year is 4 times cheaper than the cheapest place I could find in the city I lived in last year. Next year when I move again, it might be twice as much as my "expensive" rent before. Food prices also vary greatly. Where I am from, Farmer's Markets cost 3x as much as at the supermarket. The supermarket costs twice as much as in some other states etc.

Expensive here too..I live in the suburbs of NYC, where EVERYTHING is more money...but for some farmers markets, the local produce can be cheaper, but like you said, it all depends. Gotta hunt for the bargains, clip coupons and what I've found helps too, is being accountable for your spending. Like the OP, I have a budget spreadsheet. It helps me see it in black and white.

But, on the other hand...I've been homeless before, living in my car, working two jobs, and just worked hard to afford renting an apartment on my own, struggling to pay for groceries AND rent was always a challenge.

The best advice I can offer is to KEEP ON TRUCKIN and know things WILL get better.