Margin of error in the BMF? How much?

Options
Hey all,
Those of you with a Body Media Fit monitor, how much of a margin of error do you give it for your calorie totals, if any?
Just curious.

Replies

• Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am curious too, especially for the first few weeks which several users say tends to be high. I wonder if being aware of having a tracking device makes people subconsciously be more active until they get used to it.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yeah but is it 10 percent over or under? They don't really say.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    it can be 10% in EITHER direction. Its just 90% accurate by their studies. Other people have done much smaller scale averages (like trainers with clients) and find it CAN be as high as 25% in EITHER direction but 10-15% seems to be the norm.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing mine for a couple of years now & based on my losses my guess is that it overstates my burn by about 200 calories a day.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Like stubby my losses and numbers go with about a 7% over estimate for me...so anywhere from 150-200 calories a day. When you're working with a super small deficit it's nice to figure this out. I've been leaving a 1500 calorie weekly deficit for maintenance....I don't know how that's going since I haven't bought a new scale...haha!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll adjust mine accordingly.