Women cutting body fat!

Options
I want to know your tips, tricks, & secrets to cutting down your body fat percentage! What works for you? What hinders progress? Do you take any supplements? What do your workout routines look like? Any and all advice is welcome!

My stats:
Current Body fat: 23.1%
Goal Body Fat: 17-20%
Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130-135
Height: 5'6''

I am currently training for my first triathlon in June, so my workout routine consists of a combination of running, biking, swimming, strength training, circuit routines, and core work. Basically, a little bit of everything! Check out my diary if you wanna know more about my daily eating habits, but I'm more interested in the fitness part. Thanks for all the help!!

Replies

• swood0114
    swood0114 Posts: 43
    Options
    Bump!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump! your stats are pretty much the same as mine!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Not the same stats, but same general idea!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Your stats are similar-ish to mine, I'm:

5'8
    Weight: 147
    Goal weight: 135
    Bodyfat %: Not sure, but I was 22% at 150lbs.
    Goal bodyfat: Enough to see abs and other definition (15-18%)

What works for me:

Food: A small calorie deficit, eating what I like as long as it fits my macros (40%carbs, 30%fat and protein) and I get enough fibre, fruit, veges etc.

Exercise: 4x a week heavy lifting, upper/lower split. Compound exercises such as squat, deadlift and bench, along with other isolation exercise as well.

Supplements: 1 whey protein shake a day (ON Gold Standard 100% Whey)

What hinders progress: Not staying around my calorie goal (going lots over), alcohol (I drink, but it's not often), and not training.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I want to know your tips, tricks, & secrets to cutting down your body fat percentage! What works for you? What hinders progress? Do you take any supplements? What do your workout routines look like? Any and all advice is welcome!

My stats:

I am currently training for my first triathlon in June, so my workout routine consists of a combination of running, biking, swimming, strength training, circuit routines, and core work. Basically, a little bit of everything! Check out my diary if you wanna know more about my daily eating habits, but I'm more interested in the fitness part. Thanks for all the help!!

You eat A LOT of sugar! I would start by cutting that down SUBSTANTIALLY!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm all for hitting <20%
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too since I'm going to start strength training and want to cut body fat!!!
  • rachelpitkin10
    rachelpitkin10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert but looking at your food diary, I would try to cut back the sodium a little more and increase your protein. I have been advised by a trainer to get 1 protein per pound of my body weight.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Hey there ladies

Some Tips on how i cut fat, that you can do as well.

1. Crank up the HIIT: so that includes sprinting instead of jogging/running, and circuit training
    2. Eat a calorie deficit (obviously haha) I would say around 1200-1500 calories, or whatever that you think is best for you
    3. High Protein, Moderate Fat and Low Carb. Here's my day today, which is a good example of this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/akiramezu?date=2012-04-02
    4. Keep it simple with your diet, lean meats, eggs for protein, vegetables/fruit for carbs and olive oil for fats
    5. HEAPS OF HOT SPICES (cayenne pepper, black pepper, chili etc) it can ASSIST in fat loss by increasing your bodies temperature
    6. CAFFEINE: no, not energy drinks and coffee with milk/cream. BLACK COFFEE or caffeine pills. 200-400mg dosage, it increases lipolysis (release of fatty tissue into the blood stream for energy use). Remember to CYCLE it, as you can build a tolerance for caffeine
    7. SLEEP: a good 8 - 10 hours, this is when your body builds its muscles. MORE MUSCLE = MORE CALORIES REQUIRED FOR YOUR BODY TO SUSTAIN ITSELF
    8. OMEGA-3: take a fish oil supplement, you need fat to burn fat.

GOODLUCK AND HAVE FUN =D
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hey there ladies

Some Tips on how i cut fat, that you can do as well.

1. Crank up the HIIT: so that includes sprinting instead of jogging/running, and circuit training
    2. Eat a calorie deficit (obviously haha) I would say around 1200-1500 calories, or whatever that you think is best for you
    3. High Carb, Moderate Fat and Low Carb. Here's my day today, which is a good example of this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/akiramezu
    4. Keep it simple with your diet, lean meats, eggs for protein, vegetables/fruit for carbs and olive oil for fats
    5. HEAPS OF HOT SPICES (cayenne pepper, black pepper, chili etc) it can ASSIST in fat loss by increasing your bodies temperature
    6. CAFFEINE: no, not energy drinks and coffee with milk/cream. BLACK COFFEE or caffeine pills. 200-400mg dosage, it increases lipolysis (release of fatty tissue into the blood stream for energy use). Remember to CYCLE it, as you can build a tolerance for caffeine
    7. SLEEP: a good 8 - 10 hours, this is when your body builds its muscles. MORE MUSCLE = MORE CALORIES REQUIRED FOR YOUR BODY TO SUSTAIN ITSELF
    8. OMEGA-3: take a fish oil supplement, you need fat to burn fat.

GOODLUCK AND HAVE FUN =D

Thank you! and YAY for spiciness!!!!! :D
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    I GOT SOME MORE!

3. EDIT: i meant HIGH PROTEIN, Moderate Fat and Low CARB WHOOPS =D

9. IF YOU ARE DOING LOW CARB (3-4 days)! Have a day or two where your RELOAD your carbs, body builders in particular when cutting body fat, have a strict low carb diet, but will have a day or two where they will intake carbs. This fills your muscles with the much needed glycogen for us to be able to use our muscles to work out
    10. GREEN TEA - if your sick of water, have some green tea, heaps of research on green tea and its fat loss properties!
    11. High emphasis on COMPOUND lifts (Bench press, squat, dead lift)
    12. High emphasis on ALL BODY EXERCISES such as pushups, air squats, pullups/chinups, burpees, box jumps, skipping
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Bump....
    I need to lower bf% too. I am not loving the bulky look my arms are getting with the strength training :frown:
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options

My stats:

You eat A LOT of sugar! I would start by cutting that down SUBSTANTIALLY!

I just looked at a few days of her diary and I guess I don't see what you consider A LOT of sugar. Looks like to me most of her sugars come from fuits which isn't bad. She's not overdoing it on her fruits either. Her diary looks really good to me.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    If the goal is to cut fat, sugar needs to be reduced as much as possible, that includes fruit, skim milk, sugary yogurt, etc. For fat loss, fruit should be limited only to pre and post workout. Just my opinion, take it for what you want.
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    AngieMurgo is right. 20g of sugar from candy is the same as 20g of sugar from fruit. Sugar is sugar...
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on caffeine and lipolysis. I had read that the Biggest loser contestants occasionally took caffeine pills. If anyone is curious, it's worth a Google search.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me

Intermittent fasting ( lean gains and warrior diet)
    Eating clean
    Strenght or resistance training 3- 5 times a week