Insanity Month 2 Week 1 + TOM= Up 8 Pounds!

Options
I started month 2 of insanity this week and since Monday have went up 8 pounds! I am also experiencing the most dreaded time of the month! I am so frustrated! I know its only water for the most part. I have done well staying within my calorie range and have burned tons of calories working out! At the beginning of the week I was so sore which I have read can also cause water retention due to your muscles trying to recover. More than anything just wanted to vent and see if anyone else had a similar experience and how long it ook to get back to normal. Insanity has really kicked my butt this week, some of the moves are so hard, I know it will get easier, but I kinda feel like a fish out of water on some of them!

Replies

• midkiffsteph
    Options
    Girl that is FRUSTRATING! I don't have any answers but I totally sympathize! I am curious to know what other people say. And none of this "building muscle" crap. When I did P90X I found that I gained weight and got bigger too and it was sooo frustrating and I felt like all my hard work was for nothing. Good luck, stick with it, it sounds like you're doign all the right things! ~Stephanie
  • lauracouncil
    Options
    It sounds like u may be gaining muscle mass...Insanity is alot of strength training and if your looking to lose weight I would'nt recommend Insanity until you have lost the weight you wanted and are ready to tone it up..Your body will turn the fat to muscle and you will end up looking bulkier than you expected...Best thing i would suggest is stick to cardiovascular exercises running, walking, jumping jacks, biking, eliptical, or dancing even...slim down then tone up thats the ideal strategy to stick to :-) Hope this helps!
  • lizpfennig
    lizpfennig Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm sorry, that sucks! I'm not familiar with "Insanity" but when I first started my bootcamp, the inches were dropping, but the pounds were staying relatively the same so I can completely relate. Only other thing I can think is to keep an eye on your sodium levels. I found that my sodium was 2 and 3 times what the daily allotment should be and that makes you retain water as well. Keep it up, you'll find that you'll have weeks where you lose a little, weeks where you gain and weeks where you lose BIG!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It sounds like u may be gaining muscle mass...Insanity is alot of strength training and if your looking to lose weight I would'nt recommend Insanity until you have lost the weight you wanted and are ready to tone it up..Your body will turn the fat to muscle and you will end up looking bulkier than you expected...Best thing i would suggest is stick to cardiovascular exercises running, walking, jumping jacks, biking, eliptical, or dancing even...slim down then tone up thats the ideal strategy to stick to :-) Hope this helps!

I'm going ot have to disagree. I defy you to show me 1 female that has gotten bulky by doing Insanity. By bulky I mean adding muscle mass, not losing fat so that her toned muscle are more noticeable. Women have an extremely difficult time gaining muscle even when they try. They just lack the chemistry to do it. To suggest she's going to add muscle while on a calorie restiricted diet while doing a intense cardio program is not reasonable.

Tim
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Your muscles retain water when they are recuperating, and as someone with 3 days left of Insanity, your muscles are definitely trying to repair lol. Add that with tom and I'd say it's just all water gain. Don't worry about it, just up your water intake and I bet by your recovery day it'll all be off.
  • amberfranklin1
    amberfranklin1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am confident that it will go back down soon! I HAD pretty much lost all the weight I wanted to, last Friday I weighed 122 and today 130! I do agree with the sodium part, as much as I try, some days I just cant help but to go over. I will continue with Insanity for the next 3 weeks and love the way my body has tranformed! Once my time of the month has passed, I think that things will also go back to normal, its just frustrating to work so hard and once a month have something we have no control of get us down!
  • jmm27
    jmm27 Posts: 34
    Options
    OMG I am so relieved that someone else went through what Im going through right now. I am starting month 2 of Insanity today. I just finished the recovery week Saturday. Ive been doing all the "right" things, eating 1200 calories +what calories I burn during my workouts. Ive been logging them in my fit pal (I must admit I just started doing this regularly- it helps so much). I am not seeing the scale move at all! Im so frustrated!! I feel like all my hard work is for nothing!! I feel like I see a difference and notice myself being more toned but who knows that could just be all in my head. I am just about to be done with my lovely time of the month so Im hoping to see a big difference next week. What ended up happening with your results?
  • sscott79
    sscott79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    From what I heard you don't see the real weight loss with Insanity until month 2. I have done month 1 and I had the same issues with the scale. It wasn't budging and slowly creeped up. I gave up the first time I did it out of frustration and the second time I did it I gave up on month 2 because I found out I was pregnant so I don't have any fact to base that on. Good luck, keep measuring and enjoy you're toned body!
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've completed the first month of Insanity, so I have a little bit of experience with the program.

The first two weeks I did not lose much weight, maybe a pound. However, I did lose a few inches around my waist. I definitely recommend taking some measurements and then compare them again weekly just to see what your body is doing.

Water retention is common when you first start an intense program like Insanity. The soreness should lessen soon, especially if you're getting the right nutrients.
  • jmm27
    jmm27 Posts: 34
    Options
    Another question, did you all get your Insanity shirt? I borrowed insanity from a friend. I am just a few weeks shy of finishing and I'm already dreaming of when I can wear that shirt with pride. :) BUT my friend bought insanity like 2 years ago and he doesn't have any proof of purchase :/. Is there something I can do? I really want to wear that shirt cause I have definitely earned it.