Interval Training

Options
btm03
btm03 Posts: 38 Member
I have been doing intervals on my treadmill. Generally running at 6 mph and walking at 4 mph. There is no way to log interval training in the exercise section, as far as I can see. So I average it out and say I jogged at 5 mph, just so I can put something in the database. Does anyone else know how to do this or am I missing something?

Also, my treadmill says I burn about 1200 calories during my 25 minutes, but according to the exercise section it's says I've burned about 150 calories. Are treadmills generally that far off?

Thanks in advance for all answers!

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are NOT burning 1200 calories. That treadmill is whack.

When I do interval training, I add up what I'm doing at each speed and enter it seperately.

I jog for 8 minutes at 6.5
    Run for 45 seconds at 10.0
    Jog for a minute at 5
    (repeat the last 2 lines 3 more times)

So I log it like:

8 minutes at 6.5
    4 minutes at 5
    3 minutes at 10
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Can I borrow your treadmill? :)
    LOL

Yea, you aren't burning 1200 calories in 25 minutes. And no, they aren't usually THAT off.

If you are counting on MFP, I would break it down like the other person said. I don't do that, I just average it, but it's not critical to me that I get my calories burned exactly correct.
  • btm03
    btm03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers so far. I actually averaged it out today to 5 mph jog, but I do like the other idea too, it just makes it a little harder. I'm not surprised my treadmill is crazy...I did buy it at Walmart. You think they would have it calibrated somewhat correctly though.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yeah deffinately not 1200 calories lol i did a 86 minutes run yesterday and only burnt 1400 calories and im still quite a big guy.

Adding more than 1 exercise into your diary is ok, like it was said above add each sections seperately:

walk @ 4.0 for 12 minutes
    run @ 6.0 for 12 minutes
    etc.
  • sscott79
    sscott79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of interval training and I just log the time and an average mph for the duration.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor to more accurately track your progress (cals burned) and then you can log it as your own exercise under interval treadmill or something.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have been doing intervals on my treadmill. Generally running at 6 mph and walking at 4 mph. There is no way to log interval training in the exercise section, as far as I can see. So I average it out and say I jogged at 5 mph, just so I can put something in the database. Does anyone else know how to do this or am I missing something?

Also, my treadmill says I burn about 1200 calories during my 25 minutes, but according to the exercise section it's says I've burned about 150 calories. Are treadmills generally that far off?

Thanks in advance for all answers!

Create your own exercise, entitle it something like "Treadmill: interval training" input the amount of minutes you were on there and input the calories. I would say those calories were way off, to burn 1200 calories is something a half-marathon runner would use up in two hours. Unless you are very overweight and unfit, it is virtually impossible to burn such a huge amount.

If you do not have an HRM, as a rough guide, one mile = 100 calories - this is a rough guide though, but it is much more accurate and yes, machine calorie burns can be way-off.

You are more than likely burning between 250-300 for that 25 minutes.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM and log it as such. I would definitely not go by the machine. I generally burn between 350-450 in a 30 mins session on the bike or Elliptical.
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Before I got a HRM I logged how many minutes I did at each speed. Like the second commenter said after the OP. But I like my HRM much better!!! :)
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Treadmill
    +
    Walmart
    =
    Bad Idea.... :)

Just kidding. Run for your life on it, just don't count on the stats to be accurate. That's crazy whack.