Up my calories? To What?

Options
Hello all! I seem to be on somewhat of a plateau for the past couple of weeks, so I'm wondering if I should up my calories? And if I do, what do I up them to? Here are some stats:

CW: 199 (sometimes up to 202 depending on the day)
Current calorie goal: 1350
Exercise: work out at least 30 minutes per day....usually walking or stationary bike but just started 30DS yesterday

Yes I eat all of my exercise calories!

Just looking for a bit of movement (in the good direction!) on the scale! Thanks all!

Replies

• KMA220
    KMA220 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR and eat atleast that (that doesn't include any exersize calories). I upped mine to my BMR last week and lost 2 lbs. I was eating 1200 calories before that and seeing a minimal loss. I'm very happy with my new calories goal. It's definitely more sustainable!
  • KMA220
    KMA220 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
  • tundralover
    Options
    Not sure I am following you...why would you up your calories? I would up my exercise or reduce the calories. :ohwell:
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    Calculate your BMR and eat atleast that (that doesn't include any exersize calories). I upped mine to my BMR last week and lost 2 lbs. I was eating 1200 calories before that and seeing a minimal loss. I'm very happy with my new calories goal. It's definitely more sustainable!

THIS!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Not sure I am following you...why would you up your calories? I would up my exercise or reduce the calories. :ohwell:

Because her calories now is 1350, and at her size, she needs more than that just to fuel basic bodily functions, nevermind to fuel the amount she needs for daily activities and working out. Initially you lose weight eating below what your body needs but then it starts conserving everything. It's a survival mechanism.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

Because her calories now is 1350, and at her size, she needs more than that just to fuel basic bodily functions, nevermind to fuel the amount she needs for daily activities and working out. Initially you lose weight eating below what your body needs but then it starts conserving everything. It's a survival mechanism.
    Hard to tell whats actually going on without seeing her food diary and without that information your just making assumptions.
  • Hayter2013
    Options

Ah I wondered what that was for... Thanks for that, gonna do mine!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jeremy_c
    jeremy_c Posts: 21
    Options

I don't understand that statement. If she is not eating enough to even fuel her basic bodily functions, then what is left over that can be conserved/stored?

Jeremy
  • Hayter2013
    Options

Ah I wondered what that was for... Thanks for that, gonna do mine!

I've still gone over though!! :laugh:

Oh well I hope my 30ds will help with that later!
  • deksgrl
    Options

Hard to tell whats actually going on without seeing her food diary and without that information your just making assumptions.

That's true, but it is a logical assumption since she said she is around 199 - 202 pounds, that 1350 calories is below her BMR. The person I was replying to was suggesting that she cut more calories, and I was providing one reason she might not want to do that.
  • deksgrl
    Options

I don't understand that statement. If she is not eating enough to even fuel her basic bodily functions, then what is left over that can be conserved/stored?

Jeremy

If you do this long term, your metabolism changes so it runs farther on less and will not lose weight.
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    you have to caluclate your BMR first and the eat half of your exercise calories back. also you may want to keep track of your measurements cause the scale isnt going to tell you everything.
    We are about the same size and my BMR is 1650, i usually get 700-800 exercise calories and with eating back i average around 1800 calories.
    i felt like passing out when i did 1200 calories, i dropped it cause of how much weight i lost at 1600. thinking it would accelrate but instead i gained 3 inches on my waist from my body storing everything.
  • jeremy_c
    jeremy_c Posts: 21
    Options
    If you do this long term, your metabolism changes so it runs farther on less and will not lose weight.

Why does MFP then create these calorie goals if they do not work? I am asking for myself really, but same problem as the original poster. I did great the first 4 weeks, but the last 2 weeks I've been up/down (~1.5lb) not really loosing anything. MFP says I should eat 1,200 calories. I usually burn about 400 calories in exercise a day and eat pretty much to the calorie limit each day including my exercise calories, so I'm taking in ~1,600 calories a day average. My BMR is 1,740. So, 1,740 + 400 exercise = 2,140 average. I've went over my calorie budget two or three times in 6 weeks, but only by 50-70 calories.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options

^^^THIS. Go to the TOOLS tab up above and use the BMR calculator. Eat at least that amount PLUS your exercise calories!! DID I MENTION TO MAKE SURE YOU EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES????
  • leap314
    leap314 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ok, so on my home page it says for me to eat 1200 calories daily. Then with the bmr tool, it says 1374 calories. Why doesn't it put that number on my home page? Then do I want to eat all my exercise calories or half? I want to lose 1-2lbs a week for a total of a 15lb loss. Thx!
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and I weigh 199 also. I just upped my calories to between 1600-1700 a day. I will eat back some exercise calories but I don't let my net drop below 1400-1500. To maintain MFP says I need 2070 so anything under that is creating a deficit. I lose a little over 1 pound a week. Good luck. Friend me if your would like I like to have ppl in a similar situation!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Ok, so on my home page it says for me to eat 1200 calories daily. Then with the bmr tool, it says 1374 calories. Why doesn't it put that number on my home page? Then do I want to eat all my exercise calories or half? I want to lose 1-2lbs a week for a total of a 15lb loss. Thx!
    If you only have 15lbs to lose, losing 1-2 per week is not realistic.... MFP only does what you tell it to do - you gave it an unrealistic goal loss per week, and it gave you a very low calorie intake...You have to change your settings and accept the fact that losing that musc so quickly will not work in the long term....
    Lower your loss to .5-1lbs per week - much more practical...
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Why does MFP then create these calorie goals if they do not work? I am asking for myself really, but same problem as the original poster. I did great the first 4 weeks, but the last 2 weeks I've been up/down (~1.5lb) not really loosing anything. MFP says I should eat 1,200 calories. I usually burn about 400 calories in exercise a day and eat pretty much to the calorie limit each day including my exercise calories, so I'm taking in ~1,600 calories a day average. My BMR is 1,740. So, 1,740 + 400 exercise = 2,140 average. I've went over my calorie budget two or three times in 6 weeks, but only by 50-70 calories.

I love MFP for it's tracking ability, and the forums, but in terms of it's calorie allowance it is just a calculator, not a nutrition expert and will just deduct 250, 500, 750 etc depending on what people tell it ar etheir goals.

For instance, you are a male, and according to most health experts 1500 calories is the minimum daily requirements for a male, but MFP has allowed you to select 1200.

If you work out your TDEE and deduct 15-20% you will lose weight.
    I love numbers and for me I believe using the % defict is a better way than just deducting the 500 calories. 500 calories from someone with a low TDEE can be too aggressive whereas for someone with a high TDEE 500 calories may be too little.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Because on MFP where it asks how many pounds per week do you want to lose, that will over-ride the BMR and set you below it. 1,200 is the minimum recommended amount for a woman to eat per day and MFP will not set a number below this.

To lose 1 pound a week, you need to have a calorie deficit of 3,500 cals/week. To lose 2 pounds a week, you need a calorie deficit of 7,000 cals/week.

Figure out your TDEE (your BMR plus the energy you need for activity). Then eat up to 20% less than that per day.