Working out just before bed.

Options
ebony__
ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
Is it ok to work out just before you go to bed? Pros and cons??

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm better hydrated in the evening than first thing in the morning but I get an energy boost after for a few hours. I don't thinki I would do well RIGHT before bed, I'm usually about 4-5 hours before and that seems just right for me.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    One night I went on a pretty long walk with my hubby, and an hour later we were going to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night with my legs freaking out on me. Almost like restless leg syndrome or something. It felt like they wanted to keep walking!! Not sure if it's a good thing, because another factor for being healthy is getting plenty of good sleep, and when you're waking up frequently because your body is doing weird things, you don't get adequate sleep. Just my thoughts. Good luck!!!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    When I work out at night I try to do it a few hours before bed. So my body can rest & I still can get a good night sleep. If the only available time I have is too close to bed I will do something relaxing like yoga or pilates.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I really can't work out before bed time. I'm hyped up for a good 2 hours after working out, I would never be able to get too sleep.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Not good for me, I cannot sleep if I do that.. I found that working out in the morning or at least six hours before bed works out better for me..
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I work out most evenings around 7...in bed by 9:30 it's doesn't seem to bother me. I've even had night where I haven't gotten around to working out until 9:30 (last night for example). Went right to bed afterwards:) You have to do it when you have the chance!
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have friends that insist that a good workout and then a shower helps them get to sleep at night. That is totally NOT true for me! If I workout in the evening, it has to be at least 5 hours prior to going to sleep.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I get hyped up from it... so it's harder to fall asleep.

That being said, performance-wise I do better if it's later in the day (I'm not a morning person).
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings after work and am usually to the point of exhaustion, so I could probably do it right before bed and sleep like a rock. If it works for you, that is what matters.
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    I do it, then sleep, then wake up and find I lose 0.5 pounds. It's a nice feeling. But I also wake up and do 30 mins of it too. I don't think it really changes me but I had insomnia so this helps me sleep when I'm tired.
  • jessabethheather
    Options
    It just depends on your normal circadian rhythm. If you sleep easily, I.e. your head hits the pillow and you are out within minutes, getting your heartrate up before bed should not be an issue. However, if you have any sleep disturbance issues, getting your heartrate up can really interrupt not only the ability to fall asleep but how easily you fall into the deep sleeping cycles as well.
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    I always do it!! Mainly beacause that's the only time when I have time to myself. It doesn't affect my sleeping but I suppose everyone is different. I don't think it has any negative affects on your body......But I'm no expert!
  • tsuki_ryuu
    tsuki_ryuu Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tend to do a yoga workout if I decide to do something before bed. It actually seems to help me sleep better because I'm so relaxed at the end of it.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have way too much energy after I have just had a good workout. Although, I do tend to go to the gym in the evenings as its the most convienient time for me to go. I'd love to go in the mornings, have a shower and be ready for the day but I'm rubbish at getting up.

I have been better the last couple of months for getting up, I think the health kick has kick started that but I still don't think I could get up at 6 am and be out of the door for 6.10.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My kickboxing class is from 8-9pm 2 nights a week...I usually don't have a problem going to sleep...

I used to wait to eat until after I worked out but had issues with falling asleep - I switched that to eating my dinner at 5:30pm on those nights so my food has time to digest before I punch and kick....when I get home I will usually have some tea and frozen berries - I am usually up for an hour or two after my workout on those nights but no problem falling asleep
  • DRBuchholz
    DRBuchholz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to find the best time to work out as I have had trouble getting out of bed to work out lately. Problem is, by 8 pm, when I could work out, I'm too tired to even think about it. I do think that it's better to exercise right before bed than not at all. I hope you figure out what works for you.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I pretty much exclusively work out at night. Sometimes, not done until 11:00 or so. No problems going to sleep or anything. Sometimes, I don't get to bed until later 'cause I need to cool down a bit, that's all. Also, something really intense making me drink lots of water = lots of bathroom trips in the middle of the night (which isn't a problem because my DD doesn't let me sleep at night anyway).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    All I can suggest is try it and see what happens.

It's never been a problem for me - my tri class finishes at 10:00PM on Mondays - get home, quick shower & lights out.

My wife, on the other hand, has started skipping her later evening soccer games because she gets wound up and can't get to sleep until after midnight if her game ends at 10.