female motorcycle riders?

Options
booyainyoface
booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
Any female motorcycle riders out there? i just got my license on Friday and am looking into buying a bike. I really want a Royal Enfield C5 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/ a 500cc bike with a 1955 style BSA body (400 lbs filled) but am wondering if I should get something like a Honda Rebel to learn on- 250cc 350 lbs.

My friends don't ride so they have no information to offer me... Any fellow bikers out there have any input? im on a limited budget $6000 max, and am lucky to live in San Diego so gravel isn't a problem for me and dropping the bike! I am not one to get all crazy, so dropping the bike is something i realize might happen, but why buy the Starter bike only to outgrow it and sell it and buy my Enfield later?

Ha sorry this is kind of a brainstorm, but any input on RELIABLE affordable 500ccish bikes would be awesome!

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    This isn't at all what you asked for [and I'm not a female] but this:
    http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/classics/scrambler/2011/scrambler

Cheers.
    -wtk
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Kawasaki makes a Vulcan 500.

JM
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    ooh i love the triumphs, too bad they are a bit out of my price range... the life of a teacher isn't exactly balling... :)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I used to ride (boy do I miss it this time of year!)
    I would say don't waste your money on the Rebel; you'll very quickly wish you had something bigger. I've ridden a Rebel on the freeway before (riding it home for my cousin who wanted to learn on something small), and it scared me to death--I felt every little bump in the road and everytime a big truck passed, I felt like I was being blown over!
    Really, I think it has less to do with the engine size and more to do with the way the bike is built and whether or not it fits the way you are built. Of the bikes I've ridden, the Vulcan has been my personal favorite because they seemed to have a low center of gravity and were easy for me to balance (I'm medium height and build.) The handlebars were the perfect distance and width--I could drive on a whole tank of gas (about 300 miles) without having to stop to rest. My hubby could not--he had to lean forward slightly to reach his handlebars, they were wide, and he would need to stop and rest his back. I owned a 750cc Vulcan, but I could just as easily handle my Dad's 1500cc Vulcan.
    But that was about 10 years ago. I don't even know what all is out now. Sigh.
    Anyway, look around some. See if you can test drive a few. Get something you will be comfortable on.
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    damage has been done... the royal enfield will be mine this weekend. i sat down and fell in love! 1500ccs! yikes, i would be too scared to get the full power out of that engine!!
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    damage has been done... the royal enfield will be mine this weekend. i sat down and fell in love! 1500ccs! yikes, i would be too scared to get the full power out of that engine!!
    Post pics! :love:
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting your license. I haven't had my lisence too long so I don't know alot about bikes so I am not probably alot of help on advising you what kind to get. I have a Harley Sportster 1200 that my boyfriend gave me.
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    woo hoo!!
    530576_10150647851863227_503088226_9495983_27766410_n.jpg
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I was going to say not to waste your money on the smaller bike. My fiancé's first, and current bike, is a 1700cc custom chopper. I so want a Harley Nightster.
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    I was going to say not to waste your money on the smaller bike. My fiancé's first, and current bike, is a 1700cc custom chopper. I so want a Harley Nightster.

yikes thats big! i live on the beach and cruise coast highway 101... this bike should meet my needs for a few years :)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

yikes thats big! i live on the beach and cruise coast highway 101... this bike should meet my needs for a few years :)

For sure. You don't need to use all the power it's got until you get comfortable. But at least you have the option to do it when you want.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You are an ambitious lady to learn on a 500 cc bike. I learned on a DualSport Honda CRF 230L (I think that's right model number) last October. That is more of my street bike. I also have a two-stroke, Suzuki RM 125 for off-roading. My husband was a little worried about what I learned on. Even though my bike is smaller--he likes riding it because it is so easy to ride. If I were to buy a Sport Bike to ride, he said I should get a Ninja 250 to learn on. Do what works for you. If you get a big bike, go easy on the throttle.
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    You are an ambitious lady to learn on a 500 cc bike. I learned on a DualSport Honda CRF 230L (I think that's right model number) last October. That is more of my street bike. I also have a two-stroke, Suzuki RM 125 for off-roading. My husband was a little worried about what I learned on. Even though my bike is smaller--he likes riding it because it is so easy to ride. If I were to buy a Sport Bike to ride, he said I should get a Ninja 250 to learn on. Do what works for you. If you get a big bike, go easy on the throttle.

i already got the bike :) its nice, its got a 500 mile break in period where i can only go up to 40 which is nice... its awesome- very relaxed ride and comfortable to sit on cause its a cruiser style. i love it- now to find a motorcycle posse :)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Just buy something you're comfortable with (used) you can always upgrade next year. :smile:
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    woo hoo!!
    530576_10150647851863227_503088226_9495983_27766410_n.jpg

Sweet! :love:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I see you already got the bike, so congrats! I'll write this for anyone else reading this who wants to know.

I started on a Suzuki 250 because I didn't know what kind of bike I wanted longer term, and I wanted to get some miles and experience while I decided. So I rode the Suzuki for 3-4 months and then I got a Harley 883 Sportster. I talked to a lot of women about their bikes and their experiences. Many said don't get a sportster, but many like them. I found that the shorter women had a problem riding them but the taller women didn't. Some of the bigger bikes are a lot heavier, but they have a lower center of gravity, and lower seat so they are easier to handle for shorter women. Bikes can also be modified for shorter riders with different seats and lowering kits. Also, take into consideration what kind of riding you are going to do. Mostly short trips of a few hours here and there? Do you want to ride long distances where you are on the road all day covering lots of miles?

I highly recommend starting on a small inexpensive bike to gain road experience before deciding what to ride longer term. It is a big investment.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    yeah! go you!
    I had my permit and let it lapse. We have a Harley Sportster 1200 and my husband drives, i ride. However, he would like a bigger bike, and i'd love to make that Harley mine and get my license, but i think i need a smaller (less expensive!) bike to learn on.

You must be super excited!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the bike!!! The motor isn't crazy powerful, so take you time learning and you'll do just fine.

Enjoy that bike! I'm a teacher too, and commute almost every day on my bike!

JM
  • AbacoRaveness
    Options
    I think it depends on the rider. I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class at the same time as my neighbor. We took our tests on Honda Nighthawks (250cc). I went out and bought a Triumph Speedmaster (865cc) (http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/cruisers/speedmaster/2011/speedmaster) and I LOVE it. It was easy enough to handle in the beginning and a year later it still has plenty of power for me. On the flip side, my nieghbor went out a bought a Suzuki GSXR (650cc). Within three hours of having it she'd laid it down six times, burised her leg, sprained her ankle, and damn near broken her arm. It's done nothing but collect dust in her garage since. Now, she's trying to sell it and I doubt she will ever ride again.
    The most important thing is not the size of the bike. You have to feel comfortable on it. You have to be able to reach your handlebars comfortably and your feet HAVE to be firmly on the ground.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I got my MC license about 10 or 15 years ago. Never had the money to buy the bike. When I moved to Maine in 07, the girl at the registry talked me into keeping the MC license. I still have it, but don't think I will ever ride. Right now, I feel the risk is just to high for me. So I wish you a safe and fun riding experience.

If I did ride, would not wear a helmet and that is just too dangerous for me to risk.