Cold water

Options
Something I heard when I started on this journey is that drinking lots of COLD water. I heard that by drinking it really cold it helps burn extra calories. One day in a conversation with my sister, she claims she drinks "warm" water (yuck!!) I kind of blew it off because I knew as long as I was drinking water I would be ok. Then yesterday my brother (who is just a weirdo) posts something on facebook about the similar thing my sister had said. The article said that if you drink cold water during/after a meal, that it is bad for you. Anyone else ever heard this? If so, what are your thoughts on it? True or false??

Replies

• MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    idk the facts but I think drinking lots of water, cold or warm is good for you.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    I have heard drinking cold water speeds up metabolism and drinking room temp water helps burn calories lol I drink cold water as it's what I prefer. As long as your well hydrated I don't think it really matters :-)
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great Topic! Wish I could help answer it and I am very curious to see what is posted, I personally cannot drink it ice cold- it kills my teeth (ouch) I drink it cool.:drinker:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Quite some time ago, I heard that drinking cold water can burn a few extra calories. For me, if I drink lots of cold water, I get chilly. I mostly drink room temperature water; I can drink more, faster, than cold water.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing something like this a LONG time ago, but from my own extensive research, I have not really found anything on warm water, but cold (ice) water does in fact help you burn calories. Your body has to work to get the water the same as your body temperature.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Your sister and weirdo brother are correct, but so are you. Room temperature water is better for you because it helps digest food better. A galss of water before meals helps you eat less and less quickly and helps your digestion start quicker whil a glass of warm water after meals does help speed things along and also helps some of the bad stuff move thru your inestines quicker therfore not being absorbed.
    However you are right in that drinking water - ANY WATER, is better for you. Just drink. In the long run, that is what matters.
  • mslynne25
    mslynne25 Posts: 10
    Options
    bump
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My husband said that if you drink lots of cold water, your body has to change it to the right temp. in order to digest it. So if will make you seem fuller longer. Hot water is the same thing but it doesn't take as long. But that's all I know.

Hope it helps(:
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i prefer room temperature water (not hot but not super cold either, just perfect) cold water tends to hurt my mouth (I'm weird I know lol) but I also drink more water that is slightly cold than if i were to drink it straight from the fridge.

I have a brita waterbottle that i fill up with the cold tap water and i can drink it from there, but I like to put it in the door of the fridge for a little while and then i'll drink it and leave it sit out while i'm drinking it lol.

call me weird.
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    drinking cold liquids after a meal can harden the fats you have just eaten, making it harder to digest. drinking a cup of hot liquid after a meal is advised to help push any fatty foods through faster. otherwise, drinking cold water can burn a few more calories, but the other poster is right, water is good no matter what. these are my two cents. :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way. Water needs to be body temperature to be properly absorbed. The colder the water is, the harder your body has to work at absorbing it. You can burn up to 60kcal per 8 ounce glass of ice water you drink. I did the math in my blog for just warming up 1 8-ounce glass of water. 8 kcal (Calories as we count them!) just for warming it, never mind absorbing it!
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I have read that cold water speeds up your metabolism. But I think that as long as you're drinking water like you should be, it's all good. I personally don't like my water cold.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I heard that too, but I don't know how credible it is. My girlfriend says you shouldn't drink water at all (any temperature) during or after a meal, a claim that I'm also skeptical of. I do prefer my water slightly warm, but I say drink it whenever and at whatever temperature you like the best to ensure you drink enough of it.
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I have heard drinking cold water speeds up metabolism and drinking room temp water helps burn calories lol I drink cold water as it's what I prefer. As long as your well hydrated I don't think it really matters :-)

I've heard this too, I agree anything is better than nothing!!
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    The case is not that cold water make you wonders, but yes it is said and confirmed that cold water HELPS increase metabolism. Increase of metabolism = more calories burned.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just googled it and found this informtion......

http://www.healthtalkbuzz.com/2010/12/never-drink-cold-water-after-meal.html

and this was was awesome to read

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question447.htm

Hope this helps! I drink over a gallon of cold water every day! :) Happy chugging!
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Lets do a little math shall we.

1 calorie (Note the letter "c" is not capital) is needed to raise the temperature of 1g of water, 1 degrees Celsius
    Lets say you drank 500g of ice water. Assume the temperature of the water is 0 degrees Celsius.
    A good estimation of body temperature is 37 degrees Celcius

500X37=18500 calories

This unit with the small letter "c" does not represent the amount of energy contained in foods. That is actually the capital "C" or kilo-calories.

Therefore,

18500/1000=18.5 Calories

In the grand scheme of things. Does it really matter?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Something I heard when I started on this journey is that drinking lots of COLD water. I heard that by drinking it really cold it helps burn extra calories. One day in a conversation with my sister, she claims she drinks "warm" water (yuck!!) I kind of blew it off because I knew as long as I was drinking water I would be ok. Then yesterday my brother (who is just a weirdo) posts something on facebook about the similar thing my sister had said. The article said that if you drink cold water during/after a meal, that it is bad for you. Anyone else ever heard this? If so, what are your thoughts on it? True or false??

Never saw anything about cold water and food in the stomach.

But drinking cold water does cause the body to lose heat to it, so it must slightly raise metabolism to stay warm.
    Same reason being slightly chilled raises metabolism. So better to sleep cooler than warmer. Sadly out of winter now, so that cheap method is gone.

Now - you can't raise the metabolism safely if it's already being suppressed below where it would like to be. That means to stay warm for instance, energy is applied to that effort, and less is available for other functions that the body would really like to be able to do.

So this whole principle of raising metabolism only applies if your metabolism has the energy it needs for all normal functions anyway. In plain language, that means NETting above your BMR daily.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    The results of caloric burn from both are VERY MINOR, so drink water whichever way you prefer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The post that my brother put on said that it is bad enough for you (drinking cold water after a meal) that you can get cancer from it. Guess I'll stick with cold water during my "non-meal" times, and drink some warmer water after my meal. Thanks everyone for the overwhelming responses!!!