My lunch has how many calories??!!

Options
Hi Everyone,
I started (back) on MFP a little over a week ago. I'm a teacher, and was on spring break until today, so calorie counting and eating was relatively easy, since I wasn't at work and had my entire kitchen (and tons of time) to do what I needed.
I packed a pretty typical at-work lunch for today, and pre-entered it all last night so that I wouldn't fail to do so because of time during the work day. I was shocked to see that my lunch (again, a pretty typical at-work lunch) was 790 calories. When my daily goal is 1800, and my protein shake breakfast is nearly 500 (that I'm okay with), this leaves very little for dinner, which is usually my largest meal. I would ideally like my lunch to be around 450-550 calories, and I need some ideas.

There are, however, a few stipulations:
My lunch break is exactly 40 minutes long, so there's no time to run out during it.
I often supervise students' lunch periods, so I have to eat during that - meaning there's no time to sit and wait at a microwave.
I keep kosher, which (for anyone who doesn't know) is a set of religious dietary laws. This means that there are many foods I can't eat (too many to list), and lots of foods I can't mix meat or poultry with dairy. Even though there are many foods I can't eat, tyhere are more "regular" foods that I can (many of the foods in your kitchen are kosher, you just probably don't know it).

So, I need ideas. I'm a big guy (hence being here, and hence having an 1800 calorie/day goal), and I WILL fail at this if the things I'm eating do not make me feel full.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Can you eat sandwiches??
  • ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes - most sandwiches, just can't mix meat and dairy. My typical lunch has a PB&J sandwich.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    If you aren't too hung up on having something different every day, the easiest way is to do some bulk cooking on the weekend.
    When I was still working in an office I would make something like a large pot of chili or stew and then just portion it out for the week.
    Then the next weekend I would cook 5 hamburger patties, or chicken breasts for sandwiches.

It saves a lot of headaches, allows you to eat real food and is a breeze to track, On busy days, the less I have to think about lunch, the better I stick to my plan.
    198601 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you can - bring a large salad - tons of vegetables and cut up flavored skinless chicken breast. Minimal calories! I know it doesn't sound like it will fill you up, but it does and not a lot of calories.... just a thought!
  • DawnyB1210
    Options
    Hi-

When I eat at my desk, I like a sandwich with sliced turkey breast (I would double the serving size of the turkey for a big guy like yourself and two slices of hearty whole grain bread with some reduced fat mayo and cheese, lettuce and tomato. A cup of soup is a nice accompaniment, if you can find one that's not too high in sodium and adheres to your dietary restrictions. Then, there's always a huge bowl of salad greens with whatever protein you might want to add (tuna, roast beef, turkey, cheese, chopped egg) and a light salad dressing that doesn't contain dairy. I like to add 1/2 a pita to this lunch. Hope this helps and best of luck!
  • DawnyB1210
    Options
    If you aren't too hung up on having something different every day, the easiest way is to do some bulk cooking on the weekend.
    When I was still working in an office I would make something like a large pot of chili or stew and then just portion it out for the week.
    Then the next weekend I would cook 5 hamburger patties, or chicken breasts for sandwiches.

It saves a lot of headaches, allows you to eat real food and is a breeze to track, On busy days, the less I have to think about lunch, the better I stick to my plan.

What a great idea!!! I'm going to try that in the coming weeks!!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    do you exercise during the evening? if so that gives you more calories to use during dinner and you can go about with your current lunch.

my normal lunch is 700-900cal but lunch is my main meal of the day

my normal bf is 100-200 and dinner normal range is 500-600
    I exercise alot though and I do eat all my exercise cals back (HRM is a wonderful investment if you aren`t sure of your burns)
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I make salads, sandwiches, cup soups, pack some 100 cal treats... What did you have that was 900? Today I have a healthy choice steamer (180 cals), pringles (100 cals) and a banana (~100 cals). sometimes I make a couscous and black bean salad (allrecipes) and portion 1 cup a day (~160 cals) and add a cup of brocoli/carrots/caloflower.
  • adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What does your 790 calorie lunch consist of? You may be able to elimate a few high calorie items from that to get you where you need to be.

If you can't mix dairy and meat then have a sandwich without the dairy (I love cheese, but I can do without it).

Could you manage a 2 minute microwave meal? It doesn't take too long to heat up meat and veggies. You can precook over weekends, as others mentioned, and eat it during the week.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about kosher but I hit google and found a kosher diet delivery service. Could take a look at their menu for ideas:
    http://www.kosherdietdelivery.com/newthefood.php

Also, think outside the box and consider types of foods that you normally wouldn't eat at that time of day. Or foods that you don't mind eating hot or cold, like quiche or pizza. Maybe a thermos would keep soup hot until lunch if you had it very hot in the morning? Or get one of these gadgets you could take in a classroom with you and plug in:
    http://www.amazon.com/NORPRO-559-Immersion-Warming-Liquids/dp/B000I8VE68
  • ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for these ideas. A few notes. Last time I did MFP, I took salads every day. They had grilled chicken and hard boiled egg to add protein. I got so sick of it (every day for 4 or 5 months) that to this day I can't eat grilled chicken or hard boiled egg on salads.
    Maybe I will do some more salads, with just different ingredients (need to find something else I can put in salad for high protein) or bulk cooking.
    In my lunch now, makuing it 790 calories: PBJ sandwich, pistachios, yogurt, apple, baby carrots. (take a look at my diary for details on brands, etc.) I need all this protein, but not all the calories.
    Thanks again everyone.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the saying that says: "Eat breakfast like a King, Lunch like a noble, and dinner like a pauper?" I ran into the same problem of big lunches b/c I eat out EVERY day for lunch and they range anywhere from 500-800 calories; I have just had to retrain my eating habits to eat less for dinner (like a lunch meal) and I usually try to eat about 30 min later than normal so I don't get hungry at bed time...besides, those extra lunch cals should carry me longer.
  • utahk
    utahk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had success in the past with packing a lunch consisting of 1 C. low fat cottage cheese, lots of sliced fruit mixed in, a few nuts sprinkled on top, and some cinnamon for added flavor. This was compact and very satisfying. Try it for a change from salads.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    How about chicken wraps with lettuce and lite dressing. Or BBQ chicken wraps. I love cold chicken and I cook lots over the weekend then mix it in with salads, wraps or just eat it plain in the week when it is super crazy. Sorry I don't know anything about kosher. Have lots of ideas but don't know what you can eat. So will think some more and toss some out. Sorry in advanced if it is something you can't eat.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Thank you all for these ideas. A few notes. Last time I did MFP, I took salads every day. They had grilled chicken and hard boiled egg to add protein. I got so sick of it (every day for 4 or 5 months) that to this day I can't eat grilled chicken or hard boiled egg on salads.
    Maybe I will do some more salads, with just different ingredients (need to find something else I can put in salad for high protein) or bulk cooking.
    In my lunch now, makuing it 790 calories: PBJ sandwich, pistachios, yogurt, apple, baby carrots. (take a look at my diary for details on brands, etc.) I need all this protein, but not all the calories.
    Thanks again everyone.

i got this idea one here - salad with whatever veg you like (i'm a red pepper, cherry tomato, and carrot kind of girl). then for protein use cottage cheese mixed with a bit of ground pepper and garlic powder. dump the cottage cheese on the salad and add a vinaigrette dressing or even just some balsamic vinegar if you still need more flavour. but i found with the garlic powder it didn't need a lot more flavour.
    greek yogurt is also high in protein and low in fat, so you can look up some dressings made with greek yogurt (i don't know any recipes, but i'm sure there are some) to bump up the protein in the salad without adding meat.

good luck!
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    I like tortilla wraps with salad and protein in e.g. chicken, tuna, or cheese. What about couscous with chickpeas and beans (you could prepare it the night before and it can then be had hot or cold). Pasta and rice salads are also tasty and you could pack them full of protein.
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my salads but do find that you need to shake them up. Try some deli ham or turkey that does not have too much sodium. It is pretty low cal and it will help you to be more full. Also try to put salsa on your salad instead of dressing, different flavor. I bring snacks, celery, jello, different things with different tastes so that I dont get so bored with food.

If you bore yourself you will be more likely to cheat. I did weight watchers for 18 months and got so tired of food that eventually stopped and gained back 30 of the 96 pounds I had lost. So keep your head in the game and always look for the shocker for your lunch.

My biggest problem is that I like my snacks in the evening so I find myself trying to save as many calories for late as possible in order to have my popcorn or my krave cereal. And with easter jelly beans. I love jelly beans, just try to eat those in moderation!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipes/kosher may have some idea's for you
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    Mini Bow Tie Pasta and Vegetable Blend by schwans is good in a pinch with protein mixed in. Ive eaten it hot or cold.
  • jenmcdav
    jenmcdav Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks again everyone.

maybe try a taco salad with seasoned lean beef, salsa, banana peppers and if you wanted some crushed up baked tortilla chips. it would be filing and something different.