Cold water

Options
2»

Replies

• CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert by any means, but this is what I've heard so feel free to take it for what it's worth:

Drinking cold water expends more calories because your body works to warm it up. I prefer ice cold water, I'm completely addicted to ice, so this suits me just fine....the colder, the better :drinker:

Drinking water during a meal, at any temp, is not recommended because it helps to break down the foods too much & doesn't allow your body to work at full cpacity to digest it. Your body expends calories in digestion and by drinking too much during your meal, you are cheating yourself from that added benefit, too. I don't actually follow this one much simply because I am a big drinker anyway (I typically average 15-25 cups of water a day) & like something to drink with my meal. I do, however, try not to drink quite as much as or as quickly with my meals. Sometimes I succeed. A lot of times, I don't.

Considering it's just one little thing, I'd say that as long as you are drinking the appropriate amount of water per day, do what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • hartzd
    hartzd Posts: 1
    Options
    I have heard that drinking cold water burns more calories because your body has to expend energy to heat your body back up to the right temperature. That being said, colder temps make your digestive system not work as efficiently, so drinking COLD water after meals is probably not a good idea. Cold water may not be a good idea for women either, as the colder temps could have a negative impact on how our girly bits are functioning...not that you need to know that, just an FYI for all you ladies out there :)
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kehlly
    Kehlly Posts: 1
    Options
    I drink 4 cups of water in the morning, afternoon and at night and I weight even less the next day.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The post that my brother put on said that it is bad enough for you (drinking cold water after a meal) that you can get cancer from it. Guess I'll stick with cold water during my "non-meal" times, and drink some warmer water after my meal. Thanks everyone for the overwhelming responses!!!

about the cancer thing .. cancer runs high in my family and from what the drs have said ..
    everyone is born with a cancer gene .. its just a matter of, did we get the activating gene even then, its a matter of luck, whether or not you get it ( grandma, grandpa, newphew and cousin all had cancer in my more recent family history)

so some may get cancer, some may not .. water has nothing to do with it
    ---

i prefer my water so cold, it has ice forming (or i wont drink it)
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've heard drinking cold water flushes you and lukewarm water re-hydrates you. This came from my doctor when I asked the same question. Havent read the other comments yet so sorry if this was already mentioned. :)
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There is a show called Food Detectives, on Cooking Channel... the host is the same host from Chopped (Ted Allen). They sort of modeled it after Mythbusters but it's all to do with food. They did test it and found that it would burn more calories if you drank ice cold water (because your body has to heat it up to body temp. to use it) They did however state that it's really not that many calories so it's not that significant. The only negative thing I've heard about drinking cold water is that it can cause saturated fat in your food/digestive tract to solidify.....but I figure your body is warming everything up to 98.6-ish anyway.
    This would be if you deem Food Detective as a reliable source. =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeRrTVVuSaU