eat healthy on a budget! (CSA & Farmer's Markets)

Options
I see a lot of posts about healthy foods being more expensive- I keep a stocked pantry of grains and beans, oils and vinegars and herbs and spices (bulk, not too expensive) and-

Join a CSA (community supported agriculture)- you buy a share in a farm and you get a box of fruit and veggies every week all season. Alternately, you can shop weekly at a farmer's market- direct from the farmer organics are not as expensive.

Good luck!

Replies

• butterfly0819
    Options
    Is there information on CSA's out on the internet for us to find them? I wouldn't have any idea on how to start that but it sounds like a great idea!!
  • jenlee_74
    jenlee_74 Posts: 29
    Options
    I would search locally- finding the farmer's market would be a good first step and ask around there for the local CSA, I hope you can find one!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    CSA's must be cheap where you live. I joined one and it certainly was not within my budget. But I made it work because it was the right thing for me.
  • jenlee_74
    jenlee_74 Posts: 29
    Options
    Healthy food is #1 in my budget. Fuel for life. What could be more important? Ours is 100/month for the 5 month season. Reasonable to me, ya?
  • missfayefaye
    Options
    Yes! I did a CSA last year, and was introduced to a huge variety of veggies and fruits. I never had garlic scrapes or butternut squash until the CSA. I think it was about $100/month for veggies/produce and each week provided about 4 days worth of ingredients. During the farmer's markets, I picked up extra ingredients much cheaper (and fresher) than at the store. Unfortunately, this year I have to find another farm for my share, because the last one discontinued their CSA program. It's too bad; the farm was fantastic because they would have posts online about your weekly share along with recipes. I think it's definitely worth the money because I was very unfamiliar with some of the vegetables and this provided a healthy route for my meals.

Edit: You can find a CSA at www.localharvest.org

There are sometimes even CSA flower shares too. I LOVE flowers!
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I did a CSA a couple years ago and it was a giant disappointment. $750 for a full share for a season. We were supposed to get enough to feed 4, but most weeks received far less than we needed to feed our family of 3 (2 adults & one very light eating child), and much of the produce was of poor quality. The weather during the growing season was normal, it was a problem with the organization and running of the farm.

I'm much happier at the farmer's market, I get exactly what I pay for and don't have to make lots of extra $$$ trips there anyway to buy enough to actually feed my family.

CSA's are a great idea, but there are too many variables for me to want to tie up my money like that again.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I did a CSA a couple years ago and it was a giant disappointment. $750 for a full share for a season. We were supposed to get enough to feed 4, but most weeks received far less than we needed to feed our family of 3 (2 adults & one very light eating child), and much of the produce was of poor quality. The weather during the growing season was normal, it was a problem with the organization and running of the farm.

I'm much happier at the farmer's market, I get exactly what I pay for and don't have to make lots of extra $$$ trips there anyway to buy enough to actually feed my family.

CSA's are a great idea, but there are too many variables for me to want to tie up my money like that again.

I agree, the CSAs around here are outrageous. I go to a local farmer's market to do my shopping and they are really cheap and I can feed my family of 7 with what I buy there. Some CSAs have a website where you can get info about their monthly boxes before you shell out the money-some of them even let you go tour their farms and such. It's worth the research of one doesn't have a good local Farmer's Market.