Getting protein into my diet, need help!

Options
BuckeyeLife
BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
So I modified my diet to require more protein. Wooo. So now I am just putting more chicken, beef, tuna, and egg whites in my diet. This still won't get me entirely where I need to be so I have been looking into protein powders and found Dymatize Iso-100 shipped to me for $58, which makes it as affordable as prices I was seeing for the blend. I figure I will probably aim for 2 servings of this a day. Now the trick is, I am not sure what is the best way to get this into my system. I am suspecting a shake form would be best, but I am not really familiar with making shakes or any of it. This is where I need you guys! I need suggestions on how to get this into my body easily! I should mention, I hate vegetables, so if that is avoidable that helps me a LOT. Thank you so much for your time!

Replies

• Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I blend my flavorless whey protein isolate powder with OJ, and chocolate protein powder with unsweetened almond milk. Yummo!
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I found turkey to be a much better protein source than chicken, so give some of that a go too. :)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    -Greek yogurt (plain, mixed, used as replacement sour cream etc)
    - Cottage cheese (same as above)
    - Shakes (can add a fruit, veggies etc you won't taste veggies much)
    - Precooked chicken (with salad, sandwiches, pasta, main dish etc)
    - You can add protein powder to cooking/baking (cookies, squares, muffins) and oatmeal.

:smile:
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, but I get more than enough protein and usually get more than what myfitnesspal recommends! :tongue: I eat fish on occasion, but I get protein from grains like oats and brown rice, beans lentils and chick peas, nuts and seeds (chia seeds/flax seeds are a MUST, add them to anything...cereal, smoothies, pasta sauce etc...) protein shakes and bars, soy milk and yoghurt (GREEK in particular), cheese & veg like broccoli and mushrooms have a high protein percentage (even though you don't like them you may learn to love them as I did...to be honest I retched at the thought of them before I lost over 50lbs! Now I crave them) PEANUT BUTTER is the most deliciously indulgent way to get a bit of extra protein, or almond butter if your aiming for healthier :) Protein is in just about everything, just experiment with a few different few combinations to ensure maximum amounts are added into your diet if that is what you're after x
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Oh...and eggs...^duh haha
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just mix it with milk or water and drink it down. I prefer water to save the calories for elsewhere .Use a shaker bottle for work and a blender at home with ice and some berries. I usually drink two a day, morning/afternoon. I have to supplement protein, I can't eat enough lean meat in a day.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For protein, I use the following;

-protein shakes
    -greek yogurt
    -egg whites
    -chicken
    -PB
    -cottage cheese

Best of luck!!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You can put the protein powder in anything. If you look at my food diary, I have it every morning.... it is in my coffee, just mixed in. It is kind of like a mocha coffee drink if you use chocolate. For a while I was using chocolate and peanut butter in my coffee...that was yummy. The vanilla can mix in about anything without causing too much hate or discontent. I have also mixed it into oatmeal, or ice and water or skim milk in a blender to make a shake.
    There are no rules to using it.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    adding a lot of extra protein into your diet doesn't really help you. Your body only uses a certain amount of protein everyday and then passes the rest out of your body. Just eat the recommended daily allowance of protein and that is sufficient. I tend to overeat protein without even trying. Most people, except for vegetarians maybe, easiy get enough protein everyday. The one time that I do drink a protein shake is after a workout.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options

This is almost exactly what I was looking for, thank you! (I am not good with forum searches.)
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    I found turkey to be a much better protein source than chicken, so give some of that a go too. :)

I've never really eaten turkey, so its on a list to give a try. I am skeptical about it but going to give it a shot. (I love chicken and tuna, so it is going to have to wow me.)
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    Just mix it with milk or water and drink it down. I prefer water to save the calories for elsewhere .Use a shaker bottle for work and a blender at home with ice and some berries. I usually drink two a day, morning/afternoon. I have to supplement protein, I can't eat enough lean meat in a day.

I was reading something that I thought said there were better ways to deliver it to my system than water, or rather faster. I will keep note of this for the simplest solution when needed though, thank you!
  • nancysiems
    nancysiems Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The Dymatize protein should be pretty good. I like to make protein shakes with water, ice, a little plain nonfat greek yogurt, and half of a banana or a handful of frozen berries. If that isn't easy enough, just make it with water and ice in a blender bottle. Best time of day would be after a workout or in between meals as a snack. Good luck! Also, if you can handle the greek yogurt (plain nonfat is healthiest), that has 20 grams of protein per serving. It is good mixed with splenda, and berries. I like to add ezekial cereal about 1-2 tablespoons to add protein, a little carb, and some crunch.....
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    adding a lot of extra protein into your diet doesn't really help you. Your body only uses a certain amount of protein everyday and then passes the rest out of your body. Just eat the recommended daily allowance of protein and that is sufficient. I tend to overeat protein without even trying. Most people, except for vegetarians maybe, easiy get enough protein everyday. The one time that I do drink a protein shake is after a workout.

Everything I have seen recommends like 1g protein/lb for body builders. I am not a body builder, I may never be. But Right now even half that has me at 125g/day, and I can get close pretty consistently. I'd rather overkill this than under, there is a chance I will be upping my daily goal more later as well. I put in 2-3 hours of tennis and am working my way towards endurance runs next year. I kind of feel I will need the protein sooner than later and am trying to find solutions to start evolving my intake into.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I used to use protein powders because it is a quick and easy way to up your protein. However, I became leery of them after a Consumer Reports analysis of 15 commonly sold protein powders in 2010. Because they are unregulated, manufacturers can make lots of claims about them which don't have to be substantiated. The CR had independent labs test 15 popular brands and found high levels of arsenic, lead, mercury, cadmium among other heavy metals. When it comes down to it, you may be better off from a cost and health standpoint of sticking to getting your protein from natural whole foods - like yogurt, eggs and poultry which have additional nutritional benefits and limit your exposure to these heavy metals.

here is a link to the CR summary
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can buy whey protein isolate from body fortress in walmart for 15 bucks, they have a lots of flavors and you mix it with water or milk and best time to use is after work out cause it also has l- carnine and other stuff which is critical for muscle recovery. Good luck
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    The Dymatize protein should be pretty good. I like to make protein shakes with water, ice, a little plain nonfat greek yogurt, and half of a banana or a handful of frozen berries. If that isn't easy enough, just make it with water and ice in a blender bottle. Best time of day would be after a workout or in between meals as a snack. Good luck! Also, if you can handle the greek yogurt (plain nonfat is healthiest), that has 20 grams of protein per serving. It is good mixed with splenda, and berries. I like to add ezekial cereal about 1-2 tablespoons to add protein, a little carb, and some crunch.....

Awesomely simple and I totally love it! Thank you!
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    I used to use protein powders because it is a quick and easy way to up your protein. However, I became leery of them after a Consumer Reports analysis of 15 commonly sold protein powders in 2010. Because they are unregulated, manufacturers can make lots of claims about them which don't have to be substantiated. The CR had independent labs test 15 popular brands and found high levels of arsenic, lead, mercury, cadmium among other heavy metals. When it comes down to it, you may be better off from a cost and health standpoint of sticking to getting your protein from natural whole foods - like yogurt, eggs and poultry which have additional nutritional benefits and limit your exposure to these heavy metals.

here is a link to the CR summary
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm

I am likely looking to use something for this mainly as a post workout supplement, which would benefit more from fast digestion. But thank you for warning, I am going to look into this more as I have heard about this before and want to try and be careful.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Maybe its because I'm sleepy or immature but I totally just thought of a dirty joke when i saw this title. I'll leave it to imagination. In regards to getting the protein in a way you like it, just stir it in some oatmeal in the morning. It adds a little more flavor. If its chocolate stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter too and it taste like a reeses cup and is great for you!