recipes for chia seeds?

Options
sanura
sanura Posts: 459 Member
hi! I just recently read about some of the health benefits of chia seeds. I know you can use them as an egg replacement in baking.
I'd love to hear some ideas, what do you make with chia seeds??

Replies

• astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    An egg replacement really!!!??? I hadn't heard that but it is awesome! I have been adding chia seeds to my oatmeal every morning and have added it to my yogurt and protein shakes. I like the idea of maybe trying them in a cake. Thanks for the post I am anxious to see what others have done! :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I made a Garfield with chia seeds one time.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have a bag of them that I need to start using again. I used to put them in my overnight oats, but since I cut back on oatmeal, I am at a loss of ideas other than tossing them in my shakes.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Can you smoke them?
  • erinoldham19
    Options
    i add them to everything... tea, yogurt, salad, soups, omletes, tomato sauce... with them having no flavor and exacerbating the flavors surrounding them they make everything taste so much better.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options

LOL!!! That's about the extent of my chia seed usage too!
  • sanura
    Options
    haha! we've had a few chia pets as well!!!
    thanks for the great ideas!
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i add them to everything... tea, yogurt, salad, soups, omletes, tomato sauce... with them having no flavor and exacerbating the flavors surrounding them they make everything taste so much better.

yep, me too. i also add them to my water in the morning, with a squeeze of citrus, also toss them in tomato sauce, so good
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Add them to oatmeal or hot cereal, yogurt, muffin or pancake mixes, smoothies etc. Flax and Chia seeds are great and full of Omega- 3's!!
  • sanura
    Options
    wow, I just love adding them to my tea!! what a fun texture! it really tickles my inner child!
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I add mine to my oatmeal and smoothies!

K
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    chia pudding is YUMMMYY!!! making puddings out of them i found is great! 1 cup milk or almond or soy milk with like 3 tbsp chia seeds, let it sit for 15 min in the fridge, BAM!! its almost like tapioca. otherwise i put them in everything i can! sprinkle them on cereal in a glass of milk or even water. they're great at helping you with hydration.

and yes! just like flax seeds you can substitute eggs for cooking or baking with chia seeds. once you soak them they grow like a clear ring around them, almost jello like. actually..im gonna make some pudding when i get home!! i have chocolate almond milk..mmmmm

if you want to thicken sauces up or anything you can sprinkle them in and let em settle up...they're FANTASTIC!!!
  • pmdhardy
    pmdhardy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered them and can't believe i never heard of them before. So I have started using them this week.. putting a spoonful in yogurt and love it in my smoothies. It makes them thicker and no taste to the seeds at all. I make the gel first and then put it in the blender for smoothies. That way the seeds don't stick to the sides of the cup. Not brave enough to do the pudding yet..lol.. looks kind of yucky!! but I will try it soon. Just need to find the right flavours so I can eat it.
    :happy: