5K race: last minute preparation

Options
My friend just told me she had signed me up for a 5K race.... which will happen on Friday! We went to train on Sunday, and managed to cover 4.6 km distance. I had to walk after running 3.5 km and then I picked up the pace again. The point is, I don't think I'm ready for a 5K but I do want to run. Do you have any tips on what I should do in these last few days which are left? Should I work out more or less?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    First, there is NO shame in walking part of it. I've done numerous 5ks, 20ks and will do my third halfmarathon in April. I walk part of each. Always. Olympic marathoner Jeff Galloway has a whole training program based on "walk breaks". Studies show most runners record fast times by taking walk breaks.

IOW, forget about trying to do it all and do it all fast. Just do it.
  • SunshineCarrie
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll use this more as an opportunity to see what a 5K really means so I can run my planned race in May really well!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    someone just said this, but walk if you need to. There is no "shame" in doing that. You may find that you have no trouble completing the whole thing running, though...sometimes the excitement of running with a lot of people will carry you through. Just make sure you start out slow, a lot of times people get caught up in the excitement and start out too fast. Have fun!
  • rpillen
    rpillen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first 5k Saturday after only deciding to do it about 1 week prior. I hadn't really run more than a mile and kept telling everyone that there was no way i could run the whole thing. I ended up only walking .3 miles! It felt so awesome to say i did it ! Definately do it! and walk whatever you need to! it will be a great experience and i've already decided to do it again.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Set your pace at whatever you feel comfortable and, if needed take walk breaks (especially if you haven't really been training for it).

Your goal for your first 5K is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face!
  • utahk
    utahk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Alternate walking and jogging. Try 3 minutes jogging, 1 minute walking. If you feel strong, try it in a 5/1 ratio. Adjust as needed. Important point: don't try to do too much or go too fast -- doing this without training is how injuries happen. I've been told not to increase time or distance by more than 10% per week. That means take it easy if you haven't trained!