Plateau

Options
I am at a weight plateau. (however you spell it) I haven't lost anything in almost 2 weeks. I am working out, eating my calories, not going over. It is very frustrating. How long do these spells last, b/c it makes me almost want to give up on everything that I am doing. I am passing up everything that I would give a arm and leg to eat, waking up 2 hours before work in the morning and afternoon (depends on what shift I am on that week) to work out and I am stuck......is there anything I can do to help me get over this plateau?

Replies

• mmbertrand
    Options
    Make sure you actually eat enough calories a day to make your body function. Other than that, I think a plateau is normal at some point, you just gotta keep trying! Seems to me like you are doing good!
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more in general. You need more veggies (less potatoes) and try to eat less processed foods in general. Check out the group eat more to weigh less. 1200 calories/day with exercise isn't enough for most people.

I just broke through my plateau today (hooray!) by eating more and weight lifting more.

:flowerforyou: good luck!
  • deverdad
    deverdad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eat more. I also hit a 5 week plateau and it wasn't until I increased my daily caloric intake that I finally broke through it. Try upping your calories by around 200 or so for a couple of weeks and see what your results are. Best of luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I spent a week eating at maintenance and that helped out some. I took a look at your diary and many days you are hardly eating anything. That's not good for your body and can be a contribution to a plateau.
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am also at a plateau and my MFP friends advised me drink more water and change my excercise routine Incase my body has adjusted. Also they said to have a couple of cheat days to reset your metabolism then go back to healthy eating . I only started today so I cant tell you wether it works or not though! good luck :)
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Had a look at your diary, you are barely eating your calories - try snacking throughout the day as I notice you are only having 3 meals a day. You should mix up your meals too as i noted a few times you had the same foods.

When you eat your calories try to ensure that your NET calories are hitting 1200 or even up your calorie intake (have you set 1200 or did MFP?)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    are you logging everything? if so, you're eating too little. best way to add calories is to maybe have an extra serving of whatever you're eating anyway. for example: eating one egg, eat two instead. you don't have to skip ALL treats either. and there is a such thing as too much exercise if you don't plan on eating a lot of food to sustain that that activity level. for example, I LOVE exercising, so I eat upward of 1,700-2,000 calories if I burn a butt load of calories
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    CHANGE IT UP! Get out of your current routine because your body has adapted.

Workout in the evening, eat more, fast for a day, have intense workouts, take some days off….just change it up. You’ll bust through it and when you do you’ll likely see some fast losses as a result. Don’t give up.

If staying on your diet is too hard, it’s not worth it. Add more calories to an enjoyable level (while still remaining in a deficit so you'll lose weight) and just understand that losing weight isn’t a race. What’s a few more months? Nothing if you really think about it and you'll be better prepared to keep it off.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can already tell by your diary that you are under eating and eating way too much fast food. You don't have much to lose, so you can't have a large calorie deficit. You should probably aim for 1/2 lb or maybe a 1 lb per week. Also, you should be eating some of your calories back from exercise. I know it sounds counter intuitive but your body needs fuel to burn the fire for you to lose weight. Also, are you weight lifting yet?

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

What I usually suggest to get out of a plateau, eat at maintenance for a week and don't exercise. That has broken almost every plateau I have seen (including mine). Also, you are at a stall, not a plateau. Plateaus are several months.
  • utvolsfan74
    utvolsfan74 Posts: 105
    Options
    Had a look at your diary, you are barely eating your calories - try snacking throughout the day as I notice you are only having 3 meals a day. You should mix up your meals too as i noted a few times you had the same foods.

When you eat your calories try to ensure that your NET calories are hitting 1200 or even up your calorie intake (have you set 1200 or did MFP?)

MFP did
  • utvolsfan74
    Options
    are you logging everything? if so, you're eating too little. best way to add calories is to maybe have an extra serving of whatever you're eating anyway. for example: eating one egg, eat two instead. you don't have to skip ALL treats either. and there is a such thing as too much exercise if you don't plan on eating a lot of food to sustain that that activity level. for example, I LOVE exercising, so I eat upward of 1,700-2,000 calories if I burn a butt load of calories
    yes I log everything, I will add more calories
  • utvolsfan74
    Options
    Thank you for ya'll advise. I will add more calories and try to eat better. All though I am eating alot better than I was before I started. I do hate eating out alot but with my schedule at the sheriff's department, I have to when I work and at home, well.......I really don't know how to cook there for the eating out or the frozen dinners. I am going to bring out my george foreman grill out and start using that more. I love grilled vegies. I was really surprised though last night when I logged me grill onions how many calories where in them. If anyone has any good EASY EASY recipes for me to try I am all ears. Thank you again for ya'll advise it really does help!!!!
  • utvolsfan74
    Options
    I can already tell by your diary that you are under eating and eating way too much fast food. You don't have much to lose, so you can't have a large calorie deficit. You should probably aim for 1/2 lb or maybe a 1 lb per week. Also, you should be eating some of your calories back from exercise. I know it sounds counter intuitive but your body needs fuel to burn the fire for you to lose weight. Also, are you weight lifting yet?

What I usually suggest to get out of a plateau, eat at maintenance for a week and don't exercise. That has broken almost every plateau I have seen (including mine). Also, you are at a stall, not a plateau. Plateaus are several months.

No I haven't started weight lifting yet, just the jillian michaels 30 day shred. My work schedule is to much of a headache to get a gym membership. I work rotating 12 hour shifts and need I say more, lol
  • utvolsfan74
    Options
    CHANGE IT UP! Get out of your current routine because your body has adapted.

Workout in the evening, eat more, fast for a day, have intense workouts, take some days off….just change it up. You’ll bust through it and when you do you’ll likely see some fast losses as a result. Don’t give up.

If staying on your diet is too hard, it’s not worth it. Add more calories to an enjoyable level (while still remaining in a deficit so you'll lose weight) and just understand that losing weight isn’t a race. What’s a few more months? Nothing if you really think about it and you'll be better prepared to keep it off.

my routine changes weekly due to being on 12 hour rotating shifts, so when I work days I work out in the morning before work and when I work nights I work out in the afternoons before I go in. Normally when I get off of work I am to exhausted to work out when I get home that is why I don't work out in the evenings when on days. Once a month I get 7 days off straight and I wake up around 7 or 8 and work out then, maybe I will alternate my workouts on those days off.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

No I haven't started weight lifting yet, just the jillian michaels 30 day shred. My work schedule is to much of a headache to get a gym membership. I work rotating 12 hour shifts and need I say more, lol
    You dont need a gym member, look into chalean extreme. It's not as cardio based and it's better for fat loss.
  • Cindygutie
    Cindygutie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hi! I am not much of a cook myself, but i find that hungry girl has a lot of easy recipes, some only involve mugs and microwaves! So check it out when you get a chance. good luck!
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/
  • aldaerr
    aldaerr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice to give, except that I'm on my last 15 pounds and I also hit a plateau for the past three weeks. I've been doing 1200 calories a day (or less) sometimes eating my exercise calories, sometimes not. I walk about 3 miles 4-5 times per week, and I'm also doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (with kettlebell). Plateaus SUCK! Try not to give up!
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    hey all of us have been there. But let me tell you what I've tried recently that I think has worked for me. I know your time is probably hectic like everyones but I have started trying to split up my exercise. I try to do 30-45 minutes time I wake up, then I will do 30-45 later. I have also increased my calorie intake. I haven't changed anything with my numbers on mfp but I try to eat closer to 1500 calories and of coarse you know you really shouldn't eat less than 1200. You just have to keep trying different things. What works for me may not work for you!! But whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP!! You've come too far!!! Best of luck on your journey!!
  • utvolsfan74
    Options

You dont need a gym member, look into chalean extreme. It's not as cardio based and it's better for fat loss.

is that a dvd workout or something on the internet?
  • utvolsfan74
    Options
    hi! I am not much of a cook myself, but i find that hungry girl has a lot of easy recipes, some only involve mugs and microwaves! So check it out when you get a chance. good luck!
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/

thank you very much. Yeah the fire department here sends me a check for NOT cooking, lol