and to me it's .......:cry::cry: :cry:

can I add squash or apple juice

please help, anyone have any advice I will be so grateful

meg

Replies

• bwehr316
    bwehr316 Posts: 14
    Options
    i drink mostly plain water but when i need something diffrent i go with the flavor packets you add to water... at least it helps me get my water in for the day sometimes... and I usually only do that 2-3 times a week! Im hoping as the weather warms up it will be easier to get all that water drank haha
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Can I add any flavours to water, as I cannot drink it :sick:

hate the taste either from the tap or bottle, have tried all bottled waters,

meg

Yes, it will still be water if you add flavour to it. Some people choose to only count plain water in their daily totals, but your body can use the fluid from any (non-alcoholic) drinks. The amount of sugar, caffeine, additives, calories etc have an effect on overall health/weight loss, but purely for fluid intake, squash and juice are fine.

You might find this interesting: http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4280
  • megimoops
    megimoops Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Can I add any flavours to water, as I cannot drink it :sick:

hate the taste either from the tap or bottle, have tried all bottled waters,

meg

Yes, it will still be water if you add flavour to it. Some people choose to only count plain water in their daily totals, but your body can use the fluid from any (non-alcoholic) drinks. The amount of sugar, caffeine, additives, calories etc have an effect on overall health/weight loss, but purely for fluid intake, squash and juice are fine.

You might find this interesting: http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4280

many thanks for your answer, I do only add a very small amout of juice to my water
  • megimoops
    Options
    i drink mostly plain water but when i need something diffrent i go with the flavor packets you add to water... at least it helps me get my water in for the day sometimes... and I usually only do that 2-3 times a week! Im hoping as the weather warms up it will be easier to get all that water drank haha

are the flavour packets in chemist shops, I really do struggle to drink water, and thank you for your help

meg
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It takes roughly six weeks to change a habit.

I expect if you drink one glass of plain water every single day you will grow to just accept it. Water has no real taste. Keep pushing because if you can drink water over anything else you'll save an awful lot of calories!
  • megimoops
    Options
    I did take a 500ml bottle on my bike ride today, and it is almost finished, yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I add mio to my water.. it's great.
  • carly_pear
    carly_pear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You could try adding some lemon juice.....

I struggled with water for years, but I went out and bought one of the big reusable plastic cups with straw, I pack it with ice and water and now I have no problem getting my water in. Has to be ice cold though. Good luck!
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Take 6 oz carbonated plain water and add 2 oz 100% fruit juice (make sure to count the calories). It's very good!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    To me, "squash" is this:
    : any of various fruits of plants (genus Cucurbita) of the gourd family widely cultivated as vegetables; also : a plant and especially a vine that bears squashes — compare summer squash, winter squash

I think you all call it vegetable marrow. I had no idea why anyone would add it to water!

I was glad to learn that the original poster must have meant this:
    British : sweetened citrus fruit juice often served with added soda water

So my answer to the questions: Squash? Yes. Apple juice? Yes. Vegetable marrow? No. A little of bit of flavoring doesn't counteract the hydrating impact of water!
  • Amh32290
    Amh32290 Posts: 65
    Options
    squeeze 1 lemon wedge in a glass of water and put the wedge in there, it gives it a dull lemonade taste but its good!
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I LOVE lemon in my water.
    Real lemon, not the juice.
  • chicky26
    chicky26 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    To me, "squash" is this:
    : any of various fruits of plants (genus Cucurbita) of the gourd family widely cultivated as vegetables; also : a plant and especially a vine that bears squashes — compare summer squash, winter squash

I think you all call it vegetable marrow. I had no idea why anyone would add it to water!

So my answer to the questions: Squash? Yes. Apple juice? Yes. Vegetable marrow? No. A little of bit of flavoring doesn't counteract the hydrating impact of water!

Love it soooo funny, squash can also be added to lemonade mmmmmmmmmm tasty.
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    To me, "squash" is this:

I love reading your posts! You are hilarious!

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I used to HATE water as well and now it's usually the only thing I drink minus coffee, the occasional tea and diet pop.

Straight water is always the best for you however some people just can't stomach it. Maybe try to get yourself into the habit of drinking it plain. Have a glass a day for a week than two of plain water and slowly increase. Drinking it really cold helps some people as well as another poster has pointed out as the way they drink water. Maybe try that?

When I started trying to drink more water I added lemon slices, lime slices, orange slices, cucumber, etc to pitchers of water and left that in the fridge taking a glass at a time. I slowly removed the slices of things until it was all just water.

I tried the Crystal light type packets but didn't like the taste. You'll find something you like! If you have a favourite decaf tea you could make your own iced tea!
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    add frozen fruit to water like ice cubes. the packets have artificial flavors, especially things like aspartme, gives me a headache
  • jillybean_1171
    Options
    I too have trouble with water so I started to use the Crystal Light packets in my water bottle. The instructions call for 1 packet per 500ml of water - but my water bottle holds 750ml of water and I add half the packet. Gives the water some flavor - but not overwhelming. Also - something that I just started this weekend was putting 250ml of Diet Cranberry Juice (10cals per serving) and then 500ml of water. That helped me get a lot of water in on the weekend when I normally have a really hard time ...
  • megimoops
    Options
    I just add 2tbls of apple juice to 750ml water as this is what my bottle holds
    many thanks for all your replies

meg
  • Heather20646
    Options
    I stick with lemons or limes sliced up...I try to stay away from water flavors and Mio because they contain artificial flavors (sucralose, etc) so I insist they aren't good for me.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries are really good! As well, a small wedge of watermelon or lemon, or a couple mint leafs! :)